Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 06:26 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Why not you? Just because you see other people doing it or doing it "all the time" doesn't mean they don't ticket for it.

It wasn't an emergency. You weren't having a heart attack. If you were having a heart attack I'm willing to bet the officer wouldn't have even issued a warning. I'd put money on it.
You're correct. The " new OP" was saying that the police officer stopped while flashing their lights and some cars fled. This has been documented in news articles on people that park on HOV shoulders then flee when police stop to issue tickets.

As HOV Clock Ticks Down, Drivers Prepare to Pounce

The mentality is flee and you won't be pursued. Those that stay get a ticket. Police may or may not care. THAT message is dangerous to set. FLEE=ok. No pursuit. Don't flee= ticket.

What could/ should happen is that police stop all cars, quickly taken license plate photos ( with rolling video, very easy) and send small tickets to everyone. The HOT lanes take photos and send you the fine. Police should do the same, especially as fleeing becomes more popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 04:20 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Right. You didn't have an emergency. That's why you got the ticket.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:48 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
own up to your actions you're not a victim here.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:27 AM

4 posts, read 2,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
own up to your actions you're not a victim here.
LOL I love this perspective. My guess is over 60, wants you also to get off his lawn and lives in a city that benefits from the cash grab that is I-66.

What this uninformed moron is clearly unaware of is what a shady move this entire system is.

1. The "Flex pass" should default to paying the toll if you don't qualify for HOV rather than being a physical switch. It isn't like the driver doesn't have the EZ pass it's more like instead of driving distracted and flipping the switch the driver should be able to simply pay the toll as assessed.

2. The toll arms cause congestion rather than help to ease it. The technology exists to assess the toll without the antiquated arm coming down. Proof of this is on the newly opened I-66 toll model. Without the arm and with the auto billing feature there would be no need for cashiers or credit card lanes thus keeping the traffic moving smoothly and relieving the congestion.

3. In a lot of states they've figured out how to record the license plate/registration associated with the vehicle and if you have a tag you pay a certain amount but if you don't have the tag/pass you simply get mailed a bill which may be a little higher per toll. In Virginia this is nothing more than an unabated cash grab and not an attempt to ease traffic congestion. If you think these roads were setup for civil engineering purposes you're probably not too bright.

Overall Northern Virginia is setup to increase the cost of living to match the Federal Contract presence. Cities like Fairfax and Arlington rely upon these cash grabs to sustain their city budget so buckle up and accept the fact that most of Northern Virginia sucks in just about every aspect.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:43 AM

I see a lot of angry old men on this thread and am enjoying the additional judging that comes with knowing it all. I can remember a time when a person could pull over on the side of any road for just about any reason. But in the world we live in today we seem to legislate our own freedoms away.

If you pull over at 8:56am why would that be an issue? Ohhh because you're preventing the revenue generation. If you pull over on route 7 in say Round Hill...no problem, no ticket. Why? Because it's not revenue generating.

The problem with Northern Virginia is it costs so much to live in that area it causes local government to become creative when attempting to generate revenue. If you grew up in the country and someone told you that you're not allowed to pull over on the side of the road you'd most likely think they were joking. I'm sure it's the same in all the fantastic American cities such as NYC or Philly as it is in Northern Virginia. Get that money.

It also occurs to me there are most likely a lot of VSP on this forum since it also directly impacts 1. their perception from the public and 2. their paycheck from generating all that $$$. Kind of like a bonus for the performance of duties. Actually saw a VSP issuing a HOV citation about 1/4 mile from a 3 car accident the other day. If only you got more money from those pesky accident victims. LOL

Old 04-10-2018, 08:34 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooshound View Post

2. The toll arms cause congestion rather than help to ease it. The technology exists to assess the toll without the antiquated arm coming down. Proof of this is on the newly opened I-66 toll model. Without the arm and with the auto billing feature there would be no need for cashiers or credit card lanes thus keeping the traffic moving smoothly and relieving the congestion.
I-66 doesn't have toll arms. Are you talking about the Greenway?

Old 04-10-2018, 02:31 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Wow your first posts on this entire site are to come on the Northern VA forum, insult what you think are "old men", and then give out misinformation? I think we have a "victim" here who has been triggered.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:57 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
sounds cash-strapped to me.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I-66 doesn't have toll arms. Are you talking about the Greenway?
I'm talking about how the greenway has toll arms when the technology exists to not have toll arms such as I-66. Toll roads are a part of modern life but so is technology. I don't mind paying but it seems to me there are other parts of the country that have figured out a much more efficient way of executing tolls.

Even on I-66 you have State Troopers whose sole job is to generate even more revenue making them elevated meter maids I guess. I passed a rear end accident on I-66 the other day around Sycamore with no law enforcement on scene and not more than a mile later at the next gantry there sits Trooper dipwad looking for HOV violators. I can only laugh at the idocrisy of it but in no way am I surprised by it. Arlington is one of the worst cities in the Virginia area from my experience. Luckily I only have to pass through.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Wow your first posts on this entire site are to come on the Northern VA forum, insult what you think are "old men", and then give out misinformation? I think we have a "victim" here who has been triggered.
I stumbled onto this site after a co-worker told me about an HOV violation. I had and still have no idea if or when he should fight it but it got me thinking so I did a search. General terms like "give out misinformation" without actually disputing any of the information makes me think you may have a vested interest.

It's funny how you criticize me for coming to a conclusion based on posts while coming to a conclusion about me for making a post. So, Christine....where in Arlington do you live? LOL DO NOT ANSWER THAT.

No victims here, I have a company EZ Pass so I fly in style. I did however live in North Texas, which also has toll roads aplenty but they snap a pic of your license plate and send you a bill once a month. No one slows for tolls there but all the people slowing here are also the same people complaining about traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia