Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 05:06 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,166,492 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone
We all know what day it is and I am sure there are a few folks out there doing the "tax tango " or the "tax tap dance" today so enough said about that

So drawing upon one of the events in history I will simply ask

Todays question:

Do you like to talk on the phone ?

Extra credit: Whats is the longest phone conversation you remember having?

Today in history:

April 15, 1877 1st telephone installed: Boston-Somerville, Massachusetts
April 15, 1955 Ray Kroc starts McDonald's chain of fast food restaurants in Illinois

Word of the day
:

reticent \RET-ih-suhnt\, adjective:
1. Inclined to keep silent; reserved; uncommunicative.
2. Restrained or reserved in style.
3. Reluctant; unwilling.

Today is:

National Glazed-Spiral Ham Day
it is also
National take a wild guess day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 05:10 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,061,652 times
I have been "dilatory" long enough, no more if, and or buts about it, I have got to answer yesterday's question today.

Charley

Old 04-15-2008, 05:13 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,133,827 times
I don't like to talk on the phone. I become reticent, and the whole phone call seems awkward. Take a wild guess what I'd rather do?? Right! communicate by city-data!
The longest phone conversations I have last about 10 minutes.

Now get those taxes done!!

Old 04-15-2008, 05:14 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,374,497 times
No I'm not a talker so having to sit on the phone for over three hours with someone just about killed me! Can you believe it was an international call! The same person called me on another two hour marathon and I fell asleep during it ... she never missed a vowel!

Old 04-15-2008, 05:34 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,884,195 times
I am reticent about having inane, useless conversations on the phone. My mind keeps going to what I could be doing with this time.

Longest that I remember is years ago a friend was going thru a horrible time in her marriage and we spoke for a hour or more.

Spiral ham,glazed-yum!

Old 04-15-2008, 05:41 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,130,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Good morning everyone
We all know what day it is and I am sure there are a few folks out there doing the "tax tango " or the "tax tap dance" today so enough said about that ...I'm all tapped out on that one...sent my $%&#% check in yesterday

So drawing upon one of the events in history I will simply ask

Todays question:

Do you like to talk on the phone ?...NO...NO...NO...

Extra credit: Whats is the longest phone conversation you remember having? ..2 hours and 20 minutes, initiated by my late best frind down in Miami Lakes

Today in history:

April 15, 1877 1st telephone installed: Boston-Somerville, Massachusetts
April 15, 1955 Ray Kroc starts McDonald's chain of fast food restaurants in Illinois ...wonder how long that conversation lasted???...had my first McFries in 1963 when the first McD opened where I used to live up nawth.

Word of the day
:

reticent \RET-ih-suhnt\, adjective:
1. Inclined to keep silent; reserved; uncommunicative.
2. Restrained or reserved in style.
3. Reluctant; unwilling....kinda sorta like shy?

Today is:

National Glazed-Spiral Ham Day...except for prosciutto I dislike ham in all forms.
it is also
National take a wild guess day
...OK, I'll take a wild guess that Karla turned 22 just a while back, is platinum blonde, 5'-6", 115 lbs, and built like the proverbial Chinese house with the crescent shaped window...

Last edited by RuralCoastalGuy; 04-15-2008 at 05:43 AM.. Reason: Karla, was I even close?????

Old 04-15-2008, 05:50 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,166,492 times
rofl rc guy !!!
thats a pretty wild guess !!!!!

ok I guess I will be the first to say

I love talking on the phone

and when in one of my "lets solve all of the problems of the world" moods lol I can chat for hours.

I think the longest call was when a friend was making a long drive late at night and he called because he wanted to talk to help stay awake I think that was a good 3 hour chat.

Funny thing is I am married to a guy that hates to talk on the phone so guess who answers the phone in our house

Old 04-15-2008, 05:51 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,517,950 times
i HATE the phone!! i used to talk on the phone only to my best freind when i was in high school. now i even get a little wierd when it just rings. my family gets upset cause i "never" call. maybe cause it's uncomfortable to be on the phone with nothing to say--
the longest phone conversation? more than an hour--probably an hour and 20 minutes? to a very good freind from work--we crack up all the time together--it's great. we spend moost of that time laughing so much we cant breath.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:06 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,061,652 times
I'm not a big phone fan. The longest phone call I can remember was my with my youngest son. He commutes 50 miles - one way - in a Chevy Camaro. His first ride home after about a week on the job was in a bad snowstorm. It was an adventure and he wanted me to "stay with him" on the phone to help him through it in case he got lost, stuck, nervous, etc. It was not a fun ride for him - or a fun call for me and it lasted about two and a half hours!

And yes, I'm still getting around to answering yesterday's question.

Charley

Old 04-15-2008, 06:29 AM

5,793 posts, read 13,958,598 times
I don't want to stay on the phone for more than a couple minutes at a time. Long ago I had a job / career that required hours of phone time each day. That kind of killed it for me.

When I was about 18 I remember talking to my girlfriend one night from about 10 p.m. until we both saw the sun come up. That was a once in a lifetime call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics