Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2020, 10:51 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,564,393 times

Advertisements

Reston farmer's market at 11:30 AM. The crowd might have been larger another couple of hours earlier, but the weather was really blustery.

Navigating Life in NOVA during Covid19-img_0006.jpg

Navigating Life in NOVA during Covid19-img_0007.jpg

The ladies salon pushed back their reopening to May 15. I think that is the governor's stated aim for reopening barbers and salons next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 03:28 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,564,393 times
Making the rounds is this article by a biology professor who specialized in immunology.

The Risks - Know Them , Avoid Them

https://erinbromage.wixsite.com/covi...hem-avoid-them

Notice that one of the recommendations for reopening barbers and stylists is to limit conversation because speech causes particles to travel longer distance. See here.

Last edited by lchoro; 05-09-2020 at 04:20 PM..

Old 05-09-2020, 04:12 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
Making the rounds is this article by a biology professor who specialized in immunology.

The Risks - Know Them , Avoid Them

https://erinbromage.wixsite.com/covi...hem-avoid-them

Notice that one of the recommendations for reopening barbers and stylists is to limit conversation because speech causes particles to travel longer distance.
Speaking as a black guy, there would be no point in going to a barbershop with that in place. The conversation is a crucial part of the black barbershop experience. It is our news, our Facebook, and our referral service.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:29 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,288,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
The ladies salon pushed back their reopening to May 15. I think that is the governor's stated aim for reopening barbers and salons next week.
I don’t know of any salons or barber shops around us that are opening.

I did notice that Dante Salon in Fairfax is hiring in all positions. I wonder what they did with their previous staff?

Old 05-09-2020, 09:40 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
I don’t know of any salons or barber shops around us that are opening.

I did notice that Dante Salon in Fairfax is hiring in all positions. I wonder what they did with their previous staff?
They can open under Phase 1 of the governor's plan, but I'm not sure what the date will be for us. At the beginning of last week I had the understanding that the entire commonwealth would "reopen" on the same schedule, but then yesterday after listening to the press conference that prospect had changed. I don't have an urge or need to quickly head out for a haircut, but I'm not sure where we will be next Friday with Phase 1 compared to other parts of the state.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:59 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
I was at LA Mart in Alexandria the other day. Apart from making people wear masks to shop at the store, they are also making people wear plastic gloves (supplied by the store, of course) before being allowed inside.

Old 05-10-2020, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I was at LA Mart in Alexandria the other day. Apart from making people wear masks to shop at the store, they are also making people wear plastic gloves (supplied by the store, of course) before being allowed inside.
Masks I understand. I don’t understand how gloves are helpful. From what I have read wearing gloves is no different from bare hands if the gloves are infected and you touch your face. Gloves could even be worse if a person has a false sense of security while wearing them.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/hea...t-coronavirus/

https://www.health.com/condition/inf...-grocery-store

Old 05-10-2020, 07:22 AM

989 posts, read 455,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Masks I understand. I don’t understand how gloves are helpful. From what I have read wearing gloves is no different from bare hands if the gloves are infected and you touch your face. Gloves could even be worse if a person has a false sense of security while wearing them.

https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/hea...t-coronavirus/

https://www.health.com/condition/inf...-grocery-store
Yeah, I don't get the gloves thing either. I guess they thought is that if you have the virus, it is assumed that your hands are contaminated so if you put gloves on it will be okay. But if your hands are contaminated, you will contaminate the gloves anyway when you put them on.

I only mildly understand using them to protect yourself from touching so many surfaces in the grocery store. But you have got to be meticulous about not touching your face and removing them when you leave the store.

But they don't really protect others in the store.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:36 PM

22,452 posts, read 11,977,478 times
I find that wearing gloves also serves as a reminder to not touch my face.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:58 PM

I've been going to the grocery store (Giant) about every two weeks around 8:30 p.m. Tonight I went about 8 p.m and chatted with the employee counting as I entered. He said I was number 13. I have done well on previous trips to the store, but tonight was about the best stocked I've seen it since mid-March. Bread, milk and such have been fine for a month or so now. I didn't need or buy any, but cleaning supplies were better stocked than during my recent trips. There was plenty of steak, ground beef, chicken... The frozen vegetable stock has been improving and tonight there was pretty much anything I would have wanted but it did look low on some items. Low stock, but still plenty of paper towels, napkins, and facial tissues beyond just the store brand. No TP. The past few trips I hadn't been able to buy the "water only" pancake mix, but I did get that tonight. On impulse I bought two 8 oz bottles of hand sanitizer for $3.49 each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia