Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2018, 01:04 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,392,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
But there were slide rules.

And girdles

And Machine vended cigarettes were 25 cents a pack, chocolate bars 5 cents, soda pop 5 cents, glass of draught beer 25 cents.
Thanks for the correction. Where did you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2018, 03:11 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,535,428 times
I'm so old I remember...

When a 1/2 gallon of ice cream had 64 ounces... not 57.4 ounces as they have today.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:21 AM

24,482 posts, read 26,021,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Thanks for the correction. Where did you live?
Rural OH.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:07 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
I'm so old, my bones ache

Can't go through over 700 pages of posts, so if some of these have been mentioned, just be old and think you are hearing them for the first time, since you forgot.

I remember banks only open Monday to Friday, 9am to 3pm. No bank machines. If you didn't get to the bank on a Friday before it closed for some cash for the weekend, you were out of luck. Unless your local supermarket took your cheques.

I remember when TV in our area only had 2 channels, but if you had an antenna, you could get one more. A shared cross-border US / Canada channel, KVOS. They had cartoons we didn't have on our Canadian stations.

I remember the corner stores had big glass cases filled with candies and chocolate bars. You didn't pick up your own, the stores owner would get your choice. Many of my local ones were in old buildings with old glass and wood doors that had a bell that would clang as you entered and left. Cold pop was kept in water filled coolers with only glass bottles. 25 cents would get me a bag of chips, a bottle of pop, with a couple of cents left for 2 for 1 candies, like marshmallow strawberries or bananas. In store made grab bags were always great...except if you got one that too many jawbreakers.

I remember old time department stores with a men's haberdashery section, and people understood what haberdashery meant
You also got dressed up to go downtown. My mother with white gloves, and a nice dress and coat. Me in my dress shirt, pants and shiny shoes. Same with any type of travel, airplanes, trains etc.

I remember the shock ( yes in Canada ) when Kennedy was shot. My mother said she was grocery shopping at the time. An announcement came over the PA system. People just left she said to go home. Many just leaving their groceries.
Seems odd to me now. I don't think our world can be shocked like this anymore. In that we've lost something.

I remember when we got our new flag. Trotted out of class to the flag pole outside. Sang God Save the Queen and then O Canada as the old flag came down, and the new one went up.

I remember when seeing cars from the 1930's and 40's wasn't uncommon on the streets. Now they get stares.

Phone booths were everywhere. 10 cents a call, or free if you could convince the operator that you lost your dime to call home

I remember the only way to get the weather outside of your area, was to check the newspaper. If the newspaper didn't have the place you wanted to know, you would call the weather office, where a real person would go and find out for you.

I remember using punch cards for computers.

I remember corporal punishment in schools.

I remember seeing Queen Elizabeth in person when she was in her forties. Radiant in full diamond regalia. Magical for a kid who saw here image in class everyday and on his pennies etc.

Old 08-11-2018, 03:58 PM

643 posts, read 330,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
We sat by the radio listening to Hopalong Cassidy, Zorrow, The Lone Ranger

We got a TV in 1963. Black and white and you had to turn the dial on the TV to change channels. We only had 2 channels.

Bonanza, The Saint, Ivanhoe, The Man from Uncle, Gunsmoke, Ed Sullivan, Jack Benny, I Love Lucy, The Loretta Young Show, The Disney Hour, My 3 Sons, Leave it to Beaver, Tennessee Tuxedo, Bullwinkle, Woody Woodpecker, Mr. Magoo, Bugs Bunny, Popcorn Playhouse, Mickey Mouse Club, Mr. Rogers, Get Smart (the cone of silence)

For Canadians: Razzle Dazzle, Don Messer Jubilee, Chez Helen, The Friendly Giant, Tommy Banks, The Tommy Hunter Show

There were no calculators. You needed to memorize your multiplication"tables" and master long division.

Point instead of dot.

There was no such thing as pantyhose just stockings and garters.

There was no such thing as maxipads or tampons just Kotex and the sling (garter).

Machine vended cigarettes were 35 cents a pack, chocolate bars 10 cents, soda pop 10 cents, glass of draught beer 10 cents
( last paragraph)....I never smoked but despite being a minor I paid 10 cents for draft beer( tap beer we called it) .
10 cents also for soda pop.

25 cents was for bottled beer.

We never had a TV while in high school, but when I graduated and got a job (1963) I bought a TV for the farmhouse.

Black and White Philco .

It lasted forever but we only got 1 channel because, despite an entana, we were in a draw near a river.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:58 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
You forgot under the bed...
That's where the monster lived. I wasn't going down there.

Old 08-11-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I remember mostly women operators.
All of mine were guys.

Last edited by Gerania; 08-11-2018 at 08:39 PM..

Old 08-11-2018, 08:14 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,535,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's where the monster lived. I wasn't going down there.
Frankie the monster lived in my closet … he was to big to fit under my bed.. I slept on a army cot

Old 08-11-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Tin Man View Post
Frankie the monster lived in my closet … he was to big to fit under my bed.. I slept on a army cot
I didn't have a closet. Mom bought a couple of wardrobes. There was still monster space under the bed. I was sure that it was going to grab my ankle.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:23 PM

44,637 posts, read 61,653,458 times
I remember working in a gas station when gas was 12 cents for regular and 15 cents for premium. I had to pump the gas, check the oil, check the battery, wash the windshield, listen to the gripes about how high gas prices were.
Stamps were a penny, airmail 3 cents. For 15 cents I could buy a balsa airplane to fly. Gum drops 1 cent. The list goes on and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics