Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 11:59 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,496,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffx rez View Post
let it go, dude.
lol :d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 01:17 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,334,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
It isn't being difficult. I'm a law-abiding citizen. It's none of the police officer's business where I'm going. Or where I've been.

--
I have never had a police officer ask me where I was going or ask to search my car. I have only been pulled over twice in about 30 years of driving, but I agree with you. If a person wants to voluntarily offer that information to the officer when asked, that's fine. I'd probably answer the "Where are you going" type of questions. If a person does not want to do so, that's his/her right and it should be no issue. You are still being cooperative. Be polite, let the officer see your license and registration, take the ticket if there is one and go about your day once you are told you are free to go.

If officers came by your house and asked to search inside, would you say, "Oh sure. I'm a law abiding citizen. I have nothing to hide."? Is it any different in principle?

Last edited by tgbwc; 03-24-2016 at 01:26 PM..

Old 03-24-2016, 03:46 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,257,572 times
Quote:
To which you reply, "Officer, I respectfully decline to answer those questions."

To which you reply, "Officer, respectfully, I do NOT consent to a search of my vehicle."

Interestingly, I was stopped for speeding a couple of months ago on the Beltway. The VA state trooper spoke maybe 10 words to me in total. He asked NO questions. It was pretty clear he was only interested in issuing the ticket.

--
Or maybe, based on your behaviors, he felt no need to press for anything as he didn't feel you were any more than someone speeding. There's not a conspiracy theory in everything in your world.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:02 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Or maybe, based on your behaviors, he felt no need to press for anything as he didn't feel you were any more than someone speeding. There's not a conspiracy theory in everything in your world.
I concur. The trooper was a complete professional at all times. I was speeding, and I got stopped. It's not about conspiracies. I have buddies who are cops. My brother in law was on the job in Texas. I have the utmost respect for the job police do. I just think they overstep boundaries sometimes. Like asking me where I'm going when I was stopped for speeding a couple of years ago. Not going to answer that. Not his business.

Bigfoot, I understand you were a career cop. Thank you for your service.

--

Old 03-25-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffx rez View Post
Let it go, dude.
Dude. Let what go, exactly?

--

Old 03-25-2016, 07:42 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,534,208 times
Quote:
I concur. The trooper was a complete professional at all times. I was speeding, and I got stopped. It's not about conspiracies. I have buddies who are cops. My brother in law was on the job in Texas. I have the utmost respect for the job police do. I just think they overstep boundaries sometimes. Like asking me where I'm going when I was stopped for speeding a couple of years ago. Not going to answer that. Not his business.

--

You're right you don't have to cooperate with the police, but if you want any chance of getting off without a ticket then you should probably cooperate.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:

--
LOL. They have the right to ask. So worried about your "Rights" yet unwilling to acknowledge others have Rights as well.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
LOL. They have the right to ask. So worried about your "Rights" yet unwilling to acknowledge others have Rights as well.
"LOL" I never said they didn't have the right to ask. The questions may be unwarranted and intrusive, but they have the right to ask. I said I had the right not to answer. I'm sorry you're having such difficulty with that concept.

--

Old 03-25-2016, 08:44 AM

Quote:
"LOL" I never said they didn't have the right to ask. The questions may be unwarranted and intrusive, but they have the right to ask. I said I had the right not to answer. I'm sorry you're having such difficulty with that concept.

--
You said they overstepped their boundary for asking a question. It is his RIGHT to ask the question.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
You said they overstepped their boundary for asking a question. It is his RIGHT to ask the question.
Mmmm, maybe "overstepped boundaries" wasn't the right way to put it. As I said, I agree the cop has the right to ask. The thrust of my argument is that I don't have to answer. People don't get that. They see a uniform and automatically assume they have to answer all of the cop's questions.

I used to see it on "Cops" all the time: cops pull somebody over and start asking all kinds of questions. And the people who were stopped immediately get themselves in trouble by talking. The rule in my house is, "Officer, I am respectfully exercising my right to remain silent."

--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia