Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:00 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Bingo! It makes me sick when people view the woman as having the sole responsibility for birth control. It's even more dispicable coming from another woman.
Yeah, but when the woman takes it on her self to be responsible for birth control, then screws it up on purpose or not, then the man should not be punished.

Here's another scenario. A couple is on child support and have talked about the off chance something happens and the woman becomes pregnant, that there will be an abortion. Little Susie gets knocked up, then against the guy's wishes decides she's going to keep the baby. Should he be responsible for that? I sure as hell don't think so. And don't tell me it takes two, we know that, the debate is about higher levels of brain function, what separates us from monkeis.

Everyone's right, I don't have any children because my girlfriend and I have both been responsible. It doesn't mean I don't have a right to post my opinion about others and their failed attempts at parenting.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:42 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
This is a little OT, but contains to CS. Is there a time limit on getting "BACK" child support? My Ex still owes the kids and I back support amount of $9000, but has moved out of state.
good luck on that one, messing between two different states can be a real pain in the rear end, my mother knows that all too well, she lives in PA and the deciding state for how much cs she gets is ohio

just last year they mailed my mother some forms to fill out about my 18 year old brother because he was still in high school so still entitled to child support, my mother filled them out, copied them, sent one to the ohio dept and one to the pennsylvania dept, 3 months later the ohio dept claimed they never received the mailing and emancipated my brother so he no longer received his part of the child support, after 6 months of fighting it, and even getting the pennsylvania dept involved with the proof that they also have the forms she filled out, ohio remained douches and refused to reinstate the child support for him

Old 08-19-2010, 11:17 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Yeah, but when the woman takes it on her self to be responsible for birth control, then screws it up on purpose or not, then the man should not be punished.

Here's another scenario. A couple is on child support and have talked about the off chance something happens and the woman becomes pregnant, that there will be an abortion. Little Susie gets knocked up, then against the guy's wishes decides she's going to keep the baby. Should he be responsible for that? I sure as hell don't think so. And don't tell me it takes two, we know that, the debate is about higher levels of brain function, what separates us from monkeis.

Everyone's right, I don't have any children because my girlfriend and I have both been responsible. It doesn't mean I don't have a right to post my opinion about others and their failed attempts at parenting.
If a man doesn't want children, he should take control of the birth control, not rely on someone else. Same goes for women. The 'abortion agreement" is intellectually shortsighted because many people change their minds once there is an actual pregnancy. No man should rely on a woman to prevent pregnancy if a man doesn't want to have children. The same goes for women too. No woman should rely on a man using condoms if a woman doesn't want to have children.

Even though you and your girlfriend have been responsible, you could still end up with a pregnancy. You need to seriously accept that if you are having sex. I sure hope you're not hoping your girlfriend will have an abortion if birth control fails. You wouldn't be very responsible if you were.

Entering into an agreement that relies on another person using birth control isn't a reason to not pay child support. If a person feels strongly about not having children and not paying child support, that person shouldn't have sex at all ---- because birth control isn't a 100% guarantee. The only 100% guarantee is not having sex.

Every person is equally responsible about birth control. Each sex partner should be using their own form of birth control based on their own decision about children.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:38 AM

23 posts, read 34,854 times
[quote=Hopes;15537636]Depends on the state and how long ago. Some states are really cracking down on dead beat parents. It's likely this occurred prior to crack downs. Perhaps your father didn't try to impose harsh penalties on her. I suspect that's the case since he forgave her debt. He didn't have to do that.

No I know he didnt have to he soley did because im 20 and the child support that my mom was court ordered to pay for my 3 brothers was going to me instead of them since i was the first owed or whatever. My brothers fathers have taken it to court and shes only gotten jail time for it. Thats why i say its really un realistic that that will happen when hes only backed 5 weeks. If he was backed more i could see that happening in no time.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:

If my boyfriend ever said this to me id kill him. You dont have children because youve been responsible. Being responsible has nothing to do with getting pregnant im 35 weeks pregnant and we ALLWAYS used condoms. Nothing works 100% and i guess youll have to learn that the hard way. It disgusts me that you dont think a father should take care of his own child.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccaaa View Post
If my boyfriend ever said this to me id kill him. You dont have children because youve been responsible. Being responsible has nothing to do with getting pregnant im 35 weeks pregnant and we ALLWAYS used condoms. Nothing works 100% and i guess youll have to learn that the hard way. It disgusts me that you dont think a father should take care of his own child.
I never said a father shouldn't take care of his own child. However, it does become a problem when the father is given no choice in the matter (and no, the simple act of having sex is NOT the choice to have a kid. Once again we have evolved beyond monkeyism). I'm all for having kids, when it is the decision of BOTH parents.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:12 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
(and no, the simple act of having sex is NOT the choice to have a kid. Once again we have evolved beyond monkeyism)
Actually, it is. Because we are not monkeys (as you have pointed out several times) we understand the risk involved in having sex. One of those risks is pregancy. If you don't want to accept the risk then you have two choices - abstain from intercourse or actively participate in birth control that YOU have control over, understanding that if that fails, you will be 50% responsible for the result. It's not that hard to understand because, you know, we have evolved past "monkeyism"....

Last edited by maciesmom; 08-19-2010 at 01:03 PM..

Old 08-19-2010, 12:12 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,616,167 times
In Texas, the guideline for child support of one child is 20% of the income of the non custodial parent.

If a non custodial parent's adjusted gross income is $45,000/yr, then they would be required to pay $9000/yr, which averages out to a little over $173/week.

Of course other factors can be considered, however that is the standard percentage.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I never said a father shouldn't take care of his own child. However, it does become a problem when the father is given no choice in the matter (and no, the simple act of having sex is NOT the choice to have a kid. Once again we have evolved beyond monkeyism). I'm all for having kids, when it is the decision of BOTH parents.

I sure as hell didnt want to get pregnant so should that mean once i give birth its okay for me to leave my child and have the dad take care of it. No not at all.
I honestly wonder how old you are your outlook on this is sad.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccaaa View Post
I sure as hell didnt want to get pregnant so should that mean once i give birth its okay for me to leave my child and have the dad take care of it. No not at all.
I honestly wonder how old you are your outlook on this is sad.
You didn't want to get pregnant, but you sure had the option to terminate it. I'm wondering if that was discussed with your SO or if you just dictated that you'd be keeping it whether he liked it or not.

My favorite are the college students that get knocked up and think they have to ruin their dreams and future in the name of a fetus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting