Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:37 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,582,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJay87 View Post
This is the kind of label I'm talking about. What do you say to a well equiped male who still chooses to own a big truck? And if this label is accepted then why is it so awful for someone to label a small cute car a chick car?

I live in the South & thats an on going joke here. Nothing more. It's like short men having a Napoleon complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 02:46 PM

844 posts, read 2,105,860 times
Anything small usually gets the "chick" or "gay" connotation. Look at the New Beetle - when it came out, men had cash deposits on them. Now straight men won't touch them. Same with the Mini, Yaris, Miata, etc... it's sad but true. For some reason "men" need to drive large vehicles to prove themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Fiats are not known for reliability, so I will stay with my American built Japanese makes.
Sorry mate, but this is outdated thinking best left in the 70's. Just about all makes are bullet proof these days.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:51 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,861,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkfist View Post
Just wondering if the Fiat 500 is a chick car.

Not that it really matters what other people think, but hey, I still don't want to be driving a chick car.

I think it looks pretty slick. A little small maybe, but it sure looks sports (especially the abarth)

What do y'all think?
My opinion?

I like the look of the Fiat... especially it's "Europeanness". Plenty of men drive them around here, though Fiats are relatively rare here so far.

Anyway, I'm looking for a new commuter car and test-drove one the other day...but it didn't make me feel all "cultured European", it made me feel like a sardine in a can. That thing is seriously uncomfortable inside. And considering there are several larger small cars that aren't uncomfortable and get better gas mileage, I have to label the 500 as simply "form over function" and not really worth the asking price.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:53 PM

45,571 posts, read 60,866,670 times
My question isn't "is it a chick car" but can it even be called a car?

Old 04-10-2012, 04:01 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,269,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
... can it even be called a car?
Why wouldn't it be?

Old 04-10-2012, 04:03 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,407,095 times
I like the Fiat 500. Prefer to have the Abarth as it looks cool to me. Have seen the price on the Pop decrease to under $13,000 for select models. The Abarth starts at $22,000 or so. I am 5' 6" tall and love small cars. I had been looking into the Mini Cooper but so many people around here have them. Something that appealed to me about the 500 was that the sales numbers were much lower than they had figured. I like having something that is more exclusive anyway. I see no problem in having a car that you like and could care less what other people think.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:19 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,242,418 times
I have no problem with small cars. However the Fiat 500 to me looks like a car that would have been built during WW2, using the least amount of sheet metal possible. It looks like a sheet metal toy car.

I think it is novel looking (a quality I respect) but I just can't ever see myself in one.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:20 PM

45,571 posts, read 60,866,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Why wouldn't it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I have no problem with small cars. However the Fiat 500 to me looks like a car that would have been built during WW2, using the least amount of sheet metal possible. It looks like a sheet metal toy car.

I think it is novel looking (a quality I respect) but I just can't ever see myself in one.

This.^^^^^

Old 04-10-2012, 06:14 PM

774 posts, read 2,606,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawkfist View Post
Just wondering if the Fiat 500 is a chick car.

Not that it really matters what other people think, but hey, I still don't want to be driving a chick car.

I think it looks pretty slick. A little small maybe, but it sure looks sports (especially the abarth)

What do y'all think?
Yes it's A chick car. In fact i'm pretty sure in comes standard with a purse and small yappy dog you can carry around. Add in the fact that it's made by a brand with less that stellar reliability and you have a recipe for laughs at best assuming your sense of humor is actually that good.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:51 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,754,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

True, looks like it should have a giant key on the back and a dozen clowns inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands