Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:37 PM

385 posts, read 1,403,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ette9000 View Post
I am seasonal right now and could not pick up a 10 hour shift for a 4 day co worker because it would be overtime for me said management and scheduling.
Management never knows anything about how that stuff works, but scheduling usually knows what they're talking about, so I stand corrected. Sorry.

-Harry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 10:03 PM

117 posts, read 213,815 times
I worked a summer at WDW in 1997. Honestly I enjoyed it. Worked my butt off in food service but enjoyed the perks and had pride in Disney. If I could be seasonal I would. It's tough to take them on as a second job part time because they will not give you preference on scheduling so if you have a M-F 9-5 first job, Disney can easily interfere by making you work till super late into the night on a Sunday (early AM Monday).

Old 03-02-2011, 01:48 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,374,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpedg View Post
It would seem that low paying jobs at department stores, convienence stores, etc would be just as good if not better. That doesn't make any sense that if that many people hated working there that they would continue to do so. It can't be for the prestige of saying you work there if the locals think Disney is the evil empire....Can anyone offer their opinion on this mystery. Thanks.
Ahaha good point

Old 08-23-2011, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,787 times
disney fired pepole all the time they get rid off full time cast member hourly and they replace them with 3 or 4 seasonel cast ,great game plan ,it's salvery going on there for hourly cast ,horrible stuff

Old 08-23-2011, 07:41 PM

32 posts, read 57,488 times
I worked at Disney back in 1996, left in 2000. My starting wage was $5.95 an hour, my ending wage was $10.25 hour. And that my friends was with a college degree. I was single and had to pull a double shift at least once a week to make ends meet. Holidays? I pretty much worked them all. The competition for the higher, professional jobs is incredible. Working for them really does stigmatize you. It was not a springboard into a better job at all for me. I would never go back to work there again.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:17 AM

910 posts, read 2,332,793 times
Disney is full of contract employees that are taken advantage of. Very few are salaried with benefits except for management. A lot of blood sweat and tears make up that "magic"...

Old 08-24-2011, 08:00 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,343,504 times
It seems every and anyone who grew up in Orlando worked in one of the theme parks as their summer or first jobs. Just about all my friends worked summer there or it was their first job. I never thought of the theme parks as a "career". It has always been a teens/college job to make some money on breaks. So no benefits and low pay weren't really a consideration for people like me trying to make spring break money before returning to college. I don't really understand why people get the impression that Disney or any other theme park will lead to a career. The only people I worked with were other teens and students like myself or older folks who just wanted something to keep them busy a day or two a week. It's funny because I saw one of my old managers working the parking booth at one of the waterparks this weekend. I thought to myself he could not have possibly been here this long. Sure enough I asked him how long he's been back and he said 2 months. I guess he got laidoff at his "real job" and came back until he finds something better.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:25 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,949,187 times
Yeah the parks are the perfect PT or summer job. My gf is a teacher and lots of her buddies work there for some mindless work and extra money. Not to mention, I'd love to be able to go to Disney for free while she has all that time off for summer. Another friend of ours moved here from MI a few years back and he needed any job. He went to the stroller rental dept at MK, and within 2 years was promoted to a real job in their risk management dept. Hey, when you wish upon a star right...?

Old 08-24-2011, 10:09 AM

165 posts, read 588,808 times
My niece did an internship there. She got paid I honestly dont know how much. She enjoyed it so much. She stayed in a nice apartment and meet alot of wonderful people.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:01 AM

36 posts, read 90,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyBailey View Post
I keep reading your posts about this and I am sorry this happened to your daughter. I know you keep saying this is not the exception, but the rule, but I did the college program and did not know anyone who was terminated. No one in my building, no one working in my location, none of my friends and none of their coworkers. I can understand the beer can incident if it was an under 21 apartment. It doesn't matter who found it, the rule is no alcohol allowed. My boyfriend from the first program did a second program 2 years later and he didn't know anyone who was terminated either.
I went to the College Program and knew several people who were
kicked out for pretty dumb stuff that wouldn't get you kicked out
of anywhere else. It should be called the Cheap Labor Program,
cause that's all it is. After I graduated college, I put it on my
resume, and NOBODY gave a crap. Selling souvernirs or sweeping
a theme park is not the kind of experience that will help you land
a good job, whether you did it for Disney or not. Employers want
SPECIFIC, RELEVANT experience. And I was a Hospitality graduate.
It still did _nothing_ for my resume; ironically, more detailed jobs
with smaller, unknown employers helped my resume a lot more than
Disney did.

Disney is a horrible company, and their executives can
go to hell when they die, which I hope is soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando