Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2017, 10:50 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,236,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

It looks like Irma is taking aim at southern Florida. There will be another 5,500,000 people at risk or maybe even more. It is hard to tell where the hurricane will end up after that. It's a very dangerous storm and we need to keep our eyes on it. Many in Florida should be evacuating.
My sister in law left Key Largo yesterday...she said all the big box stores were out of 'hurricane' type supplies since last week since most of the supplies had already been shipped to Houston last week and hadn't been restocked.
On a lighter note, a friend of mine who lives in Fort Myers said he is prepared...only thing he is short on is some AA and AAA batteries...
I told him I would send him all of my Dead Batteries...free of charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 11:36 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
My sister in law left Key Largo yesterday...she said all the big box stores were out of 'hurricane' type supplies since last week since most of the supplies had already been shipped to Houston last week and hadn't been restocked.
On a lighter note, a friend of mine who lives in Fort Myers said he is prepared...only thing he is short on is some AA and AAA batteries...
Irma is now the largest storm ever recorded in the Atlantic. She has 180 mph winds. If your friends are in Florida; they might want to consider moving depending on where they are located. But it is a huge hurricane and possibly the whole state could be affected.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:50 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,236,615 times
Oh...really? well damn Fisheye...thanks for the info..didn't know that...

we don't have TV, internet, weather maps here in NJ, Fl. or Puerto Rico ...so we count on a guy from Nepa to give us our weather info.

They are all out of there..as of last night..They have been living there for a looong time and have been through many storms/ hurricanes.

Last edited by mr.magoo; 09-05-2017 at 05:00 PM..

Old 09-05-2017, 05:14 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,900,271 times
It cuts both ways, the same people who bust on us in the northeast when it's cold and snowy are now faced with this monster Irma. There are always choices one can make and some love the beach but I'll take the mountains any day over the beach. For the all the reasons already stated in this thread, not only is the area generally safer from disasters I just the love the nature here. That said, all my thoughts and prayers to everyone in harm's way of this major dangerous hurricane.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:17 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Good to see that he took precautions! You never know!

It looks like Irma is taking aim at southern Florida. There will be another 5,500,000 people at risk or maybe even more. It is hard to tell where the hurricane will end up after that. It's a very dangerous storm and we need to keep our eyes on it. Many in Florida should be evacuating.
It changes every day, every 12 hours. For a while, I thought it was going to slam North Carolina as it often does. Wherever it hits, everything North will suffer. It always does.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
I have lots and lots of batteries. And candles. And firewood. Not doing that a second time.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It changes every day, every 12 hours. For a while, I thought it was going to slam North Carolina as it often does. Wherever it hits, everything North will suffer. It always does.
They are still not too sure of the track. It looks like it is going to hit southern Florida as a Category 4 with 140 mph winds; but it will be a large storm with lots of rain. Storm surge will be a issue and flooding. Of course 140 mph winds will level just about anything in it's path. Right now the projected path from Florida looks like it will go close to the Georgia/Alabama line and head towards us. Of course we are supposed tp have a high pressure ridge in place that could divert Irma off the coast. We will have to wait and see. Of course we would only get tropical storm winds or less; but Irma could cause flooding if it hits our area.

There is one more potential hurricane behind Irma; Jose. That looks like it might track north and leave us alone - but too soon to tell. Then, back in the Gulf there is a disturbance that has an 80% chance of development - that could spell more problems for the Houston and Louisiana coastline. It's a really bad year for our Southern neighbors!

Old 09-05-2017, 08:26 PM

As if it hasn't been a cool and rainy enough year. The few tomatoes I got were all split from too much rain. Not sure why they fell off of the vine when I touched them. Probably has something to do with too much water. The zucchini was overcome by powdery mildew. The dill was pathetic.

I've lived in three areas which suffered disaster, but I was spared each time. There's nothing special about me and I was just lucky. The big, old tree fell next to the house. The flood waters didn't get further than the bottom of the driveway. That was sort of fun. My son and his friend had the canoe out in the flooded street. Small tornadoes have skipped through town tearing off roofs, but not mine.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
As if it hasn't been a cool and rainy enough year. The few tomatoes I got were all split from too much rain. Not sure why they fell off of the vine when I touched them. Probably has something to do with too much water. The zucchini was overcome by powdery mildew. The dill was pathetic.

I've lived in three areas which suffered disaster, but I was spared each time. There's nothing special about me and I was just lucky. The big, old tree fell next to the house. The flood waters didn't get further than the bottom of the driveway. That was sort of fun. My son and his friend had the canoe out in the flooded street. Small tornadoes have skipped through town tearing off roofs, but not mine.
It's always great to be lucky; no matter where you live!

Old 09-06-2017, 03:19 AM

Quote:
It's always great to be lucky; no matter where you live!
Years ago, I worked in downtown Wilkes-Barre. Once in a while, I went to the news stand on the corner--I don't think that's even a thing any more--and bought a daily number ticket. I won a few times. In January, the Times Leader posted all of the winning numbers for the year. If I'd bought a ticket every day, straight and boxed, I would have come out hundreds of dollars ahead. I always used my birth date. I guess I was born on a lucky day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania