Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 11:26 AM

22,545 posts, read 12,115,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
This ain't Podunk, but people tend to exaggerate the cost-of-living here. And they tend to under-value the services and amenities that are available.
We pay less in real estate taxes than they do in, for example, Nassau County in NYC. We also get less in "services and amenities" than they do.

When my family from LI came to visit us, they commented on how we had no streetlights and hardly any sidewalks. Once our daughter looked at her cousin's school cafeteria's menu---what they were served looked like gourmet meals compared to what she got. Of course, kids being kids, her cousin thought the school food he got was "gross" They also have far better public transportation systems than we do.

You get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 01:35 PM

4,224 posts, read 3,044,329 times
Another example of how people tend to under-value the services and amenities that are available here.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:20 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,295,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
We pay less in real estate taxes than they do in, for example, Nassau County in NYC. We also get less in "services and amenities" than they do.

When my family from LI came to visit us, they commented on how we had no streetlights and hardly any sidewalks. Once our daughter looked at her cousin's school cafeteria's menu---what they were served looked like gourmet meals compared to what she got. Of course, kids being kids, her cousin thought the school food he got was "gross" They also have far better public transportation systems than we do.

You get what you pay for.
Sidewalks and streetlights are often up to the HOA of a particular community. Lake Barcroft, for example, has neither. It has nothing to do with lack of investment on the part of the state.

I'm honestly not sure what the point of this post is. We have more parks within walking distance than any place I've ever lived. More walking trails and public transportation stops too. More rec centers. More county and city-run classes and events.

For every Federal tax dollar Virginia pays, we get $1.75 back. Seems like pretty good ROI to me. Certainly better than comparing lunches.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
Sidewalks and streetlights are often up to the HOA of a particular community. Lake Barcroft, for example, has neither. It has nothing to do with lack of investment on the part of the state.

I'm honestly not sure what the point of this post is. We have more parks within walking distance than any place I've ever lived. More walking trails and public transportation stops too. More rec centers. More county and city-run classes and events.

For every Federal tax dollar Virginia pays, we get $1.75 back. Seems like pretty good ROI to me. Certainly better than comparing lunches.
Maybe where you live.

Sidewalks and streetlights are not always "up to the HOA". On main streets, HOAs has nothing to do with it. Some places don't even have HOAs.

You have "more parks within walking distance"? You can't assume that everybody in NoVA has that. Any parks I want to go to involve taking the car.

As for public transportation, you can't make the claim that all of NoVA has great public transportation. Things are very slowly improving in some areas. In 3 or so years, the silver line will open up more stations.

You need to explore NoVA outside your area before making assumptions.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Another example of how people tend to under-value the services and amenities that are available here.
Was that aimed at me? Perhaps, you, too, need to explore outside your corner of NoVA instead of making assumptions.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Maybe where you live.

Sidewalks and streetlights are not always "up to the HOA". On main streets, HOAs has nothing to do with it. Some places don't even have HOAs.

You have "more parks within walking distance"? You can't assume that everybody in NoVA has that. Any parks I want to go to involve taking the car.

As for public transportation, you can't make the claim that all of NoVA has great public transportation. Things are very slowly improving in some areas. In 3 or so years, the silver line will open up more stations.

You need to explore NoVA outside your area before making assumptions.
What a weird post...

Why be cryptic? Why not state where you are instead of alluding to everyone having no idea what they are talking about.

I specifically bought a house where beneficial infrastructure was established. Parks, sidewalks, trails, and access to public transit are important to us and we bought accordingly. I did move to London and then complain about lack of this and that. Or Warrenton. Or Winchester. NoVa is a huge area. Of course everywhere doesn't have everything. What's your point really?

Old 08-04-2017, 05:10 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,912,274 times
I will say Town of Herndon has really great amenities. I only miss Mary Riley Styles Library

And in Merrifield I had a lot of places to walk and pretty easy access to WMATA

There's a farmhouse on a massive lot across from the diesel pump next to Palm Tree School on Lee Hwy.

You can get it all in Nova

Old 08-04-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
What a weird post...

Why be cryptic? Why not state where you are instead of alluding to everyone having no idea what they are talking about.

I specifically bought a house where beneficial infrastructure was established. Parks, sidewalks, trails, and access to public transit are important to us and we bought accordingly. I did move to London and then complain about lack of this and that. Or Warrenton. Or Winchester. NoVa is a huge area. Of course everywhere doesn't have everything. What's your point really?
How was my post "weird"? What's "weird" about stating facts? I'm not complaining. We knew what were were buying into. That said, at the time we didn't know how good a choice it was since in about 3 years Metrorail won't be too far away.

Many times in this forum I've mentioned that I live in LoCo. Never have I been "cryptic" about my location.

Lucky you that you could afford to buy into such a place. Not everybody could do so. Sure it would have been nice to move to Arlington or Falls Church and be within walking distance of a Metro station but not everybody's budget can handle that.

You moved to "London" and then complained about lack of this and that? Huh?

You can't assume that everybody in NoVA has all the amenities that you do. What's your point really?

Old 08-05-2017, 06:48 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,044,329 times
Individual issues are more a reflection on the individual than on NoVa. The area scores well on nearly every standard, but for whatever reason, some still find it difficult to live here.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:34 AM

My English teachers always told me I was bad at proofreading. Loudon (which we all know Apple believes doesn't exist re:autocorrect). I didn't* move their and complain about lack of amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia