Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 04:41 PM

181 posts, read 687,601 times

Advertisements

My husband and I loved working for Disney, just two days a week. The benefits were terrific. Free passes, discounts, property control. It was great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 09:08 PM

26 posts, read 118,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annemonique View Post
OBVIOUSLY ...you are just a worker that is probably paid to write postive stuff about disney ..YOU are drinking the disney koolaid if you have not heard ANY CAST MEMBER complain ..about pay hours of work or friends that were unceremoniously terminated!!! ....DISNEY terminates young impressionable college kids DAILY...its accusation...suspension...terminated....locks changed and your out in LESS THAN 12 hours....regardless if you have a dime or NOT in your pocket...and considering how much of pay is left over AFTER YOU get your paycheck....from the "DISNEY deductions for rent etc..." you cant even afford a phone call to your parents to come get you!
BASED on the amount of terminations from disney in any random month....I WOULD say its more to do with economy vs. actual "deeds"...and yet DISNEY is willing to TARNISH a college work record because they can HEY...THEY ARE DISNEY...they dont have to answer to anyone...NOT EVEN THE FLORIDA LABOR board!!....ITS amazing that they have gotten away with it ALL THESE YEARS...NOONE seems to think its worth their time or money or EFFORT to contact 48hrs or 20/20 just yet but BOY IF THEY DID....it would BURN the ears right off ole MICKEY MOUSE!!!
I keep reading your posts about this and I am sorry this happened to your daughter. I know you keep saying this is not the exception, but the rule, but I did the college program and did not know anyone who was terminated. No one in my building, no one working in my location, none of my friends and none of their coworkers. I can understand the beer can incident if it was an under 21 apartment. It doesn't matter who found it, the rule is no alcohol allowed. My boyfriend from the first program did a second program 2 years later and he didn't know anyone who was terminated either.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:34 AM

85 posts, read 178,164 times
The money that goes INTO Disney is not limited to park preservation. It is used in many extentions affiliated with the Disney name. Ever stop to think how much it costs to maintain such a place? Beyond paying for employees? There's shipping costs, maintenance, product purchase, food, tools, contractors, technology,creation,fees,licenses, promotions, etc. The list would astound you. It's profits from those tickets (which the cost reflects todays economy) does not line pockets. Their expendatures on a daily basis are mind blowing. Now no doubt just like any other large corporation.. they COULD afford to up the pay for specific groups. But by law they don't have to pay more than minimum wage. You apply, you should know that. I was just there 3 weeks ago for my 6th time and a majority of posts are held by the 18 to 20 something age group. That is not a career age nor a career paying job. Scooping ice cream, sweeping up, wiping tables, or shooting fake hippo's is not meant to be a high paying job. I've been a business owner AND an employee and know both sides of the tracks. Employees see profit & want their share of what they see as fair. They don't see the detailed costs of running a business. There are things involved you cannot imagine & it all costs. And you cannot compare one company to another. They are run differently & have different overall costs no matter how similar the parks are. It's a tough deal for both sides.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Excellent post Coyote. I'll add one more big expense that you missed: Insurance. Can you imagine what Disney pays for that?

Old 04-06-2010, 10:04 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhilsPhan View Post
The money that goes INTO Disney is not limited to park preservation. It is used in many extentions affiliated with the Disney name. Ever stop to think how much it costs to maintain such a place? Beyond paying for employees? There's shipping costs, maintenance, product purchase, food, tools, contractors, technology,creation,fees,licenses, promotions, etc. The list would astound you. It's profits from those tickets (which the cost reflects todays economy) does not line pockets. Their expendatures on a daily basis are mind blowing. Now no doubt just like any other large corporation.. they COULD afford to up the pay for specific groups. But by law they don't have to pay more than minimum wage. You apply, you should know that. I was just there 3 weeks ago for my 6th time and a majority of posts are held by the 18 to 20 something age group. That is not a career age nor a career paying job. Scooping ice cream, sweeping up, wiping tables, or shooting fake hippo's is not meant to be a high paying job. I've been a business owner AND an employee and know both sides of the tracks. Employees see profit & want their share of what they see as fair. They don't see the detailed costs of running a business. There are things involved you cannot imagine & it all costs. And you cannot compare one company to another. They are run differently & have different overall costs no matter how similar the parks are. It's a tough deal for both sides.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Excellent post Coyote. I'll add one more big expense that you missed: Insurance. Can you imagine what Disney pays for that?
For the most part, Disney self-insures.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:25 PM

58 posts, read 182,321 times
There are worst companies to work for hourly pay than Disney. Publix treats corporate hourly workers poorly.
I know a lot of them.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,094 times
ahh you people are scaring me!!! im 18 and i wanna go work this summer at disney, i see it as a great opportunity to meet people from all over the world and a chance to get a lot of work experience.

is it really that bad?? SOMEONE WHO HAS WORKED AT DISNEY AS A TEEN OR YOUNG ADULT PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR OPINION. where you a waitor? did you clean? HELPPP

Old 09-29-2010, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,094 times
finally something positive!! should i do the disney summer program???

i dont have to be a maid do i?? i thought it was just working at the park.. cleaning bathrooms.. waitressing, etc?? HELPP

Old 09-29-2010, 10:30 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,513,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsana View Post
finally something positive!! should i do the disney summer program???

i dont have to be a maid do i?? i thought it was just working at the park.. cleaning bathrooms.. waitressing, etc?? HELPP
You can apply to whatever field you'd like to work in. If you don't want to be a maid, don't apply to be a housekeeper.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:06 AM

570 posts, read 1,154,029 times
SMH at people complaining about low hourly wage positions, it doesn't matter if you work somewhere for 8 years, it's entry level position. Is the burger gonna taste better because somebody at BK has been flipping it for 8 years? Or do the shopping carts at Publix have a smoother ride because it's handlers have been there for many years?

And since when is 40 hours a week a lot of work? People with that less work more pay mentality will always fail at life no matter what they do. Disney is just utilizing their employees to the fullest, while maximizing profit. Kudos to them.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:35 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,056,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsana View Post
ahh you people are scaring me!!! im 18 and i wanna go work this summer at disney, i see it as a great opportunity to meet people from all over the world and a chance to get a lot of work experience.

is it really that bad?? SOMEONE WHO HAS WORKED AT DISNEY AS A TEEN OR YOUNG ADULT PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR OPINION. where you a waitor? did you clean? HELPPP
Woah, hold on there...don't panic. There is something you need to understand about the internet and forums like this. Many people seek out these forums for one of two reasons: 1) to research an area, or 2) to complain. I came for the first reason. Very few seek out forums to tell the world how great everything is going or about how much they like a place. I read loads of posts here saying how Orlando is a terrible place to live, don't move here, etc. However, I moved here 2 years ago from Atlanta and I love it here. I stay around now to counter the negative posts that happen here from the unhappy people. There are loads of people that love working for Disney, and I have read posts on this forum from people that liked their experience there. Our waiter at Boma a few months ago told us he worked there for 18 years and loved his job. Likewise, there are loads of people that hate it as well. It's really not much different than anything else. Just look up reviews for a product on Amazon, or for a hotel on Trip Advisor. No matter how amazing the product or place is, or how many 5-star reviews it has, there are always a bunch of 1-star reviews saying how horrible it is. I would not worry about your decision to work for Disney...just make the best of it. You are young and will probably enjoy the experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando