Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 09:49 PM

923 posts, read 3,513,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Compared to flipping burgers or working at Taco Bell, yes, Disney will be more pleasant. But I am telling you that Disney is a nightmare employer... if you wnat to go work for it, knock thyself out. Don't come crying later and say "Nobody told me Disney was an awful employer. I had no clue. My life sucks now. Please send me money for my airplane ticket back home".

The "bazillion jobs available in Orlando" reported here is a joke... these jobs are 99.9% in the low-paying industries related to tourism and hospitality (house keeping, hotel front desk, food services, bell boy, gas station, Disney jobs that don't pay crap, park ride operator, etc). These jobs pay less than $10.00/h (OMG, you'd be lucky to get $10/h working one of those jobs). High paying jobs are almost impossible to get in Orlando. The competition is very high and employer usually lower the offered wage because of the sheer # of applicants who apply.

But overall, Disney is a horrible employer. I worked with people who work for Disney and after almost 300 clients, I am yet to meet 1 that is happy working for Disney. Disney sucks as an employer... man, ask any locals.

People who work for Disney have no other job choice, that is why they are there. They have no skills to work in other industries or they are here from Thailand or Pakistan working on a Q visa. Other Disney workers are working there with fake Social Security #s and are here illegally, so they take whatever Disney management dishes out, including: verbal abuses, low pay, no days off, sick days deducted from pay, no health insurance, not even complimentary park tickets! You work with no benefits, no respect, no future in that company.

And once you are done working for them, you will be "tainted" because local employer avoid hiring Disney workers. They know these workers are only there because they have absolutely no other job opportunity. They are forced to work along with illegal aliens for low wages.

Harsh, but true. Disney is an awful employer. I despise companies like Disney that enslaves people.

You have been warned.
Sounds like "Disney" is giving the "Other Evil Empire" Walmart a run for #1...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 09:16 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
Is the America Gardens Theatre in Epcot? The Theatre is the location of the Flower Power Concerts. We just love the entertainment they have there

Another questions~I know we've discussed the yearly pass for residents before, but can you get a yearly pass for just one of the parks and if so, what is the cost of a pass for just one park? (Considering you're a Fla. resident)

Old 04-21-2007, 09:54 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,213,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Is the America Gardens Theatre in Epcot? The Theatre is the location of the Flower Power Concerts. We just love the entertainment they have there

Another questions~I know we've discussed the yearly pass for residents before, but can you get a yearly pass for just one of the parks and if so, what is the cost of a pass for just one park? (Considering you're a Fla. resident)
Yes, the America Gardens Theatre is in Epcot! I love the concerts there, too! Maybe it's our age? LOL I'm not sure about yearly passes to just one park...go to the disney website, I'm sure it's posted. Disney doesn't give as big a discount to Florida residents as many of the other parks. Also, I get more discount buying through AAA - except for Disney.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:50 PM

YES, we're lucky enough to be baby boomers and to have lived when GOOD music first began.

I went to the Disney website, but can't find the spot to get a season ticket just for Epcot. Maybe they don't do that?

Silver Springs Theme Park seems to have good entertainment often, too and they're very reasonable. It's something like 50 a year for a season pass. We're going to a concert next Friday and we'll get to see Herman's Hermits. In another month, we're going to Iowa to see the Grass Roots AGAIN. I need my Roots fix since I haven't seen them since August when they were in Deadwood.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:01 AM

OK I finally found it and wanted to post it in case anyone else in the Orlando area is interested in a ticket like this. We're interested in the Flower Power Concerts and I was looking for a year round pass for Epcot only. They have a year-round after 4 pass to Epcot for $131.00. A renewal is $120.35. That is a really good deal when you consider all the oldies concerts you can go to.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:10 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,213,496 times
Quote:
YES, we're lucky enough to be baby boomers and to have lived when GOOD music first began.

I went to the Disney website, but can't find the spot to get a season ticket just for Epcot. Maybe they don't do that?

Silver Springs Theme Park seems to have good entertainment often, too and they're very reasonable. It's something like 50 a year for a season pass. We're going to a concert next Friday and we'll get to see Herman's Hermits. In another month, we're going to Iowa to see the Grass Roots AGAIN. I need my Roots fix since I haven't seen them since August when they were in Deadwood.
Oh my gosh.....I was in LOVE with Peter Noone when I was in junior high! We've seen several of the 'old' groups at Epcot...America's Theatre. We saw Herman's Hermits, Davy Jones of the Monkees, and a couple of others...I'm drawing a blank on. It was great fun....but they look so different now! LOL

Old 04-22-2007, 05:56 PM

640 posts, read 3,076,073 times
Me too... Herman's Hermits was my first concert in Jr. High. They had this crazy band open for them.... we never ever heard of at the time... The Who! haha, I"ll never forget how they smashed their instruments... we're like.. ok... what are they doing??? Too funny.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:13 AM

14 posts, read 97,392 times
I have to disagree with some of you, and you should be amazed because if you checked out my website you saw I am against almost EVERYTHING here.. but working at Disney didn't bother me too much. Nirvana-guy I didn't put it on my resume so it wouldn't "taint" me :-)

Here is the scoop on working at Disney.. I worked there several years ago ONLY part time and made $6.35 and hour.

1. You don't make much but I could have worked 100 hours a week if I wanted to.. they don't have any overtime rules (or they didn't then) and you
can work all you want.

2. My managers were great, they were all young and would "pal around" with us a lot.

3. The tourists ("guests" in Disney speak) stink.. they will treat you like crap and Disney is very clear about the fact that you have to smile and take what ever they choose to dish out.

4. If you are new or anywhere near being new at Disney you will work EVERY holiday.. no call ins, no vacation requests. They are so busy on holidays that almost everyone works.

5. People get sucked into Disney because there are days you won't even feel like you are working.. that whole "Disney Magic" crap has some truth to it.. and if it worked on me it could work on anyone because I'm one of the most disgruntled people you could ever meet.

6. You get in the parks for free! I mean come on, park free too!

All in all I would do it again.. after I retire from my REAL job and don't need the small disney checks to live..

Last edited by wdwtrizz; 04-23-2007 at 02:31 AM..

Old 04-23-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
Oh my gosh.....I was in LOVE with Peter Noone when I was in junior high! We've seen several of the 'old' groups at Epcot...America's Theatre. We saw Herman's Hermits, Davy Jones of the Monkees, and a couple of others...I'm drawing a blank on. It was great fun....but they look so different now! LOL
BeenAround~the WHO? Actually, I know exactly the band you're referring to. They're a good band, too.

Pianogal, it's funny you should mention how different they look. We went to a concert once and my husband asked how many of them were the original members and I couldn't tell. When we got home we checked it on the internet and they had the old pics of the band up yet. He totally understood why I had no idea who were still the originals.

Orlando, your post surprised me. You do like something about the city.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:55 AM

14 posts, read 97,392 times
Quote:

Orlando, your post surprised me. You do like something about the city.
Ha, it even surprised me.. actually there are two things I like, and the other one I just figured out last night. I like walking outside and smelling that bread baking at Merita... but I'm standing strong that everything else sucks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando