Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 07:16 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjamesart View Post
ok well I don't smoke around other people out of consideration so that makes me even more in the minority.
That statement gives great insight into why many non-smokers have a problem with smokers. It is because even ONE smoker a day, who stands next to store entrance smoking, or theater entrance smoking, or bus stop smoking, or public hallway smoking .... those instances make "The Smoker" a nuisance for non-smokers.

If every smoker only smoked where their smoke would not affect others, then there would be way less push back from non-smokers. The fact that so many laws have been passed in Hawaii to prohibit smoking in public places, and to increase the taxes on tobacco, are likely a direct result of non-smokers being angry at the unhealthy habit of smokers.... which the smokers have for years prior inflicted upon the non-smokers.

JJ uses the term "minority", perhaps correctly, because until the laws become stricter and stricter in Hawaii, many smokers showed a "I don't care about YOU" attitude. The Hawaii laws have changed that, the laws have required that smokers DO pay attention how their smoke affects others.

If all smokers had behaved as JJ says he does ("don't smoke around other people"), it would not have been necessary to have so may anti-smoking laws.

The cost to the taxpayers in healthcare costs is a whole different problem, because taxpayers do end up paying for workers who become disabled due to smoking related health issues. And the taxpayers end up paying for Medicare costs when smokers get old enough to qualify, and when smokers' health costs become the taxpayers concern.

I have sympathy for smokers, who have fallen victim to companies that make money off a product that causes such harm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 11:33 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post

If all smokers had behaved as JJ says he does ("don't smoke around other people"), it would not have been necessary to have so may anti-smoking laws.
Very true!

Old 02-19-2013, 09:06 PM

406 posts, read 866,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
I've always found your posts to be very intelligent, Mickey!
Thank you, thank you very much!

Mickey

Old 03-20-2013, 05:04 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,953 times
Default Good News!

"City Council approves smoking ban at some beaches."
Well, it's a good start.

City Council approves smoking ban at some beaches - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Old 03-20-2013, 07:18 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,100,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Well, it's a good start.

City Council approves smoking ban at some beaches - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL
Let's hope the Mayor signs it.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:07 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,518,058 times
Even though I'm not a smoker, I'm not in favor of this ban. Pretty soon smokers in Honolulu will only be allowed to smoke in their own backyards. Then some of their niele neighbors might complain.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:57 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,811,997 times
Hawaii Island is ahead in the protection of its citizens and visitors:

"In addition to strong state laws aimed at limiting exposure to secondhand smoke, the Hawai‘i County Council passed legislation to prohibit smoking or use of any tobacco products at county parks and recreational facilities (which includes beaches) in 2008 (§14-21(b) Hawai‘i County Code) and in 2010, passed legislation prohibiting smoking in a motor vehicle whenever occupied by a person less than eighteen years of age (§14-21(a)(12) Hawai‘i County Code)."

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
Even though I'm not a smoker, I'm not in favor of this ban. Pretty soon smokers in Honolulu will only be allowed to smoke in their own backyards. Then some of their niele neighbors might complain.
For me, I do not care very much about what a neighbor does in their own yard, as long as it does not affect my health, safety, or enjoyment of my own property. If they decide to smoke outside of their own home, and do so on the property line that is next to my window, Houston, we have a problem. (Same as if their dog barks all night when I am trying to sleep, or they decide to have a big noise fest at 2 am, or they want to burn rubbish in their yard next to my property .... if their stink or noise cannot be contained in their own yard, then there is a problem.)

Some smokers are much more considerate than others. If they were all considerate, there would be way less backlash nowadays.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:01 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,100,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Some smokers are much more considerate than others. If they were all considerate, there would be way less backlash nowadays.
So true!

We are talking about people here, so unfortunately most of them are in their own little world where they do what they want without a thought or care about others or the world around them. I used to like humans.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:43 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Well, it's a good start.

There wouldn't be a ban on smoking at the beaches if smokers never ever dropped their butts into the sand and had some consideration about the people around them.

All the anti-smoking laws are brought to you compliments of inconsiderate, self-centered smokers.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:59 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,518,058 times
Exactly who is going to enforce this smoking ban at said beaches? Or, does the Man want us to narc on smokers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: