Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 11:13 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times

Advertisements

fake hippo's is not meant to be a high paying job. I've been a business owner AND an employee and know both sides of the tracks. Employees see profit & want their share of what they see as fair. They don't see the detailed costs of running a business

Old 04-10-2007, 10:12 AM

341 posts, read 1,487,102 times
Because before I was a business owner I was one of the whiney complainers too. Now I know better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 10:27 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,832,188 times
Thumbs down Down with Disney. People that work for them are desperate souls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmCutter View Post
I know Disney is not the only corporation in the world that pays people crap, but I think it's ironic that it's called "The Happiest Place on Earth" when clearly it's not. And in my experience, paying people less to work there hasn't made things any cheaper to buy. The last time I checked, everything Disney is expensive, from T-shirts to mugs. You have to have at least $300 to be able to go to Disneyland with a family. When I was a kid, we used to go all the time. I loved it. Now it's like $12 for parking, $60 to get in (per person) and $10 for a burger and fries. So you tell me, how has paying their workers $9/hour with no benefits made things cheaper? Disney is known all over the world, has parks here in the U.S. and in Europe. They practically own ABC. Would it really kill them to pay people living wages with benefits?
No, it would not, but Disney pays their upper management SOOOOO much bloody money, that is they were to raise everyone's wage by $1 extra per hour, then they would not make THAT much profit and their shareholders would be upset.

We actually have a client, a guy in upper management and he and his boyfriend said that working for Disney is terrible unless you hit upper management and that is VERY very very very very hard to do. This guy is loaded, he lives out in WP in a freaking HUGE mansion and drives two convertibles; a Porche and a Jaguar (I could see him leave from my office up here).

To get to Disney's upper management, you have to either have someone from the inside to "pull you in" or have a degree from an Ivey League school (which means you are ALREADY loaded). So basically, no one who works for Disney for years, never missing a workday, and getting a Master Degree from UCF would have a hint of a chance of getting into upper management.

My beef with Disney (besides the wages) is how BADLY they treat their employees (specially the visa ones - these people are treated like animals). I also dislike them fighting work compensation claims for people that get hurt doing jobs that Disney KNOWS should have a safety belt on and Disney won't provide and stuff like that.

I truly despise Disney, that "evil empire of fake happiness". Yes, some other corps do it too, but they don't market themselves as "the happiest place on earth". Disney should be SUED for making such outrageous claims about their working conditions!!

Old 04-10-2007, 09:34 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times
I used to work for a company that managed the mental health benefits for Disney employees, they had a higher occurence of mental illness then any other population then we managed.
The theory was that the low paying jobs attracted a certain type of person.
The most screwed up stories always came from the Disney population. They have fabulous benefits, not as good as Federal employees but better then State.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:41 PM

Did you also do rape counseling, because people who live in the Disney apts in Lake Buena Vista get raped all the time and I am sure they'd need help after that.

Disney is a highly messed up company, I am serous. You have to be very desperate to get a job there... REALLY DESPERATE!

Old 04-11-2007, 06:52 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,444,374 times
Wow, that should discourage anyone from posting that they work for Disney. I would never say that anyone who is looking for a job to do an honest's days work is desperate or put them down. I believe that anyone who is willing to go out and work to support themselves deserves a lot of credit. There are a lot of people who don't do that.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:05 AM

Red face My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Wow, that should discourage anyone from posting that they work for Disney. I would never say that anyone who is looking for a job to do an honest's days work is desperate or put them down. I believe that anyone who is willing to go out and work to support themselves deserves a lot of credit. There are a lot of people who don't do that.
Well, that is true. I rather people work honestly than rob people at 7-11. I say that about being desperate getting a job at Disney because there ARE other jobs in Orlando that pay just as much (or more - like telemarketing jobs) and people should not have to work for Disney. People do not realize they will be treated poorly and get paid nothing. Then the "magic" is gone from their life and their dream of working for Disney is suddently shattered. Or worse... if they get hurt, then they are even more shattered.

I am sorry if I offended anyone who wants to or works for Disney. I don't mean to offend the worker. I just despise Disney (the employer) and it's paying practices and their work comp fights against people who were hurt on the job.

The park is actuallt fun for kids, it's just the DISNEY CORPORATION that sucks.

Last edited by Nirvana-Guy; 04-12-2007 at 09:19 AM..

Old 04-13-2007, 12:26 AM

140 posts, read 531,816 times
I wonder if the practices are the same for the Disneyland parks here in California as they are for the one in Florida. Anyone ever work for the one in California?

Old 04-13-2007, 07:47 AM

Question Not sure.

I have only dealt with local FL Disney workers and I am not sure about Disney CA.

Maybe we need to ask in the CA board and see if we can get some info.

Old 04-15-2007, 02:59 AM

1 posts, read 10,107 times
Default Workin' at the mouse house

Hey everybody, I work at a non-diz store, but am still considered a cast member. We are treated like crap and paid pocket change for the priveledge. It's that simple. No bathroom in the shop, and better not buy food or drink while in costume (uniform)! Seeing employees on a break would ruin the whole trip for a family of four! We also have to hike a half mile to both parking and a break room. Do they want employees or sycophants? Dumb question I guess. I'll leave you with this...If d-police come by and you aren't smiling wide enough, they report you for it. Enjoy! Joe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando