Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2018, 03:03 PM

24,784 posts, read 28,669,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
LOL. I hoard toilet paper and keep a goodly supply in my basement. About eighteen months ago I found some Charmin on sale and took it to the basement, setting it beside the older packages. I noticed the new packages were shorter than the old ones. They had made the width of the strips narrower but kept the same number of sheet on a roll, leaving the diameter the same. About the same time Cottonelle made their rolls with fewer sheets but kept the same width and their rolls were smaller in diameter

About a month ago I found a really nice pair of well tailored, women's slacks in a thrift store made with a tightly woven polyester gabardine fabric. There were double pleats in the front and elastic in the back allowing the slacks to fit loosely around the abdomen and hips and the pockets were a full 10 inches deep. They were probably 20 years old as it is almost impossible to find women's slacks made like this today. Today they are made to fit tightly around the waist and abdomen (men's slacks, too) except for slacks (and jeans) with a full elastic waist. I haven't seen a tightly woven gabardine in years and pockets are about 6 inches deep.
Those are the VFW Bingo Slacks... for Tuesday afternoon Bingo.. Comfortable and ready for the Early Bird Menu .. Remember the men's slacks with the adjustable waist band inside behind the belt loops..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 06:47 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,683,628 times
Thrifty's ice cream cone .10

Old 08-16-2018, 01:59 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,433,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Those are the VFW Bingo Slacks... for Tuesday afternoon Bingo.. Comfortable and ready for the Early Bird Menu .. Remember the men's slacks with the adjustable waist band inside behind the belt loops..

LOL. Most of the "bingo ladies" I know today wear knits with elastic waistbands.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,369,812 times
I remember Saturday night sitcoms on CBS: MTM, Bob Newhart, was there another?

Old 08-16-2018, 07:03 PM

24,784 posts, read 28,669,105 times
I'm so old I remember

are sitcom shows...
Sid Cesar
I Love Lucie
Burns & Allen
Jack Benny
Uncle Milton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kuG8VNSzH8

Old 08-16-2018, 07:47 PM

33,066 posts, read 36,727,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
I'm so old I remember when our neighbor ̶̶ a milkman ̶̶ was given a brand new truck by his dairy to replace his horse-drawn cart. He permanently parked the cart in front of his house, and we had great fun pretending that it was a stagecoach. Don't know what became of the horse, although we only lived a few miles away from the Chicago stockyards.

I also remember when I became a milkman. We had three shifts: 4:00, 4:15, and 4:30 in the morning. If you caught the last shift the ice was dirty from the rust on the bottom of the ice machine, and you had to wipe every bottle before delivery. Nothing beat an ice cold bottle of chocolate milk on a hot day, though. (OK, maybe you beer drinkers would object.) My customers preferred fruit punch, which was sold at a very fair price of 35¢ per gallon.

When we finally received refrigerated trucks it took awhile to become accustomed to the long, electric cord that plugged into a receptacle at night. We would often drive down the street dragging this pigtail behind, and sometimes even the receptacle.
I really liked our milkman. Well, both of them. I only saw him about twice a year when I woke up early. Grandma was usually the first one up.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:43 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,993,951 times
I'm so old I remember..........
when Civil Defense radio stations were marked on radio dials.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:50 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,947,959 times

When there were three canisters on the kitchen counter marked in big bold decorative letters , Grease, Flour, & Sugar.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:14 PM

643 posts, read 333,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
when Civil Defense radio stations were marked on radio dials.
I recall them mentioning " Conorad" when informing us of those stations.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:31 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,433,345 times
I remember the "Metrecal For Lunch Bunch". Metrecal was the original liquid meal substitute. It started out as a high protein, high energy, condensed liquid nutritional supplement for elderly and hospitalized patients, like Ensure but evolved to a meal replacement for dieters. It was the forerunner of Slim Fast and other liquid meal replacement supplements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ4jMiY9hTA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics