Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2020, 03:34 AM

15,467 posts, read 25,915,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Back yard and 6' apart? Or pre-COVID behaviors where they are in your house, sitting in the chair next to you and (god forbid) using your bathroom? Are people getting comfortable with that now? Again, this is for small gatherings; not house parties.

For the record, I think I am ready for the latter, but haven't done it yet. But is that irresponsible to do? And for those (if, any?) that say it is irresponsible, when do you feel is the right time for that?
Someone wants to visit us this weekend, but after a lot of thought, we decided that it was too soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 05:17 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,209,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Someone wants to visit us this weekend, but after a lot of thought, we decided that it was too soon.
ok.....but when will it be ok? A certain amount of time? A declaration from Northam? Something else?

Old 05-16-2020, 05:52 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,289,939 times
We had our niece come out last week for a few days as she wanted to visit our grandson. She and her mom, wife's sister, come tomorrow for 2 days. We've had no visitors until this and we're not opening our home back up but it's time to start getting things slowly back to a norm of some kind.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:58 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,295,308 times
I think there are a lot of variables. We had a friend fly in from out of town and stay with us. She lives alone but has the opportunity for exposure at her job (plus the plane). But at the same time, we barely leave the house except for neighborhood walks. We won’t be eating out any time soon or going shopping in person (we get groceries and Target stuff delivered/shipped). We haven’t done anything social with local friends or arranged play dates. We wear masks when leaving the house even for walks outside.

But at the same time, we are still planning on doing our beach vacation which will mean a flight for our family in mid June. So we aren’t particularly consistent.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:02 PM

15,467 posts, read 25,915,429 times
Quote:
ok.....but when will it be ok? A certain amount of time? A declaration from Northam? Something else?
I'm not really sure. I will wait until I feel it is safe enough. Northam doesn't get to decide that for me, but I do listen to his opinions.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:38 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,630,821 times
Huge lines to get haircuts in Lynchburg. I thought they were supposed to have appointments.

link

We have cell phone waiting lists to get into Micro Center but they text you to get into the store. There's no need to have people standing around and sharing the air.

Old 05-17-2020, 02:36 PM

22,537 posts, read 12,108,365 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I'm not really sure. I will wait until I feel it is safe enough. Northam doesn't get to decide that for me, but I do listen to his opinions.
You ask a very good question, spencgr. I, for one, don't know the answer. All I know is that our grandsons really want to see us but my gut is telling me that the answer to that is (much as we, too, want to see them) "not yet". Their Dad works an essential job and is sometimes exposed to crowds of people when at work. On the flip side, we rarely go out but even then, we could get exposed.

Like dkf747, Northam doesn't get to decide that for me but I do listen to what he has to say.

Even if you invite someone into your home, who like you, rarely goes out there is no telling if either of you got exposed to the virus. Plus, you may be very diligent about being careful when out and thoroughly cleaning your home but can you say that about those who enter your home?

Old 05-18-2020, 07:09 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,445,835 times
I think it’s also going to be important to watch what happens over the next two to four weeks after we have opened up most of Virginia. Do the numbers increase, spike, flatten? What areas does this happen? If there isn’t a spike, hopefully, then maybe it is safer. In the meantime as someone in the risk category, I’m staying put and watching.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:19 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,209,364 times
So, had a friend over yesterday. We ate/ drank outside, but she did use my bathroom. Overall, I felt a little nervous before she came, but felt fine during the visit and feel good now. Baby steps.

Old 05-18-2020, 04:09 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,630,821 times
All of the barbers and salons that haven't closed for good have posted signs pointing to Friday May 29th. It is fairly easy to get paper products today if one wanted it and off-brands were acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia