Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 02:26 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily2204 View Post
That is just pure ignorance. I'm sorry but have you looked outside your window in the past 2 years? It is not the same world the parents grew up in. Hell, when my parents were starting out on their own you could get a decent job with only a high school education. Now you can't get a minimum-wage job with a college degree. There are no jobs, we are in an economic downturn. There were plenty of families living together under one roof during the depression and no one yelled at the kids for being lazy or worthless. You cannot expect the same results when the circumstances have changed so significantly. There are less opportunities out there even for young people with great ambition and work ethic who did everything right. The "generations before that did it with little or no issue" did not have the same nationwide economic situation to deal with.
Excuses, excuses, excuses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily2204
Before you start casting stones and painting every young person as entitled, spoiled and irresponsible, maybe you should walk a day in their shoes. Give up all of the money you have ever earned in your life and start out with nothing. No job experience, no help from anyone else and go out there and see what it's like right now. It's not as easy as you think.
By "maybe you should wak a day in their shoes.", do you mean your parents? Because "giving up all of the money you have ever earned in your life and start out with nothing. No job experience, not help from anyone else." Is exactly what your parents did when they started out.

They likely began adult life by moving into a small apartment upstairs above someone else, found a job doing whatever they could find a job doing, and GOING WITHOUT until they could afford to buy.

Imagine that, actually going without until you can afford it on your own. Wow, what a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 02:51 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,590 times
People just want to put their heads in the sand. There are very few living wage jobs any more. It is really that simple. Dad went to work at a plant. Mom was a CNA they made because the cost of living was low. Food rent ect had full time hours and health benefits no college debt. Now today add high cost living no full time hours no health benefits and college debts. You are not making it on 25 hours a week 8 to 10 bucks an hour. And that is if you can find that to start with. We have 6 workers for every job opening it is not the same world. Now a entry levle job 25k to 27k with health benefits you may get 500 to 600 going for that job. Your talking lotto odds at that point

Old 08-20-2010, 03:22 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
People just want to put their heads in the sand. There are very few living wage jobs any more. It is really that simple. Dad went to work at a plant. Mom was a CNA they made because the cost of living was low. Food rent ect had full time hours and health benefits no college debt. Now today add high cost living no full time hours no health benefits and college debts. You are not making it on 25 hours a week 8 to 10 bucks an hour. And that is if you can find that to start with. We have 6 workers for every job opening it is not the same world. Now a entry levle job 25k to 27k with health benefits you may get 500 to 600 going for that job. Your talking lotto odds at that point
Amen Amen this is true . wake up ppl , ppl are living in their cars I wont allow my adult child live in a car . Thank god my son has a job and he has two kids in florida (one of the hardest hit areas ) economically and Im so worried about them but they say they are alright . I dont want to see anyone homeless . If something does not turn upward soon everyone will be in line for the soup kitchens .

Old 08-20-2010, 04:14 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,590 times
Thanks Phonelady61 most of the time I doubt anybody read my posts. Things mostly likely will keep going downward for years to come. They keep sending jobs overseas the pace is getting faster. Now they are moving on to IT R&D jobs engineering jobs these are high paying jobs. White collar jobs will move overseas in the next 10 to 15 years in a big way. Most jobs in the future will be part time or temp no health benefits. Everybody says go into health care for a job. But in the future very few jobs will have health benefits. So how is anybody going to afford medical care? Most jobs in the US can be done overseas. For about 75% less then here it is that simple. Most are going to leave and they are not coming back. What is left will be done part time or temp. Anything full time with good benefits and good pay will have 100s going for it. People just do not like to think that nothing can go wrong. They want to feel they are in power. But lose your job get sick or something bad happen. And you can end up homeless or if your lucky back home with mom.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:17 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegeguy35 View Post
Thanks Phonelady61 most of the time I doubt anybody read my posts. Things mostly likely will keep going downward for years to come. They keep sending jobs overseas the pace is getting faster. Now they are moving on to IT R&D jobs engineering jobs these are high paying jobs. White collar jobs will move overseas in the next 10 to 15 years in a big way. Most jobs in the future will be part time or temp no health benefits. Everybody says go into health care for a job. But in the future very few jobs will have health benefits. So how is anybody going to afford medical care? Most jobs in the US can be done overseas. For about 75% less then here it is that simple. Most are going to leave and they are not coming back. What is left will be done part time or temp. Anything full time with good benefits and good pay will have 100s going for it. People just do not like to think that nothing can go wrong. They want to feel they are in power. But lose your job get sick or something bad happen. And you can end up homeless or if your lucky back home with mom.
Like I always said. If you want a job. Go into hair styling. Can't be outsourced and only requires 1800 hours of schooling!

Old 08-20-2010, 06:49 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,945,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I got to page two. The job market sucking isn't the jist of the article. Plus, this trend was occuring long before the job market sucked.

I'm going to toss out my own opinion as to why this is happening. Our society and children are more driven by material things than independence. Children today have expensive interests compared to our generation as children. We didn't have huge 'entertainment' expenses in addition to living expenses when we went out on our own. We didn't have to pay for cell phones, internet, etc. We simply had rent and utilities to contend with on our own.

Society today won't do without all the luxuries. They don't just want a cell phone, they want a Blackberry with all the bells and whistles. They don't just want internet, they want high speed internet. And they're willing to trade independence to have these luxuries. They don't want to move out until they can have it all. That wasn't the way it was when we were young adults. We moved out and counted pennies. And we were happy to do it too!
I think you've hit on a lot of good points. In many ways, today's generation has been bought in a way that earlier generations weren't. Parents became facilitators whose job it was to make their kids' lives easier, rather than prepare them for the difficulties of life and allow them to go through hardship on their own.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I think you've hit on a lot of good points. In many ways, today's generation has been bought in a way that earlier generations weren't. Parents became facilitators whose job it was to make their kids' lives easier, rather than prepare them for the difficulties of life and allow them to go through hardship on their own.
This is the sad truth. Exactly.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:48 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,945,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
This is the sad truth. Exactly.
It seems the boomers really redefined parenting, for the worse. I've seen some extreme examples of this. In its worst form, it robs kids of the confidence they need to face life on their own, and leaves them crippled and dependent on their parents.

I think all the broken families we have today play a role in this too. Unattached parents or parents in unstable relationships often try to hold on to their kids, and don't push them to grow up. When parents have a healthy marriage, adult offspring at some point start to become an intrusion on the marriage if they are living home, and the parents want them out. But with unattached parents, they often depend on their kids emotionally and unconsciously hold them back from growing up fully.

There are lots of factors, none of them good.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:29 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,080 times
Higher standard of living nowadays, more competition from other graduates and let's not forget those student loans they have to pay back 6 months after they graduate, assuming they are even hired in that time. Who can afford to not move back in with their parents when they begin their life in debt?

Old 08-20-2010, 08:38 PM

Why go to college straight out of high school if there will be no market for the degree after and you will still owe on loans? Makes no sense. Parents are setting kids up to fail because they expect college right out of high school knowing jobs are few and money is tight. To add to this, kids are raised to have it all and expect it all when they go off on their own. Since they can't afford to have it all, they'd rather have it all at mom and dad's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting