Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 06:59 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,953,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Well, you're now bringing in all kinds of other issues. Of course everything is interrelated somehow but still.....

While I agree with much of what you've said, every generation has been "easier" in some way that the generation before. And harder. I do feel that we're in a hell of a mess. Are there those who are living at home, with all the "toys" available to them, while mom does their laundry and cooks their meals? Of course there are. I think there always have been and always will be. I think the recent upswing in numbers though is more economically driven. No matter what sand people want to stick their heads in, jobs ARE scarce right now. It is hard to be independent when you can't find a full time job. Unskilled positions rarely hire full time workers, skilled positions require training that typically costs money, and for many of these young people, they started off college at a time when it wasn't outrageous to expect to be able to find a job upon graduation. They are in fact, doing the financially responsible thing by living at home so whatever they make can go to paying off the debt they have incurred getting educated (be it college or trade school). They are trying to start off in the middle of a big mess - not of their own making. Many would prefer to move out and be on their own but unfortunately, are unable to do that right now.
I can't disagree with you here. And all situations are different. You are surely right that every generation has it easier in some ways and harder than others. That's just the way life works. My dislike for the boomers continues unabated. I have some hope that the boomers' kids will try to change the bad things that their parents have done, especially in the working world. I have started to see signs that they don't buy into the philosophy that being a 'real' and 'fulfilled' person means you must sell your soul and every waking moment of your life to your employer, as the boomers have done and forced others to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 07:30 AM

750 posts, read 1,445,997 times
I think my post earlier on page 9 sums it up nicely. Yes it is long but worth the read. Living wage jobs just are not there in big numbers. Even people in their 40's and 50's are moving back home. They can not replace the job they lost. Wages will be going down in the future for most workers.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:55 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Part of the blame has to be pegged on the boomers. Maybe even the boomers parents too. In a ten generation cycle the boomers had to be the worst generation. These people just swallowed the ideological subversion whole. They completely rejected knowledge, restraint and the moral law that society is built on. Instead they built their life on a base of selfish desires and compulsive materialism.

This current generation of self-centered materialists are the scions of a generation that lost its way. Some of us are waking up to the cultural disaster and perhaps more are waking up day after day. My hope is that the next generation cycles away from selfishness and materialism. We need a generation that rejects the gadget mental masturbation, the spiritually bankrupt materialist religion, and jettisons the selfish degenerate morals of the boomer generation along with their lazy offspring.
That's quite a rant there. What's wrong with YOUR generation? If you hope is that the NEXT generation cycles away from selfishness and materialism, what about YOUR generation? What responsibility are YOU going to take?

Lazy offspring of the boomers? Now you're talking about those in their 40s. They work. It's the generation X that are parenting the teens and early twenty crowd now. It's the teens and early twenties crowd that think the world owes them. It's the teens and early twenty crowd that think they should stay home and have all their toys that come off the backs of their parents. You can't blame the boomers on that. We aren't parenting the Y generation.

It's easy to blame, but try taking responsibility for a change. See, that's where YOUR generation is failing; accountability and responsibility for yourselves. There is none in YOUR generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Though I'm a tail-end boomer myself, I'm a bit of a boomer basher. I don't like that generation in general, and I think they have a lot to do with this issue. Generally, this is a generation that has taken everything to excess. They made things very easy for their kids, mainly to feed their own egos, and many went deeply into debt to do it. They've put the country deeply into debt, on a personal and public level. So they've created a very nice environment for their kids at home, often on an unstainable basis. At the same time, the flip side is that they've made the working world an unadulterated living hell. Their philosophy is that you should never be done working, should be available by remote communication 24/7, etc. It gets worse and worse every year, and the boomers have been the driving force in this nasty trend. Who can blame their kids for not wanting to fully engage in the hellish outside world their parents have created, and choosing to remain cossetted in the artificial cushy world of their parents at home?
I'm not understanding how you get from baby boomer generation to those in their teens and twenties wanting to stay home. You've totally skipped generation X, the parents of generation Y; you know, those in their teens and twenties now.

I'm a baby boomer and don't know anyone who had their kids live with them into adulthood.

What's this, "should be available by remote communication 24/7, etc." stuff? My generation has never been attached to communication as the next generation has been. I know very, very few people in their 50s and 60s who feel a need to stay 'available by remote communication 24/7' for ANY reason or anybody.

I honestly believe you have the Baby Boomer Generation (Those in their 50s through 60s now.) confused with Generation X (Those in their 30s through 40s now.)

Old 08-21-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
That's quite a rant there. What's wrong with YOUR generation? If you hope is that the NEXT generation cycles away from selfishness and materialism, what about YOUR generation? What responsibility are YOU going to take?

Lazy offspring of the boomers? Now you're talking about those in their 40s. They work. It's the generation X that are parenting the teens and early twenty crowd now. It's the teens and early twenties crowd that think the world owes them. It's the teens and early twenty crowd that think they should stay home and have all their toys that come off the backs of their parents. You can't blame the boomers on that. We aren't parenting the Y generation.

It's easy to blame, but try taking responsibility for a change. See, that's where YOUR generation is failing; accountability and responsibility for yourselves. There is none in YOUR generation.

I'm not understanding how you get from baby boomer generation to those in their teens and twenties wanting to stay home. You've totally skipped generation X, the parents of generation Y; you know, those in their teens and twenties now.

I'm a baby boomer and don't know anyone who had their kids live with them into adulthood.

What's this, "should be available by remote communication 24/7, etc." stuff? My generation has never been attached to communication as the next generation has been. I know very, very few people in their 50s and 60s who feel a need to stay 'available by remote communication 24/7' for ANY reason or anybody.

I honestly believe you have the Baby Boomer Generation (Those in their 50s through 60s now.) confused with Generation X (Those in their 30s through 40s now.)
No, I don't, actually. In the working world, it's the boomers who instituted all this stuff. I think you're off on the generations, actually. Generation X didn't officially start until after 1964, so most Generation Xers do not have full adult offspring yet.

Maybe you're an early boomer? The baby boom was officially 1946-64.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:50 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,619 times
Quote:
No, I don't, actually. In the working world, it's the boomers who instituted all this stuff. I think you're off on the generations, actually. Generation X didn't officially start until after 1964, so most Generation Xers do not have full adult offspring yet.

Officially? The baby boom was '43-'60.
genX '60-81
genY '82-'01

GenX have offspring as old as 30 now.

GenY are the families with younger children now.

And it isn't my generation that needs to be hooked up to technology 24/7. MOST of my generation don't have modern technology besides maybe computers, some with cell phones, but not like GenX.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:02 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
genX '60-81
genY '82-'01

And it isn't my generation that needs to be hooked up to technology 24/7. MOST of my generation don't have modern technology besides maybe computers, some with cell phones, but not like GenX.
Who developed all this technology? Who sold our jobs overseas? Who put this country into debt and built cardboard castles on credit and bad loans? It wasn't all genX or genY - boomers have a lot of responsibility too. Regardless of what the "official" boom was - I've seen lots of different dates on that so arguing over what amounts to a 5yr spreadsimply to distance oneself from any responsibility isn't worthwhile.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
genX '60-81
genY '82-'01

I've read different years but there's no point in arguing that.

In my experience, it was the boomers who glorified work to the excessive extent that it is and implanted the idea that we should all be working 24/7, and it was the boomers who forced the greater and greater intrusion of work into personal time. I can only go by what I have seen.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:05 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
I was born in 1945. The baby boomers are the generation that was born between 1946 and 1964. That means the youngest baby boomers are around 46. Some of them are parenting these teens if they waited until their 30s and 40s to have children, but many have grown children not teens or even twenty year olds. My own children are 37 and 40 themselves born in the 70s. Both of mine work and while my ds did live at home during graduate school, that was a way for him to save money toward his eventual wedding and the school he attended was within walking distance of our home. My dd has been out on her own since she graduated from college though she is in a field where money is an issue. We have helped out with her health insurance until she finally got a job that offered benefits. This is rare in her field to begin with and as a single woman, she did not have a husband whose job offered insurance as I did when I was her age.

Dorothy

Old 08-22-2010, 12:35 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,302 times
Quote:
. I think you're off on the generations, actually. Generation X didn't officially start until after 1964, so most Generation Xers do not have full adult offspring yet.

Yeah, sheesh, I am a Gen X and I almost had a heart attack when NoExcuses said we might have kids in their 20's!!! Not yet, lol.

I'm not agreeing with NoExcuses and others who characterize teens/20's as lazy and entitled. This is simply not what I am experiencing in my life. I have two teens (three more behind them) and know many others-my oldest just graduated hs. Almost all the kids I know, are young people who are working, going to school (or both) or joining the military. I don't actually know any of the 'entitled/lazy' kids that keep getting talked about here. The kids I know, are trying hard to make it, in tough times.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:17 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
Yeah, sheesh, I am a Gen X and I almost had a heart attack when NoExcuses said we might have kids in their 20's!!! Not yet, lol.

I'm not agreeing with NoExcuses and others who characterize teens/20's as lazy and entitled. This is simply not what I am experiencing in my life. I have two teens (three more behind them) and know many others-my oldest just graduated hs. Almost all the kids I know, are young people who are working, going to school (or both) or joining the military. I don't actually know any of the 'entitled/lazy' kids that keep getting talked about here. The kids I know, are trying hard to make it, in tough times.
If you were born in the 60s, you *could* have kids in their 20s. If you were born in 1965, say and married in 1985 or thereabouts and had kids fairly quickly say in 1988, those kids would be 22 or so. Certainly not all genxers have kids that age, but neither do *most* baby boomers. I have grandchildren who are 8 and 6 and I am 65, born during WWII when my dad was overseas in the army.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting