Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
 [Register]
Oahu Includes Honolulu
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 04:50 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,861,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
I'd bet a dollar that Mickey is the only Republican on this thread!

Unfortunately, OP, you ran out of logical arguments before you even got started. Name calling and insults is just digging your hole a lot deeper.

Lumping smokers in with true minorities is an extreme insult to real minorities. I am certain that Mickey and the others on here would never want to impede the rights of any minorities.

Thanks for the fun at your expense! The forums needed a little livening up.
Where can I collect my dollar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 06:43 PM

26 posts, read 29,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Ok, I'll play..... how is the high price of cigarettes taking away minorities rights? Caucasians smoke too.
minority groups aren't exclusively based on race. They are also based on gender, religion, age, disability, sexuality, etc. etc. It's any group that is in the minority that is in danger of having their rights taken away by the majority.

Sadly this kind bullying never goes away. What's hilarious is the hypocrisy from some of the people writing in this thread. They will say one minority group's rights are valid, while another's are invalid. Lol helllllo. When will people just mind their own business and let people be who they are and do what they want.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:28 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,819,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjamesart View Post
When will people just mind their own business and let people be who they are and do what they want.
Exposure to second-hand smoke, the resulting healthcare costs carried by the taxpayer, and setting social norms for youth, go beyond "minding one's own business" because they are societal issues.

WebMD

Quote:
What may be less obvious is the effect smoking has on those who are exposed to it secondhand. That exposure can be significant, especially for those who live or work with a smoker. In reality, most of the smoke from a burning cigarette doesn't get sucked down into a smoker's lungs -- it escapes into the air, where it can be inhaled by anyone unfortunate enough to be nearby.
Quote:
When you breathe in smoke that comes from the end of a lit cigarette, cigar, or pipe (sidestream smoke) or that is exhaled by a smoker (mainstream smoke), you're inhaling almost the same amount of chemicals as the smoker breathes in. Tobacco smoke contains more than 4,000 different chemical compounds, more than 50 of which are known to cause cancer.
Hawaii has worked for many years towards a healthier, smoke-free environment. Those progressive and healthful changes happen because the residents choose to get involved through legislation, and support healthy lifestyles.

In Hawaii, it is easy to access help on quitting smoking: 1-800-Quit Now [Clear the Smoke]

Keep this thread going, it is useful information for current residents of Hawaii, as well as those who are thinking of moving here and wondering about the health attitude of the state regarding tobacco. It falls in with the concept of working towards protecting the aina (land), clean water, clean air ~ those are some of the great things about Hawaii.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:33 PM

ok well I don't smoke around other people out of consideration so that makes me even more in the minority. Maybe it's just where you're walking.. dunno. Not my problem tho.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:39 PM

49 posts, read 133,200 times
Default Pipe tobacco or Grow your own

We signed the petitions and wrote letter's to Mazy; to no avail. YET! The action of this Huge and Unfair taxation will be reversed, in time. All legislature's will receive letters and petitions at any time, not only just before voting. Although I don't know of any reasonably priced places on ANY island, I can tell you what we have done.

We, some of our neigbors and new friends, and I purchase Pipe tobacco from Lil Brown Smoke Shack. There are many online stores you can purchase from Then, we buy the tubes from Amazon; we roll our own. The only different between Pipe Tobacco and Cigarette Tobacco is the cut; long for pipe and short for cigarettes.

Not only does it come out to about $8.00 per carton, none of the added ingredients that now go into pre-manufacturer-ed cigarettes go into the product you roll yourself. They sell the hand crank machines for about $35; the same would cost over $100 on island. So, although legislature's went ahead and passed huge taxes onto tobacco consumers; you're also getting Banged by local retailers.

I would be willing to open a local tobacco shop on the Big Island; if anyone is interested, email me through this site. We've already got 4 other people interested in a co-op type of venture. In fact, we've found 2 companies so far on the Big Island who have said they'd be interested in growing some tobacco for our store.

This is just sad, but expected from someone who appears to constantly need to prove troglodyte-ness:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDiver View Post
I've had a lot of laughs today at his/her/its expense, and I thank them for making the forum fun for the afternoon!

Last edited by 1hotnspicy1; 02-14-2013 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: Left out: Long and Short cut of tobacco

Old 02-14-2013, 07:43 PM

yeah cybercity why don't you go tax Kilauea for all the vog you're breathing in LOL that's way worse than me sitting in front of my computer having a little puff.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:23 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,819,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjamesart View Post
yeah cybercity why don't you go tax Kilauea for all the vog you're breathing in LOL that's way worse than me sitting in front of my computer having a little puff.
But if someone else's smoking affects ME or another bystander, then I do care. How can one person smoking affect another person? I'll explain (again) some points:

exposure to dangerous second hand smoke
health care costs that the public pays
clean land and water (including cigarette butt litter)
social norms for impressionable youth

I could go on if you need more examples. Thankfully, there are ways that people in Hawaii can obtain free help in quitting or getting more information: 1-800-Quit Now.

Wishing health to all!

Old 02-14-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
But if someone else's smoking affects ME or another bystander, then I do care. How can one person smoking affect another person? I'll explain (again) some points:

exposure to dangerous second hand smoke
health care costs that the public pays
clean land and water (including cigarette butt litter)
social norms for impressionable youth

I could go on if you need more examples. Thankfully, there are ways that people in Hawaii can obtain free help in quitting or getting more information: 1-800-Quit Now.

Wishing health to all!
okay well none of your examples apply to me. My smoking doesn't affect you.

I don't smoke around other people
my job pays for my health care
I never litter
I don't have children or smoke around them

So again you're trying to take my individual rights away and the rights of other responsible smokers in hawaii for no other legitimate reason other than you're bigoted. But it's okay because I don't think you're a bad person. I can see you really care about people's health, and I'm sure once you realize you are unfairly targeting a minority group simply because you disagree with what they do, you will realize the hypocrisy and come over to the side of freedom and civil rights for all.

Old 02-14-2013, 10:23 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,824,178 times
Johnnyjamesart,
When you do finally quit, then you will begin to see just how disgusting your habit was. I remember when my Dad quit smoking. We went to a family members house who smoked and he was shocked at how awful everything smelled there. He then noticed the yellow walls in their house and their nasty tar stained hands. He heard their horrible smokers cough and then realized how hard it was for a non smoker to breath around a smoker. Unfortunately, my mother never noticed any of those things. She kept smoking and died from lung cancer at age 57.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:26 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,058,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Exposure to second-hand smoke, the resulting healthcare costs carried by the taxpayer, and setting social norms for youth, go beyond "minding one's own business" because they are societal issues.

WebMD

Hawaii has worked for many years towards a healthier, smoke-free environment. Those progressive and healthful changes happen because the residents choose to get involved through legislation, and support healthy lifestyles.

In Hawaii, it is easy to access help on quitting smoking: 1-800-Quit Now [Clear the Smoke]

Keep this thread going, it is useful information for current residents of Hawaii, as well as those who are thinking of moving here and wondering about the health attitude of the state regarding tobacco. It falls in with the concept of working towards protecting the aina (land), clean water, clean air ~ those are some of the great things about Hawaii.
AWESOME post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hotnspicy1 View Post
This is just sad, but expected from someone who appears to constantly need to prove troglodyte-ness:
From you of all people, now that's just good comedy humor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Johnnyjamesart,
When you do finally quit, then you will begin to see just how disgusting your habit was. I remember when my Dad quit smoking. We went to a family members house who smoked and he was shocked at how awful everything smelled there. He then noticed the yellow walls in their house and their nasty tar stained hands. He heard their horrible smokers cough and then realized how hard it was for a non smoker to breath around a smoker. Unfortunately, my mother never noticed any of those things. She kept smoking and died from lung cancer at age 57.
AWESOME post. I am very sorry about your mother dying so young from something she could have so easily avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Oahu
View detailed profiles of: