Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 03:04 PM

223 posts, read 315,813 times

Advertisements

You're not crazy OP. Look at this thread about people in Charlottesville being mean and rude. In that same thread, there are mentions of how NoVa can be an even less-friendly place for reasons similar to Charlottesville's problems. See if any of it resonates with your experiences: https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...mean-rude.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 04:13 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,264,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Last time I brought in an exterminator; he made a point to say the number one way to rid yourself of pests is to eliminate the food source. We should all remember to stop feeding....
So we quit posting? He responds to others as well with his inane comments.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:20 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,264,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Guy View Post
You're not crazy OP. Look at this thread about people in Charlottesville being mean and rude. In that same thread, there are mentions of how NoVa can be an even less-friendly place for reasons similar to Charlottesville's problems. See if any of it resonates with your experiences: https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...mean-rude.html
Again, I tend to view those that paint an area with such a broad brush are likely the problem. Loner, anti-social or one of several things. Don't really know but I lived in NOVA from 73-2015 and I do not agree with an assessment when made like this. Look in the mirror if you're having this much of an issue.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:51 PM

223 posts, read 315,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Again, I tend to view those that paint an area with such a broad brush are likely the problem. Loner, anti-social or one of several things. Don't really know but I lived in NOVA from 73-2015 and I do not agree with an assessment when made like this. Look in the mirror if you're having this much of an issue.
My mirror broke because I'm too ugly. Thanks for reminding me.

Old 07-21-2017, 07:18 PM

15,154 posts, read 27,846,811 times
OP - I'm sorry this had turned odd - but most points were right on, it takes time to establish relationships with other people. Meanwhile, there are so many things to do that I hope you are enjoying the area.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:00 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,321,150 times
I've lived here my whole life and by & large have found people pretty friendly. I have a lot of established friendships from growing up here but we just moved to a new house/neighborhood late last summer and have made a slew of great new friends. I would just give it some time.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:47 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,031,253 times
Posters in the NoVa forum are likely of disproportionately long residence in the area. In the general case, this may make them valuable points of reference for newcomers. But out in the real world, a much more significant number of other folks are newcomers themselves and may feel just as uncertain and uneasy about being in a new place as you do. Two can overcome this reluctance more easily if one goes first.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:09 AM

795 posts, read 1,012,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub-911 View Post
Posters in the NoVa forum are likely of disproportionately long residence in the area. In the general case, this may make them valuable points of reference for newcomers. But out in the real world, a much more significant number of other folks are newcomers themselves and may feel just as uncertain and uneasy about being in a new place as you do. Two can overcome this reluctance more easily if one goes first.
I was a long time resident of NoVa (about 56 years). We tried to reach out to newcomers in our neighborhood and for the most part got rejected. It was like they had a chip on the shoulder. Also found people out in the general public the same way. It got worse over the years.

Here in southeast VA, people young and old are noticeably friendlier and respectful to each other.

Sorry it is what it is.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:59 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,471,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Guy View Post
Is Virginia friendly? In general?

I mean I could say the same thing about Hampton Roads.

For some reason we have this sick obsession about people being friendly whenever we move somewhere in America. I never understood it. People are people. Why do people think that someone should go out of their way with transients. They chose to move there. I have no expectations about people being friendly to me when I'm somewhere else. I have to put in the same work I put in, in my own hometown.

Then I hear these odd misnomers saying that people in certain parts of the country are friendlier. The South is friendlier, the Midwest is friendlier. The West is weird and eccentric. The East are all academics and liberals. New England is the Midwest. So on and so forth.

It's all wrong. You can't stereotype people in DC, Northern Virginia, or Charlottesville any more than you can stereotype people in New York City.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:00 AM

4,224 posts, read 3,031,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
I was a long time resident of NoVa (about 56 years). We tried to reach out to newcomers in our neighborhood and for the most part got rejected. It was like they had a chip on the shoulder. Also found people out in the general public the same way. It got worse over the years.
I arrived here in the 1960's. Never did cotton to the sorts hereabouts in those days. Massive resistance? Laws prohibiting the sale of toilet paper on Sunday? No thanks. But I was speaking above about the NoVa of today, which is of course a very different place from what it was all those years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia