Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 06:44 AM

277 posts, read 442,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post

Most notably, the main thing that would be of concern (if at all) would your kids feeling "lesser" because they live "north of Ridge and west of Calumet". Again, this is comparative to the rest of the town.
Why would anyone feel "lesser" for living northwest of Ridge and Calumet? I don't think the question was a status symbol, better than you type of question. I think it was more of a "is it safe" question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 07:09 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iidreamtheaterii View Post
Why would anyone feel "lesser" for living northwest of Ridge and Calumet? I don't think the question was a status symbol, better than you type of question. I think it was more of a "is it safe" question.
The question was a safety question. However my response is basically saying "if anything, safety would be of the least concern as opposed to how your kids may be treated". I have lived in this town for pver 20 years, so you know. I grew up during the development of the south side of Munster and the main thing people in the northwest side complained about what their kids being teased and lack of resources being used on that side of town. Not crime. Nobody SHOULD feel lesser for living in any part of Munster. But at the end of the day, it appears that those feelings are of much greater concern than crime (for the reason I stated above)

Old 04-04-2014, 10:28 AM

3 posts, read 4,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest Indiana View Post
White Oak Estates is not in the area you are looking at. It actually is on the complete opposite corner of town, almost 6 miles away.

In regards to the Northwest part of time, most of what you hear is comparatively speaking. It is not bad, ghetto, or crime-ridden by any means. However, most of the crime in town is skewed to that area. The area is getting more improved as some of the older duplexes along Manor Ave are being knocked down to make way for more green space and there will be more homes knocked down and rebuilt.

The school in that area of town (Eads Elementary School) serves the area that you are looking in as well as all of Munster WEST of Calumet Ave. This includes the subdivisions of West Lakes of Munster on the extreme southwest side (in which the school corporation owns land) as well as Community Estates on the southwest side (which is seeing more construction activity). Both of those communities have higher income families (although, not quite as high as the south/southeast side or the northeast/east side). It is the most economically, racially, and ethnically diverse school in Munster. It is still a solid school where your child will have a good education; however, there are more ESL students and some economically disadvantaged students who need more resources. In addition, when Munster used to allow transfer students, Eads received the most as it was closest to Hammond and Lansing residents who wanted to send their kids there. Frank Hammond also received many mostly from Schererville and Dyer.

Most notably, the main thing that would be of concern (if at all) would your kids feeling "lesser" because they live "north of Ridge and west of Calumet". Again, this is comparative to the rest of the town.
This is extremely helpful! I cannot thank you enough!!

There is one house in the white oak estates, but i genuinely don't like it much despite what i hear is a very affluent area.

For the same price as that white oaks house, I do like a couple of properties west of calumet; west of manor, too actually. It very nearly hits the illinois border. Just a bit north of broadmoor, maybe even less than 1/4 of a mile (thus certainly north of ridge). Since I didn't know much about Munster, I just scouted the whole town assuming that all of Munster is a great place to live, but very quickly I found out about the town's own rankings. I was surprised because I found the houses to be just absolutely gorgeous in most parts of town. I did get the sense that there older people in the northwest part.

As far as feeling "lesser," I completely get your point. I grew up in actually lesser parts of towns (west side Chicago) so I am not too worried. I am banking on my kids being perceptive enough to understand how these things work. Plus, as a diverse family, maybe this area is just the right place for us because, as you have made clear, it is great to live in and the school solid. Moving to a completely not diverse neighborhood might be too much of a change.

Plus, there's a nearby Five Guys. That seals it

Once again, sincere thanks. I look forward to following this thread.

PS I should say the following: I cannot wait to move to Munster. Looks like a great, great town. At the risk of angering my future neighbors, the other towns nearby simply didn't compare to what I was looking for. I am certain my whole family will love Munster.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:33 PM

Thumbs up Improved Website

If anyone has been to the Town of Munster website before, it was basically the same format that it was in the late 90s early 2000s...however, they have completely revamped the website!

Take a look: Town of Munster Website - New

The old website can still be accessed here, for now: Town of Munster Website - Old

Old 04-23-2014, 11:08 AM

21 posts, read 42,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoindiana View Post

PS I should say the following: I cannot wait to move to Munster. Looks like a great, great town. At the risk of angering my future neighbors, the other towns nearby simply didn't compare to what I was looking for. I am certain my whole family will love Munster.
I felt the same way three years ago when I moved from Merrillville to Munster and I have not regretted the decision once. My daughter goes to Eads and we love the school. It is diverse, which is a GOOD thing, in my opinion. I don't want my kids going to a school where everyone is exactly like them. The principal and teachers at Eads are great and I can't say enough good things about what they've done at that school. The "low" rating is because of the test scores from the students of lower socio-economic status. It's funny how I hear people refer to Eads as the lowest-performing school in Munster, but it outperforms some of the "high-performing" schools in neighboring towns

Old 04-26-2014, 09:57 AM

21 posts, read 63,796 times
I came from and love that side of town. Loved the people, loved the trees and the gorgeous walks. And everyone I've known with kids in Eads loves it. HOWEVER, there are a few problems you should be aware of...(this is the State Line to Hohmann section I'm talking about), all the older 1940's ish homes.

1.) It's not unsafe, not by a long shot, but last summer (which is right around the time I moved) there were a string of armed robberies in the alleys and some break ins. The cops told us that a lot of kids ride their bikes in from Lansing to rob in Munster, then jet back over to the Illinois side. Also, that little strip on Ridge with the horrible smoke shop is really, really dicey, and some people use the alleys as a cut threw to this and drive like bats out of hell. Sometimes you get drunks wandering the alleys, etc etc

2.) A lot of the basements around there have seepage issues in heavy spring rains. They're older and in a wet area, so look super-carefully for that, particularly if the basement is finished.

All that said, I miss it over there and would buy again in a heartbeat (well, in a sealed basement, that is)

Old 05-01-2014, 04:37 AM

Thumbs up Update: Business Growth/Centennial Village

Great article that speaks of some of the great development here!

Business is booming in Munster

Old 05-22-2014, 09:52 PM

3 posts, read 4,902 times
Many thanks for everyone's input.

I am officially leaving Chicago for Munster. Bought the house I wanted.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoindiana View Post
Many thanks for everyone's input.

I am officially leaving Chicago for Munster. Bought the house I wanted.
You're welcome! Good to hear, and welcome to Munster and Northwest Indiana!

Old 06-09-2014, 10:08 PM

Default News

DeGuilio's contract not renewed

Munster's Town Manager for about 30 years will no longer continue to serve in that position. I wonder who the replacement will be and what it will mean for the town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Northwest Indiana