Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 08:08 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,138,779 times

Advertisements

PJSinger ~ You reminded me of a big problem I have this year!
Since last year, I learned that the Ocean Spray cranberry jelly-stuff has hig fructose corn syrup in it and I don't do high fructose anything!
I don't care for homemade because I don't like sticks and stems and thingies in it....I need to somehow find a different brand of it....I doubt that will be so easy!
I'm so glad you made me remember that!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 08:12 AM

Most years I cook the turkey and I also cook something else, too. I've done a beautiful standing rib roast a few times and of course the delicious ham other times....I've also done a huge crawdad boil (low country boil, to lots of folks ). I've done roast leg of lamb, too.
The turkey is traditional and I'd not do without!
I have pictures of all of the turkeys that I have made for the last 15 years or so.

Old 08-09-2012, 08:26 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,252,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady123 View Post
I make stuffing with bread,pine nuts or walnuts,raisins,a little parmesean cheese, salt,parsley,an egg or two depending how much I am making and mix it all together and cook it on top of the stove for a few minutes and then finish it off in the oven. Oh, sometimes I put pieces of cooked Italian sausage in it too.
Full recipe, please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I like thighs and wings.

Roosty, do you make cranberry sauce from scratch with fresh berries? It's very easy and super delish! Now you've got me thinking about the big day - Turkey Day! I'm pretty sure I'll be having Thanksgiving Dinner at my house this year. I'll make turkey and bread stuffing from scratch and homemade cranberry sauce and sweet potatoes and veggies and homemade pumpkin and blueberry pies, maybe a pecan pie, too. But I need more people to feed - there are only 4 of us.

One time, to fill more of the chairs at my table for Thanksgiving, I contacted nearby Valparaiso University and arranged for some foreign students to join us. My extra guests that year were two girls from China and a boy from Saudia Arabia. My family is Polish and my sister's husband is German. We had our own little United Nations in my dining room! My centerpiece was a spaghetti squash with flags from each country stuck in it. It was a hoot! That was 6 years ago. What a great memory!

Fun thread, roosty!

Need recipe!!! ........ That was a wonderful thing you did inviting the foreign students for a delicious dinner. You gave them American hospitality and honored their own countries with flags. Charming and very thoughtful! ....... Need cranberry sauce recipe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post
I might try cooking one this year, I'm not sure. I'm skeptical about my cooking skills LOL.

Does the bag give instructions, or does the turkey give instructions?

"Preheat oven to 450..

Lay down on the pan and cover yourself in butter.."
I'll be needing a much bigger butter brush!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
I suppose it is time for me to start working on my pathetic look so that maybe someone will take pity on me and invite me over for Thanksgiving dinner. Otherwise I will probably be stuck eating my usual Thanksgiving dinner...Alaskan Jumbo Red King Crab.
Now you'll have every mouth watering for Alaskan Jumbo Red King Crab!

Old 08-09-2012, 09:07 AM

44,371 posts, read 20,076,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Na'un ... I'm keeping my leg and ain't sharing

I love DRESSING with gizzers, celery, bell peppers and plenty of sage ... Yummmmmmmmmmmm
I, too, chop up the giblets and add them to the bread stuffing. I've never put bell peppers in it. Lots of chopped celery and onion, sauteed first, plus lots of sage and parsley.

I think when rainroosty cooks that huge turkey, he should invite us all down to share it. Roosty, if we promise to bring kegs, will you let us come? Huh? Will ya? Please?

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Most years I cook the turkey and I also cook something else, too. I've done a beautiful standing rib roast a few times and of course the delicious ham other times....I've also done a huge crawdad boil (low country boil, to lots of folks ). I've done roast leg of lamb, too.
The turkey is traditional and I'd not do without!
I have pictures of all of the turkeys that I have made for the last 15 years or so.
Pictures? Okay, start posting, buddy. We want to see them! Who's with me on this?

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
PJSinger ~ You reminded me of a big problem I have this year!
Since last year, I learned that the Ocean Spray cranberry jelly-stuff has hig fructose corn syrup in it and I don't do high fructose anything!
I don't care for homemade because I don't like sticks and stems and thingies in it....I need to somehow find a different brand of it....I doubt that will be so easy!
I'm so glad you made me remember that!
This recipe I found online allows you to control the sweetener. You strain the fresh cranberries after you cook them, so there would be no chunks in the final, jelled product.

How to Make Homemade Jellied Cranberry Sauce

Old 08-09-2012, 10:10 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,252,978 times
Quote:
This recipe I found online allows you to control the sweetener. You strain the fresh cranberries after you cook them, so there would be no chunks in the final, jelled product.

How to Make Homemade Jellied Cranberry Sauce

Using orange juice as part of the liquid sounds delish! I may try this!

Old 08-09-2012, 10:30 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,701,479 times
Quote:
Pictures? Okay, start posting, buddy. We want to see them! Who's with me on this?

Yeah, like PJ said roosty, start posting...we want to see the turkey pics!

Old 08-09-2012, 10:34 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
I suppose it is time for me to start working on my pathetic look so that maybe someone will take pity on me and invite me over for Thanksgiving dinner. Otherwise I will probably be stuck eating my usual Thanksgiving dinner...Alaskan Jumbo Red King Crab.
I'd feed you if you were closer. I usually work all the winter Holidays except New Years. I cook a turkey for us but I love them on the grill. I will marinade it in apple cider breast side down for a couple of hours and then turn it over and marinade another couple of hours. Take a medium sized onion and fill it with cloves. Take an orange and cut slits in it. Put them in the bird instead of stuffing which will make the meat dry. Do an olive oil rub and put whatever spices you like. I use Italian seasoning, Tarragon and paprika. I brown it first uncovered for about an hour or so in the oven. If I grill it I leave it uncovered. I'll make home made turkey pot pies, turkey soup, hot turkey sandwiches etc. with the left overs. I'll cook one a couple of times a year. I should make one for Halloween and call it roasted buzzard.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:50 AM

....I just take pictures of the cooking of the turkey and when it first comes out of the oven....I don't take any fancy pictures of a setting and all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics