Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 04:10 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Say, while I was bragging about being lucky; I am also looking at some of Harvey's moisture coming in our direction. I also see that we have a major hurricane (Irma) developing in the Atlantic. Perhaps I opened my big mouth too soon?

Hopefully everything gets pushed far out to sea! If not I hope our mod quietly makes this thread disappear! It's not nice to 'challenge' Mother Nature'!
Since I'm female, I'll do it for you. There's nothing better (popcorn) than two woman having a...disagreement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 04:41 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Since I'm female, I'll do it for you. There's nothing better (popcorn) than two woman having a...disagreement.
I hate to say it; but there is a 20% chance of another hurricane developing next week in the Gulf of Mexico. Irma could also hit the same areas that have already been hit so hard - but nobody really knows where Irma is going.

They are saying that Harvey was a 1000 year flood. They are also saying that it destroyed 100,000 homes. The effects of Harvey will be with us for a very long time. Reluctantly I will not count any more chicken until they hatch or, at the very least, not until this hurricane season is over!

Old 08-31-2017, 07:38 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,229,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Say, while I was bragging about being lucky; I am also looking at some of Harvey's moisture coming in our direction. I also see that we have a major hurricane (Irma) developing in the Atlantic. Perhaps I opened my big mouth too soon?

Hopefully everything gets pushed far out to sea! If not I hope our mod quietly makes this thread disappear! It's not nice to 'challenge' Mother Nature'!
Certainly need to be vigilant this time of the year. We do occasionally get brushed by these storms.

Sandy caused a ton of tree damage in Northern NJ. I presume there were similar issues in NEPA as well, but at least we're not near the ocean.

Old 08-31-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Certainly need to be vigilant this time of the year. We do occasionally get brushed by these storms.

Sandy caused a ton of tree damage in Northern NJ. I presume there were similar issues in NEPA as well, but at least we're not near the ocean.
We did have areas that had considerable tree damage from Sandy. But it was not widespread. Certain areas funneled the winds and took out trees damaged from previous years of gypsy moth damage or old standing pine groves. Of course we never have to worry about storm surge from the ocean. We did not have the problems like Staten Island. Our mountains do offer some retreat from the hurricane winds. Of course our flooding problems are always in our valleys.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:44 PM

811 posts, read 1,387,128 times
Actually, since I've been living here (all my life) between Wilkes-Barre and Scranton, I've experienced plenty of nature's bounty. In June 1996, a confirmed F-0 (before the EF scale) tornado hit my street directly. In August 2011, I felt the effects of the earthquake that hit Virginia. Then September 2011 brought Tropical Storm Lee, and our home was terribly flooded by the Lackawanna River. In February of this year, I was on I-81 South in Moosic sitting in golf ball sized hail while an EF-2 tornado hit Rt. 502 and Suscon.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa3 View Post
Actually, since I've been living here (all my life) between Wilkes-Barre and Scranton, I've experienced plenty of nature's bounty. In June 1996, a confirmed F-0 (before the EF scale) tornado hit my street directly. In August 2011, I felt the effects of the earthquake that hit Virginia. Then September 2011 brought Tropical Storm Lee, and our home was terribly flooded by the Lackawanna River. In February of this year, I was on I-81 South in Moosic sitting in golf ball sized hail while an EF-2 tornado hit Rt. 502 and Suscon.
I guess I am glad I live where I live!

Sorry to hear of all your problems; you have had your fair share of Mother Nature!

Old 09-02-2017, 07:05 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,237,070 times
Wow, chilly here in the flatlands this morning..but 35 F @Mt. Pocono.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:42 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Brrrrr!

Old 09-02-2017, 07:11 PM

We had 41 when we woke up this morning. I saw the Weather Underground reported 39 in Mt. Pocono - but that might be good for us? If the cold front is especially strong it could turn Irma out to sea or, at least, over NJ! Sorry NJ; it's every Pennsylvanian for ourselves! Just kidding; hopefully it pushes that hurricane far out to sea! We all have to keep a close eye on a very dangerous storm.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:53 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,237,070 times
I have a place on the west coast of Puerto Rico Rincón..( Rincón means left corner) an that is where it is if you look at a map of PR

Irma's projected path right now is to skirt NW above mainland PR and give San Juan a bit of a drenching and some winds.

Tomorrow and Tuesday are supposed to be gorgeous at the Jersey Shore, the Mullet bait fish run will be starting soon, and the fishing will improve greatly.
I'm going down on Tuesday..the Labor Day crowds will be gone, back to work, school and the Island will be quiet and near empty.
Still hundreds of Snapper Blues in the surf, so there is always dinner when we get home..stop at a farm stand, pick up some heirloom tomatoes,, sweet corn, a melon...
Fry the little Snapper Bluefish 6-8 inches whole, after gutting...very tasty when they are that size..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania