Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 10:40 PM

38,967 posts, read 22,971,591 times

Advertisements

Today's Questions:
So speaking of feeling a bit crappy lol, asked my son to send me some things I can’t find here (and was
real specific about brand etc.). Bless his little heart, in order to be able to send me more/higher quantity
he bought generic. In a lot of cases generic is just as good as the name brand - but not always, as I found
out Package finally arrived - yea Saw it wasn’t what I asked for, but tried it anyway. Had an allergic
reaction Wasn’t feeling all that groovy to begin with, but really felt like afterwards (and still not
feeling up to par). The good thing (other than the fact it didn't kill me ) is that it did help me with
‘Today’s Questions’:

When was the last time someone sent you or bought you something - in an attempt to be kind - that
turned out having a less than desirable effect on you? A few months ago, my mom bought me a carton of ice cream that was on sale. She thought I liked this particular flavor (chocolate chip) but I was actually hoping for chocolate chip cookie dough. The store she bought it from had it, too.
(Doesn’t have to be something that made you sick, could be something that maybe just disappointed you)

Did you tell them or just ‘grin and bear it’? I told her but I ate the entire carton anyway---just not in one sitting!

Have you ever tried the 'generic equivalent' of a product and it turned out not to be the 'equivalent' at all? Yes, a "generic" toner cartridge for my printer. I ended up getting the name brand one which I should have done in the first place.

Bonus Questions:
Today's Bonus Questions may not be picture-perfect, but they were relayed to us by our correspondent
in picturesque Central Arizona.

Let's talk about.. or ask about Cameras, for still pictures or videos.

Have you ever been in one, or multiple rare moments where you wished you had a camera (besides the one
on your cell phone) to capture the moment? Select from the list below and include a short description if you
wish.

- Scenery? <--This
- Sunrise/Sunset? <--This
- Something at a sports event?
- A pet doing something crazy?
- A human doing something crazy, like streaking?
- A UFO landing with aliens walking out of it, or another super-natural event?
- Met Big Foot/Sasquatch while out in the woods and had lunch with him?
- A situation that was developing? <--This

Did you end up using the camera on your wireless device (cell phone, tablet, etc.)? No, because my phone doesn't take very good pictures. I would need to upgrade to a more expensive phone.

Enjoy the first weekend of October. Happy Saturday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 11:40 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,081,126 times
‘Today’s Questions’:

When was the last time someone sent you or bought you something - in an attempt to be kind - that
turned out having a less than desirable effect on you?

They brought me lilacs, the only flower I don't like (don't like the smell - smells like cat **** to me). It was someone who should have known. I don't like presents from people who want you to be something you aren't. You know, if you don't wear jewelry, for example, and they buy it for you anyway because they like it.

Did you tell them or just ‘grin and bear it’?

I told them since they apparently missed it the other bazillion times I said I don't like the smell of lilacs.

Have you ever tried the 'generic equivalent' of a product and it turned out not to be the 'equivalent' at all?

Drugs like OTC drugs are fine but some food things, not so much.

Bonus Questions:
Today's Bonus Questions may not be picture-perfect, but they were relayed to us by our correspondent

Have you ever been in one, or multiple rare moments where you wished you had a camera (besides the one on your cell phone) to capture the moment?

Yes, and I always swear I'm going to keep my compact point and shoot in the car, but I never do.

Select from the list below and include a short description if you
wish.

- Scenery?
- Sunrise/Sunset?
- A situation that was developing?

It's usually some wild animal I see while driving around. I take a lot of bird photos and I don't count that I've seen a bird type unless I have a photo to prove it. Once I missed a coyote because I had no camera with me.

On the other hand, I have been out taking bird photos when unusual or other photo opportunities come up. A sheriff drawing his gun on someone while a leashed police dog was in attack mode was one time. I got so excited at the photo op, I forgot to change the setting on my camera. Another time I was taking shore bird photos when the police (different state) put a police boat in the water and started looking in the water for something. Sometimes, when I'm taking bird photos, chipmunks (have you ever seen a chipmunk that wasn't cute?) groundhogs, snakes, lizards, turtles or deer show up. Another time I was taking bird photos when a car accident occured and the fire department and police showed up. And once, I witnessed a marriage proposal (guy got down on his knee and everything) on a dock while taking photos of flying seagulls. I love those unexpected photos.

Did you end up using the camera on your wireless device (cell phone, tablet, etc.)? No

Hope you feel better.

Old 10-04-2014, 12:26 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,816,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoy View Post
Morning, y’all
The kid is a bit under the weather, so before I turn in super early

Sending well wishes your kiddo's way, Joy!

let’s take a peek at . . . .

Today's Questions:
So speaking of feeling a bit crappy lol, asked my son to send me some things I can’t find here (and was real specific about brand etc.). Bless his little heart, in order to be able to send me more/higher quantity he bought generic. In a lot of cases generic is just as good as the name brand - but not always, as I found out Package finally arrived - yea Saw it wasn’t what I asked for, but tried it anyway. Had an allergic reaction Wasn’t feeling all that groovy to begin with, but really felt like afterwards (and still not feeling up to par).
Sending well wishes to you, too, Joy, hope you're feeling much better soon!

The good thing (other than the fact it didn't kill me ) is that it did help me with
‘Today’s Questions’:

When was the last time someone sent you or bought you something - in an attempt to be kind - that turned out having a less than desirable effect on you? (Doesn’t have to be something that made you sick, could be something that maybe just disappointed you)

A dish of ?something? they made and brought over... it may have tasted okay, but I couldn't get past the look of it enough to brave tasting it!

Did you tell them or
just ‘grin and bear it’?
No way would I tell them and insult their generosity because I genuinely appreciated their thoughtfulness and efforts and who knows, the next dish they want to share with me could be awesome!

Have you ever tried the 'generic equivalent' of a product and it turned out not to be the 'equivalent' at all?

Advil store-brand subs, have had allergic reactions to those.

Bonus Questions:
Today's Bonus Questions may not be picture-perfect, but they were relayed to us by our correspondent in picturesque Central Arizona.

Have you ever been in one, or multiple rare moments where you wished you had a camera (besides the one on your cell phone) to capture the moment?

Select from the list below and include a short description if you wish.
- Scenery?
- Sunrise/Sunset?

- None of the above, I used to take bundles of them, but now am one of those that rarely, if ever, takes any kind of photos, thank goodness we have two in the family that do take excellent photos for us.

Did you end up using the camera on your wireless device (cell phone, tablet, etc.)?

Today in History:

1883 - Orient Express' 1st run, linking Turkey to Europe by rail
1949 - United Nations' permanent New York City headquarters is dedicated
1977 - Pier 39 opens in San Francisco
1984 - U.S. government closes down due to budget problems
2010 - Scientists working near Kokoda, Papua New Guinea uncover world's oldest known high altitude human
settlement, estimated to be 49,000 years old
2012 - The FBI claim to have completed its investigation into the terrorist attack on the U.S. Consulate in
Libya in one day

Quote of the Day:

On that note, have a great weekend and
Thanks Joy!

Old 10-04-2014, 01:11 AM
bjh

60,147 posts, read 30,458,483 times
Today's Questions:
turned out having a less than desirable effect on you? Must be years ago, because i don't remember what it was.

Exchanged.

Most store brands are every bit as good as name brands. A few are sub par, and when that happens, lesson learned: name brand after that.

Bonus Questions:

Have you ever been in one, or multiple rare moments where you wished you had a camera (besides the one
on your cell phone) to capture the moment? Many times.

Select from the list below and include a short description if you
wish.

- Scenery?
- Sunrise/Sunset?

All of the above, except UFO and Bigfoot!

Did you end up using the camera on your wireless device (cell phone, tablet, etc.)?
No.

Quote of the Day:

I can see that. But I'm exhausted from a day of hard work. G'nite! Zzzzzz

Old 10-04-2014, 01:47 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,263,948 times
turned out having a less than desirable effect on you? Maybe there's been times since but the last I can think of is about 8 or so years ago when an old boyfriend gave me a t-shirt for christmas that had writing on that I didn't really want to be seen wearing.
(Doesn’t have to be something that made you sick, could be something that maybe just disappointed you)

Did you tell them or just ‘grin and bear it’? I said thanks and put it away and never wore it

Probably but can't think of examples now

Bonus Questions:

on your cell phone) to capture the moment? Select from the list below and include a short description if you
wish.

- Scenery? Yesterday evening there were some lovely autumn colours down by the lake side that I wanted to take a picture of
- Sunrise/Sunset?
- A pet doing something crazy? Happens all the time. She always stops the moment I find my camera
- A human doing something crazy, like streaking? Another one that happens all the time, my crazy child doing crazy things

Did you end up using the camera on your wireless device (cell phone, tablet, etc.)? Sometimes I do but not usually as I have an old phone with a crappy camera and no other devices

Old 10-04-2014, 05:13 AM

36,454 posts, read 16,059,117 times
Today's Questions:
So speaking of feeling a bit crappy lol, asked my son to send me some things I can’t find here (and was
real specific about brand etc.). Bless his little heart, in order to be able to send me more/higher quantity
he bought generic. In a lot of cases generic is just as good as the name brand - but not always, as I found
out Package finally arrived - yea Saw it wasn’t what I asked for, but tried it anyway. Had an allergic
reaction Wasn’t feeling all that groovy to begin with, but really felt like afterwards (and still not
feeling up to par). The good thing (other than the fact it didn't kill me ) is that it did help me with
‘Today’s Questions’:

last Xmas, a bottle of some disgusting wine

Mostly with food, not medicine so much.

Bonus Questions:

wish.

- Scenery?
- Sunrise/Sunset?

Did you end up using the camera on your wireless device (cell phone, tablet, etc.)? My cell phone doesn't take good pics

Feel better soon JJJJOOOOYYYY

Old 10-04-2014, 05:52 AM

126,320 posts, read 19,105,754 times

Have you ever tried the 'generic equivalent' of a product and it turned out not to be the 'equivalent' at all?..............only food items

Bonus Questions:

wish.

- Scenery?
- Sunrise/Sunset?

Did you end up using the camera on your wireless device (cell phone, tablet, etc.)?...........did not have a cell phone than

Thank you Joy and a good weekend to you all

Old 10-04-2014, 07:19 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,807,630 times
[quote=JustJoy;36739821]Morning, y’all
The kid is a bit under the weather, so before I turn in super early
let’s take a peek at . . . .

Today's Questions:
‘Today’s Questions’:

My ex would attempt to buy me clothes for Christmas, they never fit right and were just downright ugly

No I never told him, just grinned and said thank you

Yes there are many medicines especially where generic just won't do

Bonus Questions:

wish.

- Scenery?
- Sunrise/Sunset?

No it takes terrible pictures so what's the point

Today in History:

1883 - Orient Express' 1st run, linking Turkey to Europe by rail
1949 - United Nations' permanent New York City headquarters is dedicated
1977 - Pier 39 opens in San Francisco
1984 - U.S. government closes down due to budget problems
2010 - Scientists working near Kokoda, Papua New Guinea uncover world's oldest known high altitude human
settlement, estimated to be 49,000 years old
2012 - The FBI claim to have completed its investigation into the terrorist attack on the U.S. Consulate in
Libya in one day

Quote of the Day:

On that note, have a great weekend and

Thanks Joy!

Old 10-04-2014, 08:32 AM

4,043 posts, read 2,913,696 times
Today's Questions:

When was the last time someone sent you or bought you something - in an attempt to be kind - that turned out having a less than desirable effect on you? Can't think of anything.

Have you ever tried the 'generic equivalent' of a product and it turned out not to be the 'equivalent' at all? Cleaning products seemed to be watered down.

Have you ever been in one, or multiple rare moments where you wished you had a camera (besides the one on your cell phone) to capture the moment? Select from the list below and include a short description if you wish. "Yes" to all the ones listed. I sometimes think quickly enough to use my phone and sometimes not.

Feel better JJ and happy Saturday all.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:20 AM

24,528 posts, read 26,071,732 times
‘Today’s Questions’:

It's been a few years ago.

I did the ‘grin and bear it’ thing.

We have done that with mixed results.

Bonus Questions:

wish.

- Scenery?
- Sunrise/Sunset?
Yes to all except the UFO and Big Foot questions.

No

Hope you are feeling better the morning JJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics