Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2017, 02:20 AM

28,901 posts, read 30,284,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
'Yotes usually hunt alone, but they will form a group to take down larger prey when they're really hungry.

I wonder how that works.
ahhhhh, good to know.....
well then, if the deer are getting scarce at Fisheye's camp, maybe they will have to move on....

they are hardly ever sighted...shy and aloof from humans....if I must say so, don't blame them a bit. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 11:41 AM

2,466 posts, read 2,766,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
no coyotes in PR...
No one made out in the 'storm'. it wasn't a storm..it was a a Cat.5 huracán

The Island is devastated.

My place is central West Coast..right on the beach.

It will be one of the last areas to receive aid..it has no port nor airfield.
There has been absolutely NO communication with that part of the Island since P u t a Maria hit.

My Casa ..It is just a building..bricks, wood..siding. if it is gone for good..the beach will still be there, as beautiful as ever..and hopefully we will rebuild.. no problema.

I am worried about my 92 yr. old FIL, a WWII/Korean War vet , served with the Famed 65th Infantry Rgt..
After a long week, we heard briefly from him on Tues. near one of the remaining cell towers in Ponce, the town, he retired to in 2002.

neighbors were taking him to a local store, they were stocking up on what little provisions are left in the area.
He said he had a tank and a 1/2 of propane left, and everyone would be cooking at his place that afternoon..

One thing one must know about the people of Puerto Rico..
Familia is everything, everyone shares what little they have, Family and neighbors first take care of La Viejas the elderly, and la niñas the kids first.

Much love for these people..
Mr. Magoo, prayers for the safety of your family. We've still not heard from some of my in-laws near La Luisa. The ones closer to Ponce have checked in, everything they owned is totally gone, including the house my late FIL built.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
One word of warning about our Achilles' heel here in NEPA: Forest fires. We have not had good, soaking, rain for sometime. We are not listed in a draught area as of right now. But our leaves are starting to fall and are providing plenty of fuel and the long range forecast is not predicting any relief soon.

If you go back in time 60, 70 or more year; our area frequently suffered from many major forest fires. Yes; we have better equipment today; but that does not mean that it could not happen. It isn't only that; but the areas that burned off years ago now have major housing developments. I am not trying to scare anybody; just keep in mind that what happens out West; could also happen here with the right conditions. Refrain form burning outside or be careful smoking as we continue to dry out. I try to keep all of our leaves picked up as a buffer against brush/leaf fires. That saved me one time from a neighbor that threw his cigarette in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Thank goodness we've been getting rain....the past few days, right?
sure wish we could send some to CA

Old 10-12-2017, 10:22 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Thank goodness we've been getting rain....the past few days, right?
sure wish we could send some to CA
We still need a lot more. When my pond is again full I will holler 'enough'! On the other hand I am sure that TX, LA, AL, FL or Puerto Rico would have been more than willing to share!

I prefer to see wet dead leaves under our trees; it's safer that way.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
We still need a lot more. When my pond is again full I will holler 'enough'! On the other hand I am sure that TX, LA, AL, FL or Puerto Rico would have been more than willing to share!

I prefer to see wet dead leaves under our trees; it's safer that way.

LOL, there you are, I thought you went hunting. Bow and Arrow right now in NJ. Bear.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:48 PM

Quote:
LOL, there you are, I thought you went hunting. Bow and Arrow right now in NJ. Bear.
I never did hunt bear - too hard to carry out the woods! Plus there simply are too few.

I have not hunted anything in the last ten years. I stopped hunting as many of our deer disappeared. I still keep my camp membership to fish.

I also never did like bow and arrow; too cruel for me. Any sport that you have to leave your animal 'bleed out' for half an hour (before you try to retrieve it) isn't my cup of tea. Even though I hunted; I was never into cruelty - I know that many fellow hunters disagree.

Old 10-13-2017, 05:30 AM

Quote:
I never did hunt bear - too hard to carry out the woods! Plus there simply are too few.

I have not hunted anything in the last ten years. I stopped hunting as many of our deer disappeared. I still keep my camp membership to fish.

I also never did like bow and arrow; too cruel for me. Any sport that you have to leave your animal 'bleed out' for half an hour (before you try to retrieve it) isn't my cup of tea. Even though I hunted; I was never into cruelty - I know that many fellow hunters disagree.
yeah, I hear you loud and clear, as I grew older, the idea of hunting within me changed...and I agree with you on "Bow and Arrow" and got into many a bouts with my now ex over this....but feel the same way you do...
I've oft time said, they should extend rifle season and do away with bow and arrow...you can practice all you want, but out in the real elements, everything changes.

To change the subject, apparently NJ is having a real problem with bear and deer...did you know?

I'm wondering if the deer population around the Poconos is like it is due to so many coy dogs?

I think I've seen many more deer down here, than when I lived up in the poconos. It's hard to believe they survive in these little rural patches of ground, so plentiful?

Old 10-13-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
yeah, I hear you loud and clear, as I grew older, the idea of hunting within me changed...and I agree with you on "Bow and Arrow" and got into many a bouts with my now ex over this....but feel the same way you do...
I've oft time said, they should extend rifle season and do away with bow and arrow...you can practice all you want, but out in the real elements, everything changes.

To change the subject, apparently NJ is having a real problem with bear and deer...did you know?

I'm wondering if the deer population around the Poconos is like it is due to so many coy dogs?

I think I've seen many more deer down here, than when I lived up in the poconos. It's hard to believe they survive in these little rural patches of ground, so plentiful?
When I drove truck the one pastime I had was looking for wildlife. About ten years ago it got so bad that I could travel to Ohio and back and not see one deer became 'normal'. That was when I gave up hunting. I never wanted to kill the last one standing; I do enjoy watching them and seeing them from time to time. While I know that some areas of our State sill have healthy populations. at the time I was driving it got so bad; that I did see more deer in NJ and Ohio. Keep in mind that PA use to have the largest deer population in the nation.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:22 AM

[quote=fisheye;49808567]When I drove truck the one pastime I had was looking for wildlife. About ten years ago it got so bad that I could travel to Ohio and back and not see one deer became 'normal'. That was when I gave up hunting. I never wanted to kill the last one standing; I do enjoy watching them and seeing them from time to time. While I know that some areas of our State sill have healthy populations. at the time I was driving it got so bad; that I did see more deer in NJ and Ohio. Keep in mind that PA use to have the largest deer population in the nation.[/QUOTE]

yes I know? Kinda worrying? Have you and your wife ever taken a drive up to Elk County to see those herds. Never got around to it, but always wanted to.

I love the mating calls they make....hauntingly beautiful
Wow

Old 10-13-2017, 11:35 AM

[quote=cremebrulee;49808636]
Quote:
When I drove truck the one pastime I had was looking for wildlife. About ten years ago it got so bad that I could travel to Ohio and back and not see one deer became 'normal'. That was when I gave up hunting. I never wanted to kill the last one standing; I do enjoy watching them and seeing them from time to time. While I know that some areas of our State sill have healthy populations. at the time I was driving it got so bad; that I did see more deer in NJ and Ohio. Keep in mind that PA use to have the largest deer population in the nation.[/QUOTE]

yes I know? Kinda worrying? Have you and your wife ever taken a drive up to Elk County to see those herds. Never got around to it, but always wanted to.

I love the mating calls they make....hauntingly beautiful
Wow
Never got to Elk County; but we did make it to Flagstaff and Yellowstone! When we drove through Flagstaff they were having a heat wave (which they do pretty often). The largest bull elk we ever saw came down out the mountains to enjoy the swimming pools and the police were busy trying to head it out of town. We got some great pictures of it before it decided to leave (if it ever did).

Yellowstone had plenty of elk all over the place - but Flagstaff had the biggest! I do not know if we would want to go to Yellowstone again since the super volcano is showing some signs of life. Perhaps Elk County would be 'safer'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania