Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 08:59 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post

Your posts are typical of the attitudes of those who enable a gun culture .
My posts have sided with the law and the Constitution. Nothing more. In case you forgot, as I stated before, I have never fired a gun, owned a gun, and am actually scared of guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 10:47 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,079,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
The business flew largely under the radar in its prior location and is far more visible and advertising more heavily (both directly, in terms of more prominent signage, and indirectly, in terms of "free publicity" generated by locating so close to a public school) in its current location..
Goes back to my earlier post on what location is too close and who is supposed to decide. So three blocks away is still not okay because there wasn't protests? Now you're blaming free publicity as raising additional awareness on the gun store location so that's the gun store's fault? Because its "far more visible"? Some people can spot a McDonald's from the interstate... So "too visible" for a legal business is not okay? Fair business practices are expected in America. It's difficult enough with the high federal, state, county, and municipal tax rates on business.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:54 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,079,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
There were those allowed. Oregon has a licensed carry law that over powers the school's policies. But, that only means more of the unknown/untrained walking around with a gun. Need more cops, which means more money needs to be budgeted for their services to society. The answer isn't to give Leroy a gun in hopes he is able to kill John on behalf of everyone else. That's wild west stuff.
Because this thread is in the gun store next to the school, you're suggesting more police near the gun store would make the elementary kids, or people in general, more safe. More police, more cost, no CCW's. Got it.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:04 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,236,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
There were those allowed. Oregon has a licensed carry law that over powers the school's policies. But, that only means more of the unknown/untrained walking around with a gun. Need more cops, which means more money needs to be budgeted for their services to society. The answer isn't to give Leroy a gun in hopes he is able to kill John on behalf of everyone else. That's wild west stuff.

How do you know how well trained these students/teachers would be? You have no clue. Visit some ranges in our area and observe how many young people too include families are there practicing. The guns in this local store are not just going to walk out of the store and into the hands of the kids at this neighboring school. Yes, bad things happen with guns. But many good things happen as well. Many homeowners and business owners have saved their life or that of others thanks to their weapons. Many have stopped crimes in progress and prevented someone from becoming a victim. I wish I had the answer on stopping the mentally ill from obtaining these weapons but I don't.

Taken from another forum I'm on.

But, the biggest thing that confuses me is..how did this happen? Didn't this perpetrator know that [COLOR=green !important][COLOR=green !important]Umpqua[/color][/color] Community College is a weapon free zone? So much so, that even the sole security officer was unarmed. Or...maybe he did know this.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:07 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
How do you know how well trained these students/teachers would be? You have no clue.
That's EXACTLY my point!!! We as a society don't know when it comes to what is perceived as the average Joe. But society can take an increased comfort level of these requirements when those carrying a gun, are also carrying a badge that indicates someone other than someone incentivized to make a sale has properly trained and evaluated the temperament of said individual before handing them a device of pure death and destruction. Which brings us right back to a scholars definition of the 2nd Amendement - for a society to bear arms in the manner of a collective force to defend against aggressors, also known as a military and civilian protective force. Not AR15's for every hillbilly with a grudge and clean credit report.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:37 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
It seems to me that the increased media publicity isn't being generated by the store itself, but rather the protestors of the store.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:06 AM

601 posts, read 592,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Just too easy for what? This conversation? I don't think so. It would if it was a shooting of elementary school children right outside a gun shop. It certainly does not appear to be.

You are against guns. I get it; and it's fine. But you need to take the strict "anti-gun" opinions to the Politics and Other Controversies or Current Events sub-forums. This thread isn't about the merits of pro-gun versus anti-gun. This thread is about the specific situation where a gun shop moved next to a school in McLean.

Fact: Gun Shop located 3 blocks from said school.
Fact: No one protested the location of said shop; or the business at all.
Fact: Gun shop moves next door to school
Fact: Members of community get upset and protest and sign petitions.

Facts still Missing: Why the gun shop is more dangerous in this location than three blocks away? It's a simple question, and when I ask for the answer, all I get is people talking about how all guns are bad. That doesn't answer the question. The question is about proximity to the school.
Consider everything that I have posted to be in the context of this store opening up next to Franklin Sherman elementary school.

Blocks are not a standardized unit of measure. And 3 blocks makes quite a difference, in my opinion. I can have lunch today in my office's cafe downstairs, or I can go 3 blocks away to a fast casual shop, where I can get a sandwich. If I do, I will be in a different area than my office. It isn't so nice outside today, so I don't want to do that. See?

3 blocks means even less in the context of that area of McLean, which doesn't have a neatly organized street grid, like most of Fairfax County.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
My posts have sided with the law and the Constitution. Nothing more.
Stop waving the Constitution around. This isn't about the Constitution. This is about the specific location of a gun store.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:31 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,671,485 times
While it is highly unlikely that they do....I urge the swells in Mclean and like-minded folks everywhere to stay out of all WalMart stores, even the one in Tyson's. WalMart is, by far, the largest gun retailer in the United States!

NOVA WalMarts do not sell guns, but they do sell ammo. At the Fair Lakes store, the ammo shelves are right across from the toy section, for crying out loud!

I'm not a gun nut, but I have one. It's the 1911 Colt .45 that my pop carried as a Shore Patrolman during World War II. It's probably 75 years old or more and it's stamped U.S.N. That's the main reason I keep it....it was pop's. It apparently was pretty common for returning troops to keep their wartime weapons as mementos. Many of my childhood friends would pull out their dad's M-1 Garands, and other pieces, out of a closet for our inspection.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
While it is highly unlikely that they do....I urge the swells in Mclean and like-minded folks everywhere to stay out of all WalMart stores, even the one in Tyson's. WalMart is, by far, the largest gun retailer in the United States!
Many folks do. I wouldn't deign to step foot in a Wal-Mart, have not shopped there since I was a child with my parents, and luckily there are none near my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia