Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for Chris Doherty for mayor if the election were held today?
Yes 17 33.33%
No 34 66.67%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 06:56 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,103,913 times

Advertisements

I am just going to come out and say it, I'll give you tonights council meeting and you can have Ray Lyman. We all tried so hard tonight to put some distance between us and Ray but what can you do, Ray is Ray and there is nothing we or anyone really can do about it, so we can have a good group laugh at tonights meeting on me.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:26 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,346,269 times
That was classic Ray, good thing he did walk away after his time, I didn't really want to see him forcibly removed by the cop. I realize he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and he's right we do have the 1st amendment, but there's also rules and laws that need to be followed. If he wants to continue to get his message out there, why doesn't he just get a bullhorn and walk around city hall and the downtown saying what he wants, of course they might arrest him for disturbing the peace or something.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:36 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,663,226 times
Ray is something to behold Dan. I met him for the first time today and he had my hear everytime I was next to him. His You Tube library sure is getting bigger. Do you think in some strange way he does this on purpose so he can get attention? That he really doesn't care about "Da Attorney General" and his civil rights being violated. Maybe he's auditioning for "The Ray Lyman Show" because is he funny. He just shouldn't bring his act to this venue anymore, because his run is over.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:03 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,991,094 times
Ray and a few others have made the meetings completly useless for normal citizens. His latest rants reverberated the sentiments of Fay Franus' typical speeches. I understand Ray may have a mental disorder so god love him. Some of the others have no excuse in that regard. They are just idiots. Sam Patilla just moves to Scranton and all of a sudden he feels it is his job to cast out ever current politician in office.

Give me a break. They lead boring lives and this adds some flair. It is like joiing a civic group when you get up at the podium and tell them how much youi hate them. You automatically have a few frineds now.

This upcoming recess is soo necessary.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:45 AM

I usually am willing to cut you some slack because you seem like a nice guy and you live in Florida, but I'm sorry you are way off base here. Yes, Fay gets personal over Judy but they have known each other along time and some of her venom is old venom and Ray is touched and just cannot get over the fact that Judy had him removed from the podium once by the police but to say that Sam is wrong for speaking out against what he perceives as a corrupt and unjust form of gov't here in Scranton is so off base. Its his right and he is clear with his facts and other than his approach at the podium he is right on the money with the facts about this city. You seem to get your info second hand from your family and I am not sure where they stand politically so I take your veiws with a grain of salt, not to mention you said that they live in Clarks Summit so no matter what happens in this city it really does not affect you other than the property taxes on their building here in Scranton. Yes some speakers are on personal crusades but you know what its their right to regress their gov't and its their right to express their opinions. What you and the current admin do not like to hear is the truth, the truth about our poor fiscal management and our unqualified new hires that are in direct violation of the recovery act that the mayor pushed thru on a referendum as a way to revive the city but has never put it into effect and has continously violated it. The Dept of Public Safety that was elimanated by PEL and the 4 new hires in that dept are a clear violation of the recovery act,as well as the $10,000,000 in consultants and salaries for the new hires that are as well clear violations of the recovery plan. They do not want to hear the facts that they are unable to run this city with the same good ole boys network that they have been using since Casey was elected Gov the first time. Before you say anything about my opinion, I do not have one I use the law and the facts against them and save my opinion for the net or my house. I have been involved in Scranton politics since I worked on the Casey run for Gov., the first time. I see what and how the machine works and has worked for along time and its time for a change, we are $300,000,000 in debt in less than 6 years and when the mayor obtained his office he did so with a $7,000,000 surplus budget, so what the hell happened. There is no excuse for the mayors over spending spree and the fact that we have to pay the bill long after he is gone.

Look what he did at Nay Aug he spent $6,000,000 on a park and now he admits that we cannot afford to maintain the park because we are broke so he has to look to the state and the county for assistance, its our park and its not their responsiblity and if we would have maybe not bult the bridge, we really did not need to access that side of the gorge, we would have at least $1,700,000 in the parks and rec budget for maintinance. I like the tree house simply because its handicap accessible and thats great for those residents that seem to miss out on alot around here, but the bridge is not and it was not needed. Too much to fast and thats the story with this current admin. Do not hold it against the residents for speaking out against a gov't that they feel is unjust, thats what my great grandfather, grandfather, father and uncles all went to war to defend for you and me and the rest of the citizens of this country. If you do not like what they have to say thats your right but you also have the right to not watch or listen. Whether you like it or not what is going on in this city is wrong, its wrong on some many facets that its not even funny.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:42 AM

I take objection that you called Sam and Fay idiots. I met Fay yesterday for the first time and she seems like a nice reasonable woman who is tired of this city's crap. Sam sometimes comes off as loud and overbearing, but beneath that he makes some real good points. Like we said before, Ray is just Ray and there's nothing we can do about that. I suggest that you come up here and attend a meeting in person to see how these people really are. Hell, I was watching these meetings for months on 61 and I thought a lot of these people were crazy and nuts for attending council each week with the same agenda. Then I started talking to Daniel and going to council and I saw a lot of these speakers had legimate problems and were the only ones who would stand up to this administration. When you watch the meetings, you have to filter out the bad stuff and see the core of what these people are talking about.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:29 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,991,094 times
I know I may sound harsh but it is just aggrivating to watch someone get up and tell the council members that they can say whatever they want. Whether it is mean spirited or off base our out of order. Fay does say that all the time. She just seems like a bitter person who is more interested in looking like a some tough crusader of justice. I respect both of your opinions and I am not a disrespectful person. I think typing makes you a littel more crass than actually speaking to someone in person. I look forward to possible sitting down with some of you when I am in town. I would love to actully have a normal conversation about these topics rather than typing and spelling every third word wrong!!

Old 07-20-2007, 02:05 PM

I agree with the meeting and the spelling, my typing sucks and it can a chore for me sometimes.

Old 07-20-2007, 03:39 PM

I think that Daniel and myself would be willing to sit down with you and talk about the problems plaquing this city. Like Daniel told me the other day, people always get on him, calling him a doomsdayer and that he complains about the city all the time. He said why would he point out the good things about Scranton. Everyone knows about Nay Aug and the downtown. He points out the negative things because they must be put out there and be addressed so everyone, including people who live outside the city knows what's going on. I agree with you guys about typing and spelling, it can get pretty frustrating at times to convey your thoughts without speaking them.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:50 AM

37 posts, read 94,815 times
Question Janet Evans set to announce 2009 mayoral run!

So..it's confirmed! The golden woman from Scranton City Council will be announcing her candidacy for the 2009 mayoral bid. This comes as no surprise to be perfectly honest with you. This woman will make a complete ass out the mayor in the debates. And if judy gatelli thinks her corrupt ways are going to save the mayor, better think again. The only way the mayor has a chance at winning, is if he buys all the votes plus her votes. The mayor has made some very good moves, but for the wrong price tag. If I were the mayor i would push the contruction on lackawanna avenue. push for the new zoo within the next six months and possibly change partys. all of this he can use as firepower and quite possibly destroy Janets chances. I dont know wether to love the mayor or hate him..because he Does make some pretty good moves. just for the wrong price tag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania