Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2017, 05:22 AM

28,900 posts, read 30,279,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
no coyotes in PR...
No one made out in the 'storm'. it wasn't a storm..it was a a Cat.5 huracán

The Island is devastated.

My place is central West Coast..right on the beach.

It will be one of the last areas to receive aid..it has no port nor airfield.
There has been absolutely NO communication with that part of the Island since P u t a Maria hit.

When she told me of how the people must sleep outside, with their babies, she really started to cry...

My Casa ..It is just a building..bricks, wood..siding. if it is gone for good..the beach will still be there, as beautiful as ever..and hopefully we will rebuild.. no problema.

I am worried about my 92 yr. old FIL, a WWII/Korean War vet , served with the Famed 65th Infantry Rgt..
After a long week, we heard briefly from him on Tues. near one of the remaining cell towers in Ponce, the town, he retired to in 2002.

neighbors were taking him to a local store, they were stocking up on what little provisions are left in the area.
He said he had a tank and a 1/2 of propane left, and everyone would be cooking at his place that afternoon..

One thing one must know about the people of Puerto Rico..
Familia is everything, everyone shares what little they have, Family and neighbors first take care of La Viejas the elderly, and la niñas the kids first.

Much love for these people..
Dear friend, I hope this gives you some hope....I work for a huge company, actually world wide. We have a woman who works with our house cleaning department, who came here from PR. She and I exchange conversations all the time. Well, the beginning of this week, she came into my cubical and was crying for her family...she explained the same things you have written here. Someone in her local community where she lives, has donated an empty store front & boxes, where they are gathering supplies for the people of PR.

When she told me of how they have nothing, and how they must sleep outside, with their babies, the tears really started to flow....

I asked her if it would be ok, to send out an email to all the admins, in our building asking for help with donations. She smiles and thanked me.

Well what was to happen next, never in a thousand years was I ready for what happened. Received an email yesterday, from the admin whose manager heads out this entire building.

Guess what! They are now in the process of organizing a building wide collection! They are placing bins out for collection, and bringing in all kinds of items, ladies things, gently used clothing, water, canned goods, over the counter meds...tooth paste, tooth brushes, bug sprays, wipes, plastic bags to put the smaller items in, soaps, shampoos, men's needs, pampers, children's books, and small toys, etc..., bushes, combs, it's a lovely miracle!!!

I am so so happy. God is Good!!! I will keep you and yours in my prayers...especially, your FIL.

They need to start putting up tents for the people, plus made shift stores with all the items that are being donated.
And I'm sure they will start soon.

Help me spread the word, these people need everything....they have nothing left, and FEMA needs to start putting up tents for temporary housing.

Lets go America, these people need us.....

Last edited by cremebrulee; 09-29-2017 at 05:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 06:40 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,236,615 times
Thank you, Cremebrulee..you are a darling.

Ironically, there is literally tons of supplies on the docks in San Juan, there is a extreme dearth of TRUCK DRIVERS to deliver the goods,
They are even asking for former drivers with no longer valid CDLs to deliver..but they will not be allowed to deliver propane, combustibles etc.

A lot of the people live in the central Sierra region, (Highlands) small winding roads many blocked with downed poles and trees.
Many obstacles...
Hopefully with the temporary suspension of the Jones Act... supplies, ships, and aid personnel from different countries will be able to contribute to the recovery of the Island.

Hey Fisheye, you were a Trucker, right?

What are you doing this weekend?

Old 09-29-2017, 08:31 AM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Thank you, Cremebrulee..you are a darling.

Ironically, there is literally tons of supplies on the docks in San Juan, there is a extreme dearth of TRUCK DRIVERS to deliver the goods,
They are even asking for former drivers with no longer valid CDLs to deliver..but they will not be allowed to deliver propane, combustibles etc.

A lot of the people live in the central Sierra region, (Highlands) small winding roads many blocked with downed poles and trees.
Many obstacles...
Hopefully with the temporary suspension of the Jones Act... supplies, ships, and aid personnel from different countries will be able to contribute to the recovery of the Island.

Hey Fisheye, you were a Trucker, right?

What are you doing this weekend?
What is the Jones act?

Old 09-29-2017, 09:03 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,236,615 times
Puerto Rico crisis: What the Jones Act controversy is all about - Sep. 27, 2017

(Not like our relationship, Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Jones..)

Old 09-29-2017, 11:24 AM

well, they need to get tents over there for the people, they are sleeping outside....
they need to set up larger tents at different locations, with all the food, water and donations, coming in, in these tents in an organized manner for people to come in and get stuff. Then put out the word to the people, call them in.

But those people cannot continue to sleep on the ground and they need bug sprays and other items, like soap, deodorants, shampoo, wash clothes, towels...etc...

They could also start putting together those tiny homes....for the people to live in....but a tent city needs to go up temporarily with air mattresses, etc.

To Hell with Red Cross.....

Put me in charge...LOL

Old 09-29-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Puerto Rico crisis: What the Jones Act controversy is all about - Sep. 27, 2017

(Not like our relationship, Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Jones..)
How could I forget Billy Paul?

Our buddy McCain wanted to get rid of the Jones Act in 2015. Stuff happens when you're not paying attention and you learn something new every day. Well, sometimes you just remember something that you used to know.

John McCain, Mike Lee introduce bill to permanently exempt Puerto Rico from Jones Act

This sounds like a good time to hitch up the animals and start rolling the donations out of the port. Air drops?
That could get things to remote areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwglyXOZcaE

Old 09-29-2017, 06:16 PM

Fisheye thank you so much for the explanation but do be careful when you guys go up there I hope you take protection they say coyotes are very smart they hunt in packs and they will attack humans so please beware

Old 09-29-2017, 11:29 PM

'Yotes usually hunt alone, but they will form a group to take down larger prey when they're really hungry.

I wonder how that works.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:33 AM

30,536 posts, read 16,231,137 times
very effectively.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
How could I forget Billy Paul?

Our buddy McCain wanted to get rid of the Jones Act in 2015. Stuff happens when you're not paying attention and you learn something new every day. Well, sometimes you just remember something that you used to know.

John McCain, Mike Lee introduce bill to permanently exempt Puerto Rico from Jones Act

This sounds like a good time to hitch up the animals and start rolling the donations out of the port. Air drops?
That could get things to remote areas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwglyXOZcaE
yes, that indeed would be a wise thing to do.....
I don't know what's wrong with our government...they have been wearing those 1500 suits for way too long?
Common sense has flown out the door
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania