Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2011, 03:57 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Or we could just leave marriage as it is and gay people could choose not to get married if they don't want to. That seems a lot simpler.
What would be simpler is to just allow gay and lesbian couples to get married just as straight couples can get married.

Would you have said in the 1960's that it would be a
'lot simpler' to leave marriage the way it was - and for a mixed race couple to just choose to not get married if they couldn't marry the person they love?

Old 09-25-2011, 04:04 AM

Quote:
A form of marriage that is only available to them? Sounds like a special right to me.

You just aren't quite right, are you?
A form of marriage that is only available to straight couples?
Sounds like a special right to me.

You just aren't quite right, are you?

Old 09-25-2011, 04:08 AM

Quote:
We're the norm....we're not arguing for an exception.

like what? You've acted smugly and pretended you're smarter than me but you've just kind of whined and not really said much.
Same-race marriages are the 'norm' or majority too. Are you against the right of mixed-race couples to get married just because they are not the majority?

He has proven he is a lot smarter than you and has presented cogent logical arguments where you have not.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:11 AM

Quote:
People like me? It's so horrible to have someone that actually has convictions that oppose you? Or that I can actually give a coherent argument of why you guys are wrong?
Your idea of what constitutes a 'coherent argument' is not the 'norm'.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:17 AM

Quote:
How many times do I need to state that I don't think it's a good idea to legislate a new form of marriage to suit a very small minority? It's infringing on the rights of anyone that is currently married, because you our changing the definition of marriage.

From now on I will just link to this post when you or anyone else accuses me of not having a reason other than religion.
How is allowing same-sex marriage 'infringing on the rights of anyone who is currently married'? It doesn't change the 'definition' of their marriage. Nothing changes. They are still married. They still have exactly the same rights, benefits and protections.

I think what you really mean is that you think the idea of two men or two women being married and treated equally to you and your wife is personally repugnant to you.

Too bad. Your personal feelings of repugnance towards gay and lesbian couples is not a 'right'.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Gay people have always been able to get married. Not my problem that they don't like to get married to people of the opposite gender.

No. Gay couples have not been able to get married as straight couples have.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:28 AM

Quote:
I believe it's ok to disagree. Do you? You guys seem intent on beating down anyone that dares to disagree.

True tolerance is not groupthink. Learn to embrace diversity and tolerance, it will help you in life.
Pure irony...

Old 09-25-2011, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Me thinks that not only do you care, you are absolutely obsessed with this. There is no way that someone is "doesn't really care" is going to vomit forth dozens and dozens of posts about something that doesn't and shouldn't affect you in any way in your day to day life.
It's not dozens and dozens of posts, it's hundreds and hundreds, if not thousands. He posts in the Politics and Controversy forum on gay topics all the time.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:39 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,618,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I don't see anyone demanding that you participate in homosexual activity.
But you are trying to tell me how to think and you're trying to change the definition of marriage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Cal, really? Learn to embrace diversity and tolerance? Honestly? Is this a new strategy-----contradict yourself just to make the previous poster look bad? I'm beginning to see a pattern here and I don't know whether to laugh or just scratch my head.
Nope...you've got the right to be wrong. I'm ok with that. It's when you guys become the thought police in the name of diversity that it bothers me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
No. Gay couples have not been able to get married as straight couples have.
Straight people can't marry other people of the other gender, either. It has nothing to do with straight/gay. I was certainly never asked if I was gay when I got my marriage license.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:42 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha