Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 10:42 AM

14 posts, read 36,398 times

Advertisements

I see I'll be learning a new language just to order lunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 01:10 AM

112 posts, read 406,281 times
westminster is a very diverse city. there are whites, vietnamese, and mexicans. being in orange county, it's not too bad of a place. it's a little better than santa ana, anaheim, and garden grove in terms of safety; but it's well below irvine and huntington beach. u should be fine. u can always drive south on magnolia to huntington beach should you need some quality time with other white folks.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:05 AM

Thanks; I'm sure we'll spend the majority of our time in Huntington Beach anyway, as everyone will want to be at the ocean as much as possible.

I am 1/2 Russian and my husband is from Puerto Rico so he will be taken for Mexican 99% of the time. The company we keep will not be contingent on race or nationality but on the quality of the persons themselves. (We're already pretty inclusive, as you can see.)

Old 08-06-2009, 06:22 PM

277 posts, read 627,054 times
I used to live in Westminster, I found the Vietnamese people to be very friendly and all of them I knew spoke enough english to easily be understood.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:16 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,960,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarilas View Post
I see I'll be learning a new language just to order lunch!
Just because you are in Westminster doesn't mean that you have to speak a new language.

I never found it necessary to speak Vietnamese there even though I'm Vietnamese.

I'm Vietnamese and I actually always order in English. If they talk to me in Vietnamese I always answer back in English and they all understand my English fine, even the old folks. I just prefer speaking English, that's all.

I actually get really annoyed when I walk into a Bank of America (in Huntington Beach, not Westminster) and the Vietnamese teller starts talking to me in Vietnamese like he knows me and like we have a special bond or something. It's very annoying. I just speak back in English lol.

I think it's fine for them to do it with really old folks who can't speak English or something, but why the heck would you want to speak Vietnamese to me in a place of business when my English is flawless? It irritates me.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:48 AM

Thanks, Wayneb!

And don't get me wrong, jackie100- I'm EXCITED to learn some of the language. I'm sure most people speak English as well as my Russian relatives do (I'm only first generation American myself), but I like to know how to pronounce things, read the signs, etc. I'll probably butcher the words anyway, but I want to give it a try! ;-)

My husband does the same thing you mention about answering back in English when someone speaks Spanish to him; it drives him absolutely crazy when someone he doesn't even know tries to act like family or to create a bond that doesn't exist! lol

Old 08-07-2009, 02:27 PM

108 posts, read 361,835 times
Sarilas,

What corner of Magnolia and McFadden?

Old 08-07-2009, 02:35 PM

I'm trying to think on how to word it, but the best description I can give is the one west of Saigon Bistro... near where Bishop/Natoma and Magnolia meet. I have no idea if that makes any sense at all...

Old 08-09-2009, 01:33 AM

17 posts, read 40,378 times
Hi Sarilas - I am caucasion, was born in Westminter and lived there for about 30 years in a home that my parents still own (my brother and his Filipino wife and kids live there now). It is near Westminster and Magnolia about 1 or 2 miles from where you speak of.

I know this area very well and could probably write a book about it. The following are a few comments I have based upon my knowledge and experiences.

Culture - Westminster, commonly referred to as Little Siagon, is the Vietnamese capital of the USA, and you are less than one mile from the main epicenter located on Bolsa Avenue. Literally every shopping center around you will be Vietnamese, and the majority of residents are Vietnamese. You will absolutely be immersed in the Vietnamese culture if you live near Bishop and Magnolia. You will need to drive a couple of miles away towards Fountain Valley or Huntington Beach to find American type stores. However, if you are open to shopping at Vietnamese stores you will have unlimited opportunities, many of which are terrific bargains. I still travel down there to get haircuts (under $10 including shampoo and blowdry), clothes dry cleaned ($1.50 any garment, even a suit jacket), and one hour massages for $15.

People - Of course there are exceptions, but my overall experience has been very positive with the Vietnamese people. They are extremely friendly, quiet and respectful neighbors. They also value education, tend to be very hard workers, and are really grateful and proud Americans. Many of the older generation don't speak much English, but the younger generation is very Americanized. Just stay away from the older drivers, because the stereotype is true - they really are bad drivers - LOL

Hope this helps!

Old 08-09-2009, 05:18 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Do you kids have any artistic talent? If so look at OCHSA. (Orange County High School of the Arts) It is not free, but not as pricey as private school. OCHSA kids stay so busy that they do not have a lot of time to get into trouble.

There used to be a lot of home invasions in some parts of Little Saigon area, they were really really nasty. Check on that with your local PD. There are gangs everywhere ((yes even in Irvine), but the vietnamese gangs are known for being particularly nasty.

You will be pretty close to Orange and Santa Ana and to HB all of wich offer different dining options and the opportunity to become immersed in another culture (Hispanic). Good luck.

You may be surprised that you do nto spend all that much time at the beach after a few years. The parking, crowds, preparation=, sand everywehere, eventually gets to be not worth the hassle. You will still got 8-10 times a year, but not every weekend, unless one of hte kids takes up surfing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County