Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2012, 02:27 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,449,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
[/b]
There was actually an article in the Oklahoman several months back concerning our state liquor laws. Costco was specifically mentioned. The article said that Costco had stated they would not come to OK until we changed our liquor laws. The article went on to that the company could open 6-10 stores in the next few years, but they wont' until it's changed. So I guess until we can convince our state government to join the 21st century and allow us the ability just to buy a simple bottle of wine at the grocery store, we're out of luck. I tried to add a link to the article, but couldn't get it to work.
But, back a few years when liquor by the drink was illegal (although certainly available by the drink or whatever way anyone wanted it... ), there had to be a vote by the people to change the law. It wasn't up to the government. They came into it when they made the laws we had to follow, such as happy hour. I know they did something about that, that changed how it was offered.

I think it took a petition with a certain number of signatures to force a call for a special election. Some churches fought it, although, the membership could be seen around town at various clubs. I'm sure if laws about selling in grocery stores will have to be voting on by the public.

I think I'll add the religious contingent who wanted Oklahoma to only allow liquor stores or not even that, which I remember how it was then, with even the small towns having their very own bootlegger.... so long as it was so-called hidden, it was all right, so long as the alcoholic members of the church still sat on the front seat Sunday morning. Ahh, the olden days. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 05:51 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,511,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
But, back a few years when liquor by the drink was illegal (although certainly available by the drink or whatever way anyone wanted it... ), there had to be a vote by the people to change the law. It wasn't up to the government. They came into it when they made the laws we had to follow, such as happy hour. I know they did something about that, that changed how it was offered.

I think it took a petition with a certain number of signatures to force a call for a special election. Some churches fought it, although, the membership could be seen around town at various clubs. I'm sure if laws about selling in grocery stores will have to be voting on by the public.

I think I'll add the religious contingent who wanted Oklahoma to only allow liquor stores or not even that, which I remember how it was then, with even the small towns having their very own bootlegger.... so long as it was so-called hidden, it was all right, so long as the alcoholic members of the church still sat on the front seat Sunday morning. Ahh, the olden days. LOL
>>>>>
Some churches fought it, although, the membership could be seen around town at various clubs.
<<<<<

Hey! Quit talking about me!

Old 02-26-2012, 06:37 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,545,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
Some churches fought it, although, the membership could be seen around town at various clubs.
<<<<<

Hey! Quit talking about me!
We have a brand new package store in town and the proprietor said people will literally park a block away before coming in and looking both ways before leaving. And there are a few that still go to the next town to buy their booze. How funny and sad at the same time.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:12 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,219,354 times
Default History

Remember that Oklahoma, the former Indian Territory, was under Federal prohibition since 1836 when the US Congress banned the sale of alcohol in the territory. Native Americans had a lot of alcohol problems and this was a preemptive measure against making an easy buck by turning Indian Territory into a boozy wasteland. Of course, this didn't stop cowboys along the Chisholm Trail and others from bringing along whiskey to trade with the local civilized tribes in the territory.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:36 PM

242 posts, read 765,448 times
The issue of selling liquor in grocery stores is not just about "joining the 21st century" and shedding antiquated moralistic laws. In fact, I wouldn't even say that makes up a majority of the opposition to allowing liquor in groceries.

The real problem is what would happen to the liquor store industry, which is made up of hundreds of mom-and-pop locally owned businesses who have been protected from international chains like Walmart. Imagine if Walmart had all the liquor and strong beer- what would happen to some of these businesses- many of which are the last thriving business left in some towns.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:05 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,769,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ou_norman View Post
The issue of selling liquor in grocery stores is not just about "joining the 21st century" and shedding antiquated moralistic laws. In fact, I wouldn't even say that makes up a majority of the opposition to allowing liquor in groceries.

The real problem is what would happen to the liquor store industry, which is made up of hundreds of mom-and-pop locally owned businesses who have been protected from international chains like Walmart. Imagine if Walmart had all the liquor and strong beer- what would happen to some of these businesses- many of which are the last thriving business left in some towns.
I don't want hard liquor sales in grocery stores, but I do want real beer and wine. There are plenty of mom and pop liquors in states where this is possible. When I lived in a state which had wine in grocery stores, I would occasionally pick up a bottle so I could have a glass or two in the evening. Now that it requires a special trip, I don't buy it at all. The only time I go to a liquor store is when I need "liquor", which is rare. I'm not making a special trip for it. I miss not being able to go to the local liquor store and browse the gourmet food sections. Hubby misses being able to go and find lots of cool, imported non-alcoholic beers (all he drinks). Those are virtually unheard of in Oklahoma because grocery stores don't do enough volume of them, and liquor stores can't carry them. We have to shop for his beers in Texas when we go visit family. I usually pick up a few bottles of wine for myself at the same time.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:43 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,769,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
*Bump*

I found an older article from 2010 discussing future high end grocery stores in Oklahoma City worth reading if you are curious about good grocery stores in Oklahoma.

Doing OK | Whole Foods' pending arrival signals change in Oklahoma City's discount-heavy grocery market | Retail & Financial content from Supermarket News

Thankfully we did get Sunflower Markets! And of course we did get a Whole Foods! I must say, I am impressed that OKC is finally pulling out of the Walmart cesspool which has plagued the metro (and state) from decent to high end grocery stores.

So does that mean OKC metro wont have a second Whole Foods? I would be very interested seeing Sprouts make its way into the metro. I wonder how long it will take Trader Joe's to see potential in OKC. They are already about to open up several locations in Texas, with several in the Dallas region. Kansas City area already has two Trader Joes. They can't possibly skip over OKC which has been changing for the better in the past 10 years.

It would also be nice if we had a good grocery store in Norman. We have a huge university with a diverse population and crapland isn't cutting it.

I read today that Sunflower Market has announced they are putting a store in Norman, on Main St. Downtown. Great News.

Edmonds new Uptown Grocery opened today. It's very nice. Lots of organic options as well as traditional groceries. Tons of fresh prepared meals. The only problem I see is that it's just not big enough to do both the extensive natural/organic thing and the traditional grocery thing very well. They don't carry some of the brands/variety of items I typically buy, so I will still have to shop elsewhere to get some items. But, heck, it's better than Homeland or Walmart.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:29 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
So what person or what group has the money to form an organization to pay hundreds signature takers needed to gather the many thousands of signatures required for a successful petition to call on a vote where approval would allow wine sold in grocery stores?

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 02-29-2012 at 11:37 PM..

Old 03-01-2012, 07:55 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,449,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So what person or what group has the money to form an organization to pay hundreds signature takers needed to gather the many thousands of signatures required for a successful petition to call on a vote where approval would allow wine sold in grocery stores?
I'm not advocating it, but, merely mentioning how liquor by the drink came into being. Doesn't matter to me if Bass&Catfish ever gets to buy strong drink sold next to the pork chops.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:59 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,511,946 times
Quote:
I'm not advocating it, but, merely mentioning how liquor by the drink came into being. Doesn't matter to me if Bass&Catfish ever gets to buy strong drink sold next to the pork chops.
*shoots whiskey, gulp*

*opens Bible, begins reading*

Someone say my name?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma > Oklahoma City