Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:06 AM

106 posts, read 454,420 times

Advertisements

It would seem that low paying jobs at department stores, convienence stores, etc would be just as good if not better. That doesn't make any sense that if that many people hated working there that they would continue to do so. It can't be for the prestige of saying you work there if the locals think Disney is the evil empire....Can anyone offer their opinion on this mystery. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 11:12 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,376,479 times
I have heard the same about working for Disney in Orlando. Find out what positions they are talking about. Not everyone has the same experience.

Depending on the position, yes it does open doors after your tenure there as it is with any large Fortune 500 company.

Find out what positions have the highest turnover, what is the major complaint.

Old 04-02-2007, 01:34 PM

541 posts, read 1,995,867 times
The benefits are good. A lot of people are part time or seasonal (retired, other jobs, etc..) The professional positions pay better and are better hours (M-F 8-5.) Some are hoping to "do their time" and move up in the company-Disney likes hiring from within.

Old 04-02-2007, 03:28 PM

106 posts, read 454,420 times
Do you work at Disney?

Old 04-02-2007, 03:58 PM

541 posts, read 1,995,867 times
Yes, I work there seasonally (a couple of times a month.)

Old 04-02-2007, 04:13 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthatmouse View Post
Do you like it there? Is it your choice to be a seasonal employee or aren't they easy to get into for full time year round work?

Old 04-02-2007, 08:02 PM

73 posts, read 443,720 times
I used to work at Disney and i got payed $6.25 in 2000. And to my knowledge they pay about the same. THE experience was not back because it was a job had after high school. Management can be a little stirct at times.

I remember people who worked there was a large amount of interns keep that place running. Also people who are workaholics working 60-100hrs week. NOt so many high school students. Also ran into people who had put in 5-10yrs service.

I could not imagine working for that pay now. ugh!

Old 04-02-2007, 11:54 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
I suppose that since the wages were so low, those people had to work many hours a week to make a living. They more then likely depended on the overtime pay just to be able to afford a place to live.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:23 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,402,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthatmouse View Post
You aren't that Tiger are you? LOL.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:32 AM

5 posts, read 39,027 times
i was an intern for disney...they called it the disney college program...its a more broad type internship compared to the more advanced professional internship disney offers....it allows any college student to enter but only some could retain credits towards their degree (depending on the type)..most students just do it to get away from school for a semester....The jobs were divided into groups, such as merchandise, operations, and hospitality.....a recruiter desides what group you'll be working upon acceptance, and on your arrival day your ramdomly selected to a certain location and job description....you are also ramdomly selected to an apartment complex that you will be living in during the duration of the internship...vista was the first built and main complex that houses about 2,300 college students per semester....includes everything; cable, internet, fully furnished 2,3, or 4 bedroom apartments with up to 8 people per apartment,..(everyone shares a room with someone), 2 pools, 2 jacuzzis, gym, tennis courts, full size basketball courts, racquet ball, computer labs, car wash, sand volleyball...the majority of the people that usual stay at vista are from american schools all over the country....then theres chattem square and the commons which are much nicer but mainy for the international internship....chattem is mixed at times....rent cost 60-90 dollars aweek and was deducted straight out of pay...pay was 6.40 an hour...u get the worse hours and lowest senority and work a minimum of 40 hours a week.....some jobs are good, some are bad...theres some that suck!! and then theres those who love their jobs...the living experience is what the internship is for though...its a blast, you meet people all over the world that are friends for a limetime, and its a good learning experience none the less...but thats why disney continues to pull people in....they bring these college students in every semester and get at least 100 of them to stay because they like their jobs and the benefits (which is great, free admission to any park, and much more then you think and even gets you discounts everywhere you go outside of disney) and disney promises oppurtunity to anyone....so there are many people who dont like their jobs but continue everyday in hope for a promotion....then theres people who never really made it anywhere...they come to work with these power trips and you better listen to me attitudes and all this other nonsense, and feel like they can do it just because its disney....and can no one say anything cuz everyone in disney is either happy and smily(because its the most magical place on earth) or their canned...."remember, whenever your not backstage your onstage and you must continue to smile" i heard that like 5 times a week and from people who freak out backstage because no one made a new pot of coffee....i told him this "im sorry pal...you know, we all drink alot of coffee around here just to keep US from freakin out in this HELL HOLE".....he looked at me like i just murdered someone...like he couldn't believe i actually said that....i looked at him like he already murdered someone...."oh shut up, your the one freaking out because no one made a new pot of coffee, not me...so what, its disney, get over it"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando