Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:12 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,914,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
Anything small usually gets the "chick" or "gay" connotation. Look at the New Beetle - when it came out, men had cash deposits on them. Now straight men won't touch them. Same with the Mini, Yaris, Miata, etc... it's sad but true. For some reason "men" need to drive large vehicles to prove themselves.
Have you seen the newest Beetle? They gave it a cute-ectomy. Now it's just kinda weird looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 12:25 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,580,993 times
The ultimate 'chick car' of the past 15 years was discontinued recently; say goodbye to the 2011 Toyota Camry Solara.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:47 AM

30,707 posts, read 79,992,934 times
Lots of small cars are not chick cars. Small cars that end up gettig the chick car designation are usually cars that focus on "cute" over performance.

Small not chick cars:
Lotus, Ferrrari, Lamborgini, Jensen Healey, Austin Healey; Triumph; Ford GT; Corvette; Falcon; MGA; Mazda RX 7 (or 8); AMC AMX; Porsche (except maybe the Bauxter); Mustang, Camaro and Challenger are relatively small; I am missing a dozen or so others.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:02 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,407,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Have you seen the newest Beetle? They gave it a cute-ectomy. Now it's just kinda weird looking.
I thought the older new version was weird looking. The lines of the 2012 version looks more like the 60's era Beetles. I think that they have it right now. Then again they are going after the male market now and have gotten rid of the flower holder thing. LOL

Old 04-11-2012, 09:14 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,508,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
The ultimate 'chick car' of the past 15 years was discontinued recently; say goodbye to the 2011 Toyota Camry Solara.

uhhhh yeah.. They haven't made the Solara since '08.. lol.. And that was much more of Boca Raton car...gender neutral..

But, yes.. The 500 is completely a chick car.. Barely bigger than a smart car, but less mileage than most "normal" size compacts that get much MORE mileage without the super short wheelbase dartyness that makes it not fun to drive, and also totally unusable space wise compared to the bigger compacts that also get more mileage while driving better..

Old 04-11-2012, 10:03 AM

16,701 posts, read 17,481,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
uhhhh yeah.. They haven't made the Solara since '08.. lol.. And that was much more of Boca Raton car...gender neutral..

But, yes.. The 500 is completely a chick car.. Barely bigger than a smart car, but less mileage than most "normal" size compacts that get much MORE mileage without the super short wheelbase dartyness that makes it not fun to drive, and also totally unusable space wise compared to the bigger compacts that also get more mileage while driving better..

All I can say is that there are many blokes over here, myself included, who would disagree with you.

I'm not going to try to convert you. Life's too short, unlike me. I'm 6'2" tall and fit in fine.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:12 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,508,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
All I can say is that there are many blokes over here, myself included, who would disagree with you.

I'm not going to try to convert you. Life's too short, unlike me. I'm 6'2" tall and fit in fine.
no conversion needed.. I don't dislike it purely for it's size... It just sucks, the only positive thing I've taken away after driving them is that they are "cute". Maybe on lil European roads... But on american 4-8 lane interstates that lil 500 follows every imperfection in the pavement and gets blown allover the place by 70-75MPH 30- 40 ton big rigs.. and again. worst mileage than much bigger and usable cars... I'm not one to dislike a vehicle just because of size, but the 500 doesn't even have great driving dynamics compared to something like a Mini... Minis, drive fun and spiritedly, have tons of power, but actually feels like a real car on imperfect roads and different environments. The 500 just feels like a cute lil roller skate... Being that after driving it and not finding ANY positive attributes to it besides it "cuteness" and being easy to park for anyone, to me, makes it a "chick car".

Old 04-15-2012, 10:06 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,048,950 times
I was able to drive a 500 over 85 passing trucks and it was stable. Liked the car so much checking of a used 500 lounge with very low miles. Too bad all the lounges were automatics.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:17 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,329,471 times
the first redesign of the beetle had a little holder on the side of the steering wheel for a flower.

with that said the fiat car is for aimed at women.. or effeminate 5'3 men. just look at that j.lo commercial.

cars aimed at men have commercials with manlier things in them. like that kia commercial with adriana lima and stands full of scantily clad women. and rock music

Old 04-15-2012, 12:41 PM

310 posts, read 1,027,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
the first redesign of the beetle had a little holder on the side of the steering wheel for a flower.

with that said the fiat car is for aimed at women.. or effeminate 5'3 men. just look at that j.lo commercial.

cars aimed at men have commercials with manlier things in them. like that kia commercial with adriana lima and stands full of scantily clad women. and rock music

I agree, but what about the Fiat 500 Abarth commercial? Surley it wasn't aimed at women

FIAT 500 Abarth - 2012 Super Bowl Commercial - Seduction - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands