Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 11:48 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,163,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
There are currently plans in the works for the five public employee retirement system to make them more financially stable. SB 5 is not needed for this. All public employees contribute to their health care. I was just reading an article about the bonuses GM workers are getting. I think the salary workers are getting $4000, with management getting greater bonuses. Public employees never get bonuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Since GM still owes us taxpayers alot of money IMO I do not think GM should be passing out bonuses.
Now there I must agree with you on ZnGuy. They (GM) need to pay back all the money that was given to them before they hand out any bonuses. Even if it means that they ALL take pay cuts to do it.
But no wait the union probably won't let them do that. Because that means that the useless union won't get their greedy mits on their share.

That's why we are buying Toyota's from here on out, sorry couldn't afford the Honda Ridgeline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 12:30 PM

913 posts, read 2,365,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
Because that means that the useless union won't get their greedy mits on their share.

Do you have data to back up that claim?

Old 02-19-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Unions are over rated and out dated, they protect the lazy ones that should be tossed out on their ears. .
Do you have data to back up that claim?

Old 02-19-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Have you heard any teacher now that say the qualify for them now?

No, because they currently have collective bargaining.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:09 PM

Good God!

I use to be in one and all they did was take our money, AFL/CIO, that's my proof

Old 02-19-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Good God!

I use to be in one and all they did was take our money, AFL/CIO, that's my proof
I think your analysis is a little incomplete.

What does it matter to you if they have collective bargaining or not? Are you saying because you do not have, no one should have it?

Old 02-19-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
I think your analysis is a little incomplete.

What does it matter to you if they have collective bargaining or not? Are you saying because you do not have, no one should have it?
Nope not at all, look at all the money that the auto industry got from our taxes. Have they paid back any of it,or should I say ALL of it back? Did the employees (Union) take a pay cut to save their worthless jobs? NO. But they're all getting these nice bonuses and yet they still owe the money to the tax payers of this country.
Ronald Reagan did a good thing when he busted up the Air Traffic Controllers Union and fired a bunch of them sorry butts. And they were federal employees paid by tax payers money. No one that works for the cities, state or federal government should be allowed to have a union. If your not good enough to keep your job, then you don't deserve that job. I didn't like the work that I was doing, so I moved on and got another one.

Old 02-19-2011, 06:07 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,557,069 times
FWIW, here's my .02¢ worth: I'm retired military; 23 years all active duty. I considered going Air Force Reserves at one time but decided to stay active. I was lucky enough to retire with 50% of my base pay (two Congressional changes since I enlisted reduced the amount of retired pay). A fair exchange for my services, I believe. While you won't get rich from militrary pay, it's not a bad living. And there's no suprise on rates of pay; military pay charts are available everywhere. FWIW, I have NO sympathy for military members who say they need food stamps. You knew what military pay was before you enlisted. Why have three kids before you're an E-5???

There was a brief effort in the 1980s for unionization of the military by one of the unions; (AFSCME?) But it died a quick death. As I believe it should have. Military pay & benefits are adequate and the most you would have to endure what you believe is inadequate pay would be 6 years.

I STRONGLY believe in public sector unions, however. (Yes, I'm marriied to a teacher) While negotiation during financially difficult times is necessary, I believe public employees have the right to be protected from the political whims of politicians and some of the taxpayers that are motivated solely by envy and have little understanding of what being a public employee entails.

Unions aren't the perfect answer. But they offer their members at least some protection in a world where the employer calls all the shots and can do pretty much anything they want to their employees.

Davery, you make some excellent points. I also understand that Ohio's taxpayers will be shocked when they discover what will happen if Gov. Kasich and his cronies strip public employees of collective bargaining. Investing in household moving companies might be a smart idea...

Last edited by Crew Chief; 02-19-2011 at 06:15 PM..

Old 02-19-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
FWIW, here's my .02¢ worth: I'm retired military; 23 years all active duty. I considered going Air Force Reserves at one time but decided to stay active. I was lucky enough to retire with 50% of my base pay (two Congressional changes since I enlisted reduced the amount of retired pay). A fair exchange for my services, I believe. While you won't get rich from militrary pay, it's not a bad living. And there's no suprise on rates of pay; military pay charts are available everywhere. FWIW, I have NO sympathy for military members who say they need food stamps. You knew what military pay was before you enlisted. Why have three kids before you're an E-5???

There was a brief effort in the 1980s for unionization of the military by one of the unions; (AFSCME?) But it died a quick death. As I believe it should have. Military pay & benefits are adequate and the most you would have to endure what you believe is inadequate pay would be 6 years.

I STRONGLY believe in public sector unions, however. (Yes, I'm marriied to a teacher) While negotiation during financially difficult times is necessary, I believe public employees have the right to be protected from the political whims of politicians and some of the taxpayers that are motivated solely by envy and have little understanding of what being a public employee entails.

Unions aren't the perfect answer. But they offer their members at least some protection in a world where the employer calls all the shots and can do pretty much anything they want to their employees.

Davery, you make some excellent points. I also understand that Ohio's taxpayers will be shocked when they discover what will happen if Gov. Kasich and his cronies strip public employees of collective bargaining. Investing in household moving companies might be a smart idea...
Heck, I want to do that now, move out of Ohio that is. Cold weather doesn't agree with me like it use to.

Where I live most of the kids here are Home schooled and are doing much better in college than most of their public school counter parts. Public schools seem to put sports on a higher level that they should and education takes a back seat. that's one of the main reasons why folks around here don't want to give the school any more money than they need. The teachers don't want to do anything that will challenge the students. Hell, they actually killed the gifted reading classes so they coulds save their useless sports program. Now what's that saying about the schools?

We have no police department out here, we depend on the Sheriffs deparments and they're about as useless as the teachers are out here. All of them have unions and all of them are a waste of time and money. If they're not willing to better themselves and keep up with the times, then let them go and get someone who is worth giveing a pay raise too.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:19 AM

560 posts, read 1,717,231 times
All of this talk about the "Poor Teachers" in WI and elsewhere... no sale here. Who else gets 2 weeks at Christmas, 1 week in the Spring, every minor holiday, and 10 weeks off in the Summer??? Teachers are great, God bless them, but the fact of the matter is that they work part-time! Why do they deserve a full-time salary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio