Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 08:18 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,643,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Don't you agree that that is a lot to decipher and process while driving?
Well, the HOV time sign is shown several times along that stretch in white with the diamond shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 08:37 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,334,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Well, the HOV time sign is shown several times along that stretch in white with the diamond shape.
Ok. I guess it's true that there wouldn't be just the one sign shown in this thread. Even though I've been around here for a while, I'm not very familiar with 66 or how the HOV works on it. It didn't even occur to me that ALL non-HOV traffic had to exit before getting inside the Beltway.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:57 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,754,454 times
Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but I have to admit that I've thought signs like that can be a lot to decipher for someone not familiar with the area. It's a lot to read. Talk about being distracted while driving. When my wife's relatives visit, they get all confused.
I agree, I didn't even know about the different HOV times for the outside left lane HOV vs. the ALL lanes inside the beltway on I-66, until michgc. I can definitely see how someone from out of town, could be confused, especially if there are no HOV lanes in their area. Then throw the whole, Dulles airport exception in and it can make things very confusing. I think VDOT maybe should do a better job of signage and they should give people a chance to exit at the first exit inside the beltway, in case they do make an honest mistake. With all the construction and traffic on 495, sometimes it is hard to get off.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:25 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,334,019 times
I just asked my wife if she knew. She said she did because there was one (and only)time, probably 16 years ago or so, she was headed to a music class. She just figured she would take 66 to the class. She was on 495 and realized just before getting on 66 that she wasn't allowed to, so she went to the next exit off of 495 and had to figure it out from there.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:49 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,643,104 times
Only 2 or more occupants Weekdays

6:30am-9am, Eastbound
4pm-6:30pm Westbound

Old 08-25-2011, 09:55 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,807,461 times
Quote:
Don't you agree that that is a lot to decipher and process while driving?
I completely agree that it is confusing, especially for visitors who are not from "the big city." HOV is probably an unknown concept to them, let alone the different times for them.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:40 AM

648 posts, read 1,334,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I completely agree that it is confusing, especially for visitors who are not from "the big city." HOV is probably an unknown concept to them, let alone the different times for them.
I can attest to this coming from California. In CA, it's called a "Carpool Lane" and not HOV.
Additionally, in CA the carpool lanes are carpool lanes at all times, and do not change with the time of day.

So when I first started driving these freeways here (and they still confuse me, especially with the construction), I felt like I had to read books posted on signs to figure out where I was going while still keeping my eyes on the road. Kind of stressful!

Old 08-26-2011, 09:48 AM

154 posts, read 454,853 times
When I moved here from CA 2 years ago, I unknowingly drove in the HOV restricted area of I-66 East (Centreville to Rosslyn) for like a week. I didn't notice the signs at all - I think I was just too focused on getting to my new job and going the right way. Then while discussing my commute with one of my coworkers I told her how happy I was that I could get into the office so quickly. She then laughed and told me that I had been illegally driving in the HOV lane. Boy was I mortified (and happy that I hadn't gotten a ticket). After that correction it took me twice as long to get to the office and I wasn't so happy about the commute any longer.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:30 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,495,230 times
I always see these people with the out of town license plates on the HOV, mostly Jersey

Old 08-26-2011, 11:06 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,976,096 times
I think the confusing part for new residents and out of towners is that the entire road is HOV. I was used to HOV when I moved to DC, but HOV was always a faster lane and an option, not a mandatory thing where you could not drive on the highway during a certain time. I still do not know of another road where you can not drive on the road during a certain time unless you are in an HOV vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia