Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 12:51 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,196,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigproblems View Post
The thing is that when there are so many sub-freezing days in Omaha, the snow does not melt. So even if it only snows 4 inches one night, that snow could potentially be on the ground for a few weeks. Especially since it snows about once a week
during December through February. Also, the city does a really poor job of keeping the roads plowed. Some winters in Omaha aren't bad at all, but they can also be miserable (2009 was my last winter in Omaha).

Also, saying that Omaha summers are average is true........when you compare it to every city in the US. Most of those cities that are in the top 100 on the list are located in the south. Everyone knows that cities in Texas, Louisiana and Arizona are going to be warmer then cities in Nebraska. Duh. Comparing Omaha to other places in the Midwest would be more relevant then comparing Omaha to cities all over the country.
Comparing the city to others around the nation is very relevant. We are in the center of the country. Ironically the same can be said for your 'cold cities list'. That list consists of cities mainly in the south and coastal areas. Did you see des moines, madison, fargo or a slew of 'northern cities' on there? No, because the list was major cities. At least my list expanded to include those very communities.

Why so negative ? I know your handle is 'big problems', but does that mean you have to spread your 'big problem' mentality on the rest of us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 01:21 PM

217 posts, read 208,596 times
I'm not being negative. I enjoyed a lot of things about Omaha, but the weather was not one of them.

Speaking of handles, "Omahahonors", you seem to think that Omaha is some magical, perfect place. It isn't. There is a lot to like about Omaha, but complaining about the harsh winters and muggy summers is valid.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:27 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,196,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigproblems View Post
I'm not being negative. I enjoyed a lot of things about Omaha, but the weather was not one of them.

Speaking of handles, "Omahahonors", you seem to think that Omaha is some magical, perfect place. It isn't. There is a lot to like about Omaha, but complaining about the harsh winters and muggy summers is valid.
Fair enough. It is fair. I was just giving a point of reference to which others can relate our climate to their own experiences. To some, Minnesota would be hot and muggy or Dallas as too cold.

So my post was to clarify in relative terms rather than experiences. For example, if one can handle a Dallas or Vegas summer (i couldn't when i lived there), you could easily handle ours.

But i did say their post was a good one. Im just an info-nerd. I guess i just read 'too' much.

Oh. And Omaha is a magical place

Old 07-08-2015, 09:33 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,078,885 times
On a side note, my mother just returned from a brief trip to Omaha for a friend's wedding. It's the first time she has been back since we moved away when I was a teenager and she was absolutely amazed at how much the city has changed for the better since then.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:37 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,997,708 times
I'm glad your aunt was impressed with the changes, McBain II! Omaha's a very livable city, and the downtown has developed into something any city could be proud of. Fingers crossed we can keep the positive changes coming into the future!

Old 07-12-2015, 11:36 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,078,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I'm glad your aunt was impressed with the changes, McBain II! Omaha's a very livable city, and the downtown has developed into something any city could be proud of. Fingers crossed we can keep the positive changes coming into the future!
With all the positive press Omaha has got over the last few years, I can't imagine the needle is pointing anywhere but up. I was worried about the impact that Stothert's election would have on the city given her political leanings, but even that hasn't appeared to slow things down much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha