Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 08:47 PM

50 posts, read 103,169 times

Advertisements

Although the urban dweller may be permitted to voice his opinions at public hearings and, less directly, in the electoral process, experience eventually teaches him that decisions which intimately affect his life are made behind his back, with little regard to his interests. Gradually, he succumbs to the reality principle of municipal life. Inured to deceit, corruption, fragmentation, and powerlessness, he sinks into cynical indifference.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:41 AM

8 posts, read 26,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I don't know what to do at your post other than shake my head. First of all, do you honestly think that the students you see outside of West HS smoking are the same students who proposed the smoking ban? There are all different types in a high school, you know. Why don't you criticize the scumbags who were outside the school smoking, and the ones who are out partying in the woods, doing drugs, and spraying grafiti, rather than the group who did something positive with their time?

So we should "puke" at this ban because you don't like Amil Minora and he happens to have a relative who teaches at West? Are you kidding? Put down the crackpipe already. Your posts are nauseating and reek of a Joe Pilchesky sheep. Thanks to Joe and his followers as well as business owners like Rinaldi and Chickillo who put their bottom line ahead of people's health for destroying something positive in Scranton.

It doesn't matter. A statewide ban is coming, and I can't wait. The next thing that needs to be done is to ban smoking in houses and cars where children are present. Nothing burns me up than seeing some scumbag excuse for a parent puffing away at a cancer stick with a poor little kid who has no say in the matter sitting in the backseat forced to inhale cancerous fumes.
Are you serious? No smoking in houses will never be implemented. I thinki that is somewhere in the 1st amendment. Read it. This city is being destroyed by our city and councilmen and women :: coughs :: scuse me..cronys. Let's say in about ehh..1 year We will show the people like you what happens when you support people like DOHerty and fatnucci and Fatelli.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:10 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,754 times
Doherty rode the follies of Conners into office..he portrayed himself as the golden child and very briefly had everyone fooled that he had higher political potential, but it wasnt long before more and more people started to realize that the self proclaimed king had no clothes.. he did the same thing that others have done, put political patronage before qualifications, but he has taken it to new heights, thus he has effectively destroyed the economic health of scranton, who ever the next mayor is will have their hands full...

Old 06-30-2008, 05:58 AM

32 posts, read 34,296 times
The worst part is that the next mayor, who will have to clean up Doherty's mess, will get crucified by the Times-Tribune for all of the problems caused by Doherty. Remember how they slammed Connors on a daily basis? Mulitply it by 100%, and that's what they'll do to the next mayor, even though the problems will be all Doherty's fault.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:03 AM

32 posts, read 34,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mailman View Post
Are you serious? No smoking in houses will never be implemented. I thinki that is somewhere in the 1st amendment. Read it.
I'm no law professor, but I don't think smoking in enclosed areas around children is mentioned in the 1st amendment or anywhere in the Constitution.

I really get tired of people wiping their butt with the Constitution by constantly twisting to say that it protects whatever habit/activity they may have.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:07 PM

703 posts, read 1,546,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hu Flung Pu View Post
I'm no law professor, but I don't think smoking in enclosed areas around children is mentioned in the 1st amendment or anywhere in the Constitution.

I really get tired of people wiping their butt with the Constitution by constantly twisting to say that it protects whatever habit/activity they may have.
Right.

Smoking isn't "speech," and even if it were, "time, manner and place" restrictions are clearly legal regulations of speech.

Regardless, this is an interesting context for anti-smoking laws. Smoking and arch anti-government types typically bring up the "choice" argument about how non-smokers shouldn't complain about "choosing" to expose themselves to second-hand smoke.

Well, children in homes of smokers don't have any "choice."

Old 07-07-2008, 09:17 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
So what do you all think of the new movie starring Mayor Doherty? LOL!

Old 07-07-2008, 09:38 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,968,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
So what do you all think of the new movie starring Mayor Doherty? LOL!

"Flushed Away"
"Dumb and Dumber"
?

Old 07-11-2008, 07:53 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Hmmm...Kevin Murphy of Scranton just sent me a friend request on MySpace, and I added him. I wonder if that was a prudent decision?

Old 07-16-2008, 12:43 PM

1,251 posts, read 3,312,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa, July 2007 View Post
I am just going to come out and say it, I'll give you tonights council meeting and you can have Ray Lyman. We all tried so hard tonight to put some distance between us and Ray but what can you do, Ray is Ray and there is nothing we or anyone really can do about it, so we can have a good group laugh at tonights meeting on me.
I haven't really paid that much attention to him, but does he melt down every summer? He might consider vacations in Maine or something, where it's a bit cooler and more serene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania