Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:03 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarcan920 View Post
I have a friend who's daughter has a child for which she is supposed to receive $175/week child support. Father has not paid for 5 weeks, prior to that his checks were bouncing. Realistically, what are her options to stop this (he's spending money on other things so he has it).
She can have his wages garnished. His income tax refund can be redirected to her. He can go to jail. She needs to get back to court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Yes I think $175 a week is far too much for someone to be paying in child support. Child support is meant to be his HALF to support the child. I highly doubt you or anyone else can justify $175 a WEEK to support 1 child.
Child support AT THE STANDARD OF LIVING the child would have had if the parents remained together. If the father is a high earner, he certainly does have to pay more money to support the child so they child can live at a higher standard too.

Clearly, you have no idea what it costs to raise a child. There's more to it than food and clothing. There's childcare, medical expenses, education expenses, extra curricular activities expenses, etc. And it gets way more expensive as the child gets older too.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:36 AM

197 posts, read 549,324 times
Ditto...Great post Hopes

Old 08-18-2010, 06:50 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
She can have his wages garnished. His income tax refund can be redirected to her. He can go to jail. She needs to get back to court.

Child support AT THE STANDARD OF LIVING the child would have had if the parents remained together. If the father is a high earner, he certainly does have to pay more money to support the child so they child can live at a higher standard too.

Clearly, you have no idea what it costs to raise a child. There's more to it than food and clothing. There's childcare, medical expenses, education expenses, extra curricular activities expenses, etc. And it gets way more expensive as the child gets older too.
I'm still waiting for justification for $175/week from ONE parent.

I think if a custodial parent can't prove that kind of money is used toward the child, then CS should be cut. After all, its child support not spousal support.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:57 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
You're going to wait a long time. That ONE parent isn't even posting on this site.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:59 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Yes I think $175 a week is far too much for someone to be paying in child support. Child support is meant to be his HALF to support the child. I highly doubt you or anyone else can justify $175 a WEEK to support 1 child.
First of all, it's not figured by "half". They take the income of both parents, total it, figure out what percentage of the total is each's, and then apply those percentages to a state table of what it has been calculated to cost to raise a child. This method may not apply if at the time of divorce they choose to list specific expenses for the child that may not be in the state tables (parochial school, for example.)

Secondly, you have no children. I can tell that by the ignorance of that remark about the $175.

Say there is one child. What's the difference per month between rent for a one-bedroom apartment and rent for a two-bedroom apartment? That difference is part of the cost of raising a child. Do you think kids eat for free? Do you think kids do not use electricity, water, toilet paper, soap, etc. etc. etc.? Do you have any clue how much children's clothing adds up to, and I'm not talking about shopping at feu-feu designer stores. Children can't get clothes and shoes now and wear them again next year. They grow. They need to go to the dentist and to doctors. They need school supplies.

It is not hard at all for anyone to justify $175 a week for part of the cost of raising a child. As a matter of fact, someone evidently DID justify that number and that's why the person in question is required to pay it.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:

I think if a custodial parent can't prove that kind of money is used toward the child, then CS should be cut. After all, its child support not spousal support.
If there is suspicion that a parent is not using the money to support the child, the other party has the right to request an accounting of expenditures for the child.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post

There's also the non-$$$ issue of how a child feels knowing that his or her father didn't care enough to want to see that he or she was provided for. Not that the custodial parent should be burdening the child with that information, but eventually they do learn what's going on on their own. At 18 my daughter went to live with her dad for weekends and during college breaks because I moved and he was closer to her friends and to her school. It didn't take her long before she remarked how she remembered Daddy always making excuses as to why he couldn't pay child support, but once she lived with him she found out he can afford to go to a restaurant for dinner 4 or 5 times a week and to a bar every night.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:50 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,466 times
Quote:

Any excuse huh?

Old 08-18-2010, 05:45 PM

32 posts, read 48,151 times
amen my husband has to pay for a child that exgirlfriend just had to have. didn't talk about it or discuss having children she wanted a child and my husband was the next sucker in line. (she has a second child by another poor bastard) so two illegitimate two different men also, both children have her last name not the fathers. but, didn't stop her from getting child support lucky we don't have to pay much 200 a month no health insurance either thank goodness. 8 more years 8 more years.
when you make someone pay when they didn't want it or plan for it...it's robbery in my opinion
MB

Old 08-18-2010, 05:54 PM

247 posts, read 688,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryanne72856 View Post
amen my husband has to pay for a child that exgirlfriend just had to have. didn't talk about it or discuss having children she wanted a child and my husband was the next sucker in line. (she has a second child by another poor bastard) so two illegitimate two different men also, both children have her last name not the fathers. but, didn't stop her from getting child support lucky we don't have to pay much 200 a month no health insurance either thank goodness. 8 more years 8 more years.
when you make someone pay when they didn't want it or plan for it...it's robbery in my opinion
MB
Why didn't your husband take the necessary steps to ensure he didn't get her pregnant? It takes two to tango.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting