Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,212 times

Advertisements

What if you aren't planning to go to court and plan to pay the fine literally the day after you receive the ticket? What do they need that extra $62 for then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 05:40 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,256,160 times
Admin fees. Court costs cannot be waived. Fines can be reduced or waived but not the court costs. Whether you are there or mail in the fine they still have to do the same processing.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:08 AM

231 posts, read 456,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
So the police should stop all trafic enforcement and allow drivers to do what they wish? Let me know how that goes. And I find it hard to believe this is why you moved out of Fairfax.

Well we know revenue generation is certainly the M.O. in Arlington....

Old 07-11-2012, 06:48 AM

9,882 posts, read 14,150,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaSausages View Post
Well we know revenue generation is certainly the M.O. in Arlington....
I know I've said this before, but it bears repeating. Yes, I do believe generating revenue is one of the goals of HOV ticket violations, speed cameras, red light cameras, etc. But, every cent raised through this method is one less cent they are asking me for in taxes. So for that reason, KEEP TICKETING!! PLEASE TICKET MORE!!!!

Old 07-11-2012, 07:39 AM

92 posts, read 201,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I know I've said this before, but it bears repeating. Yes, I do believe generating revenue is one of the goals of HOV ticket violations, speed cameras, red light cameras, etc. But, every cent raised through this method is one less cent they are asking me for in taxes. So for that reason, KEEP TICKETING!! PLEASE TICKET MORE!!!!
Taxes aren't gonna go down no matter how many tickets they hand out.

As a practical matter, money people pay in tickets comes out of disposable income, i.e., what doesn't go towards mortgage, taxes, and other necessities. Every ticket is one less meal eaten at a restaurant or one less item purchased from a local merchant.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:30 AM

588 posts, read 1,440,155 times
The only way I have seen to NOT pay the fine for an "HOV violation" is if you were not actually in violation and got ticketed anyway.

I *almost* got a ticket years ago because I had my infant niece with me in an HOV-2 lane and the police officer told me she didn't count. I very kindly and respectfully asked for another officer to be called and because there were two officers working together, that wasn't a problem. The other officer corrected the first officer, so I was not ticketed. However, had I been ticketed, I would have fought it. I believe I would have "won" in that case, but I do not believe any case other than an actual mistake in citation would deem not having to pay the fine.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:55 AM

513 posts, read 962,550 times
Fight back. F the man.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:04 AM

9,882 posts, read 14,150,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehuster View Post
Taxes aren't gonna go down no matter how many tickets they hand out.
I absolutely 100% agree with you. But, taxes will surely rise if they drastically cut the number of tickets they are handing out.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:24 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,964,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Admin fees. Court costs cannot be waived. Fines can be reduced or waived but not the court costs. Whether you are there or mail in the fine they still have to do the same processing.
I keep meaning to thank you every time I read your posts. I always learn something when I read them. Thank you for taking the time to educate us.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,083 times
I have lived in Maryland for most of my life and even as a child I was told that you shouldn't go to Virginia because of the laws, the fact they are a commonwealth, and other issues. I have friends and family members who travel to Townson, New York, Pennsylvania, etc to shop because they do not under any circumstance go to Virginia because of the laws. I am sure Virginia is not hurt by that because most of them are African Americans and that is not Northern Virginias target market however today I broke that rule and went to Northern Virginia. Not to work or anything like that I went to support a friend at a new Yoga Studio and mapped out the trip before I got there. Every single GPS told me to take 66E from 495 and get off on the first exit. Following the directions I didn't see the signs and was pulled over.

I understand that I should have stayed on the other side of the bridge however after I was pulled over I was interrogated. The officer asked me why I was in Virginia, where I was coming from and where I was going? None of which mater since I was going to get the ticket anyway. He then gave me the ticket and said you don't have to come back to Virginia to pay it.

I will pay the ticket and let it go however I will continue to keep my money out of Virginia and encourage others to do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia