Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:24 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I know some people on this forum are huge proponents of the South Shore coming to Munster - and I think it's a great idea. But I do wish that before that, that the Gary Airport would be re-developed into a substantial 3rd airport alternative. It's always been mind boggling to me that here is this potential jewel that would spur industry & create much needed jobs in this region ... and it just sits there. No roads need to be built - it's there. No train - it's there. Obviously the 3rd airport is another topic for another thread ... but you'd think that after all these years someone with political clout would've taken this project under their wing. Peotone & Beecher protest against a 3rd airport, and Gary sits right here with open arms. This world is so completely f'd up.
Maybe I'm wrong, but my impression is that the biggest impediment to the Gary airport being developed into the 3rd Chicago airport is Chicago and Illinois. They want all of the money for themselves. Certainly IN could enter into a revenue-sharing agreement with IL, but I think they want it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 08:15 AM

17,424 posts, read 14,642,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but my impression is that the biggest impediment to the Gary airport being developed into the 3rd Chicago airport is Chicago and Illinois. They want all of the money for themselves. Certainly IN could enter into a revenue-sharing agreement with IL, but I think they want it all.
The biggest impediment is what it always has been: money.

Huge chunks of land in and around the Peotone airport have been bought up for years - or so I've heard/read/seen - by speculators with political ties who stand to make a boatload of cash when that airport is developed.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:30 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
Well, I lived in Illinois for 26 years and honestly I don't remember hearing anyone put down Indiana. People laugh at the word "Hoosier" because let's face it, that sounds kind of hayseed. But at the Hoosiers themselves? No. And not one person I know has made a crack about me moving here.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:46 PM

320 posts, read 955,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Well, I lived in Illinois for 26 years and honestly I don't remember hearing anyone put down Indiana. People laugh at the word "Hoosier" because let's face it, that sounds kind of hayseed. But at the Hoosiers themselves? No. And not one person I know has made a crack about me moving here.
Exactly. Its more of a function that people don't consider Indiana because of a lack of familiarity.

When they do, they have to get past:

-pollution
-Gary/Hammond/East Chicago
-limited cultural opportunities
-limited shopping options
-limited transit options into the city.

You can argue that some of these are unfair....but these are the stereotypes the region has to fight.

Personally, I'd take Munster/Dyer/Highland over any south suburb in Cook and and Will county...but the local politicians need to start dealing with these perceptions.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:01 PM

912 posts, read 1,332,011 times
I could care less about others think about Indiana .I like it here .I have real life problems to deal with .Just my two cents.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:21 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times
Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow_nerve_action View Post
Exactly. Its more of a function that people don't consider Indiana because of a lack of familiarity.

When they do, they have to get past:

-pollution
-Gary/Hammond/East Chicago
-limited cultural opportunities
-limited shopping options
-limited transit options into the city.

You can argue that some of these are unfair....but these are the stereotypes the region has to fight.

Personally, I'd take Munster/Dyer/Highland over any south suburb in Cook and and Will county...but the local politicians need to start dealing with these perceptions.
I think this is honestly THE BEST and most accurate description of what is really going on. Thanks for posting this!

Old 08-26-2010, 10:31 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
They are just jealous of the exceptional schools,air quality,public service and lack of crime in Gary.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:26 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,067,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I'm from IL and I would rather the Gary Airport was expanded than the proposed "third airport" was built in Peotone.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:28 PM

59 posts, read 140,188 times
just moved up here from southern indiana(I mean further south than Indy) and we had the same problem with people from Louisville, Ky. They thought crossing the river north was going back in time 100 years. As far as Illinois goes, you can have it. I will travel over the border once in a while, but nowhere I'd want to live.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:54 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
You know that good ol' Daley would never let that fly since Chicago & Illinois wouldn't be able to collect revenues from it quite the same way since it's in Indiana. We'll see if the next mayor has any different opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
I'm from IL and I would rather the Gary Airport was expanded than the proposed "third airport" was built in Peotone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana