Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 01:34 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,832,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
that sounds about right!
There wasn't much for us to want. We were not constantly barraged by advertising for the latest whatever. I have a 24 year old who lives at home (excellent job), and it looks to me like he has no plans to go anywhere soon. He does contribute to household expenses. I have noticed this trend for awhile now; a number of his friends seem to be doing the same thing. My son is very good at saving. He looks after pets when we travel, helps out around the house, yardwork etc. We don't mind having young people around, it keeps us young. He and his friends just generally seem to enjoy living at home. If he was a sloth, he would be out the door
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 01:49 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
Its probably because so many kids are going to college because its pretty much rammed down their throats that they "have to go to college," or they'll be some kind of failure. Then they go to college, take some useless degree like philosophy, sociology, political science, anthropology, etc etc etc, and graduate and realize that they're qualified to work at Wal-Mart.

People need to start thinking before they continue their education, and take up something that will lead to a good job, and more people should be thinking about trade school rather than college. If I could do it again, I would think about going that route...it seems the electricians and plumbers are living better than most people who got a generic 4 year degree that qualified them for nothing.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:56 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,837,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Its probably because so many kids are going to college because its pretty much rammed down their throats that they "have to go to college," or they'll be some kind of failure.
That's soooooo true. My sister went to Cosmetology school. She just graduated and got a full time job. She is 20. She has zero debt (my parents had college funds for both of us, however her school was only $5,000). and she takes home about $50 a day in tips. She only does manicures and pedicures right now and after 6 months of assisting she will be able to have her own chair and earn 30% of her cuts.

People STILL ask my mom if she is disappointed that my sister didn't go to college. In her opinion she has a perfectly self sufficient 20 year old and her friend have 25 year old kids who are unemployed at home with college degrees.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:56 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
I would guess for many different reasons. One 23 year old man I know just moved in with his mom after several years of being on his own and living with his girlfriend. When the relationship ended and he lost his job he moved in with friends until he found another one, but he isn't getting full time hours or benefits at this point. He lived with us for awhile and finally asked his mom if he could live with her. She just rented a 3 bedroom place and had the room so it's all working out. Nobody wanted it this way, but what choice was their really?

My daughter graduated college in May and is living off savings in another city. Having just finishied up an internship that did not result in a job offer she is now unemployed and scrambiling to find something before her savings runs out. I don't know if she will end up moving home again or not, but really...what's the alternative? She does NOT want to move back home and she isn't looking to have "everything right now". She has very little and likes it that way.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
they were not taught life skills. life skills involves punishment and discipline. respect for authority is critical.
we did not like the way our grandparents did things so we did our own version. we have failed.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:04 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
they were not taught life skills. life skills involves punishment and discipline. respect for authority is critical.
we did not like the way our grandparents did things so we did our own version. we have failed.
That's not really true. Maybe for some slackers and their parents but most young people want their independence, they just can't find jobs that pay the rent.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:22 PM

541 posts, read 1,340,882 times
very simple...because of financial reason...i came 2 years ago form europe and i honestly did not expected such a fast decline in usa..poverty is getting bigger and bigger from day to day in usa,all classes are very hard affected..i saw so many famillies in financial ruins,all classes...and such a desperation i have never met before in my life,although i was in many places around the world..my feeling is,the big majority of americans do not know,how to deal with teh hard financial times coming over them..i saw poor countries,but they knew ,how to deal with it...i see such a desperation hier..teh sad part is,the famillies do not really held together..maybe such a situation will change some familly values,will bring people more closer to each other in the familly...we have a saying..poverty is the best teacher..and the ones,who suffer most right now,are children..i saw parents losing their jobs,having to give up the house...i will never forget a child(around 4,5 years old)first screaming (in desperation),then being silent and heart broken watching people taking his piano away..his little hands stretched out:do not take my piano...the parents had to sell everything,everything in the house on a yard sale..they lost job,house,had nowhere to go with 4 children...life is hard in usa right now..and it will be harder...and it will require new arrangements,new ways to deal with it..and one good way is to move with your parents...what we europeans have done for years...in europe you could not buy so easily a house like hier (high downpayments required and very stricte conditions)..as a young men you also could not rent so easily...so stay with parents was teh best way..now usa learns,forced thorugh the situation,what europeans have been learning for years..living with parents and not put yourself in banc slavery,debts,is the best as a young man or woman

Old 08-16-2010, 02:35 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buburuza13 View Post
very simple...because of financial reason...i came 2 years ago form europe and i honestly did not expected such a fast decline in usa..poverty is getting bigger and bigger from day to day in usa,all classes are very hard affected..i saw so many famillies in financial ruins,all classes...and such a desperation i have never met before in my life,although i was in many places around the world..my feeling is,the big majority of americans do not know,how to deal with teh hard financial times coming over them..i saw poor countries,but they knew ,how to deal with it...i see such a desperation hier..teh sad part is,the famillies do not really held together..maybe such a situation will change some familly values,will bring people more closer to each other in the familly...we have a saying..poverty is the best teacher..and the ones,who suffer most right now,are children..i saw parents losing their jobs,having to give up the house...i will never forget a child(around 4,5 years old)first screaming (in desperation),then being silent and heart broken watching people taking his piano away..his little hands stretched out:do not take my piano...the parents had to sell everything,everything in the house on a yard sale..they lost job,house,had nowhere to go with 4 children...life is hard in usa right now..and it will be harder...and it will require new arrangements,new ways to deal with it..and one good way is to move with your parents...what we europeans have done for years...in europe you could not buy so easily a house like hier (high downpayments required and very stricte conditions)..as a young men you also could not rent so easily...so stay with parents was teh best way..now usa learns,forced thorugh the situation,what europeans have been learning for years..living with parents and not put yourself in banc slavery,debts,is the best as a young man or woman
You bring up a very interesting point and that is that the U.S. is a bit of a unique entity in the way we approach family and children. In Europe and many parts of the world it is the "norm" for the family to live together with multiple generations under a single roof. Each member contributes to the household and the household then helps to assist the members as they start their own families.

I have a friend who immigrated to the U.S. from Russia (technically Moldavia, but his family are ethnic Russians) and they have stayed together over the years investing and building as family. My friends parents invested in real estate and own many rental properties. My friend attended college and is now a computer programmer. He takes his pay home to the household and this money is used to further their investments. His grandparents, parents and sister all live in the family home and all contribute to the families wealth. The grandparents maintain the home and cook and took care of the children when they were younger, his parents manage their properties and both have worked at different points, he and his sister both work and bring their checks home.

The market has been hard on them as they are heavily into real estate, but they are weathering the storm because the family has stayed together. I always thought this was a bit odd, but when I see how it works for them it makes sense. My friend will be getting married in another year and he plans to live in a unit in one of their rental houses while conitnuing to contribute a portion of his salary back to the family business. Let's just say he found his future wife, while on a trip back to Moldavia, I doubt he would have found an American woman willing to live that life. I can't say I would want it either, but they are also a very tight family and very financially secure, something most traditional American families aren't.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:24 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
Haven't young adults always depended on their parents to help get them started? I graduated from college in 1987. I was 21 years old. I had a job and a college degree. I was planning on getting married in a year. My parents wanted me to come back home and live with them until I got married. They said "Why pay rent?"

I bought a car. I had a job but could not get a loan in my own name. My parents co-signed the loan. They also allowed me to stay on their car insurance. I paid the bill for my car but it was much cheaper for me to do that than to get my own insurance at 21. I paid them a minimal rent for the year I lived at home after I graduated from school. They returned it to me when I moved out so that I could buy some furniture (I did not know they were doing that). I have been living independently from my parents since 1988.

My brother also returned home for a while when he graduated from college in 1991. He has been living independently since 1992. However, that help from the parents was very much appreciated.

They helped me out because I was their child. That's what parents do for their kids. Now that the tables are turned and we have much more money than my father (my mother passed away) we take him out for dinner. We get stuff fixed at his condo. We help him. He is my father and that's what kids do for their parents.

I do think that young adults need to learn independence. But I don't think it's so terrible for parents to help young adults get started in life. I fully expect to help my guys get started after they are finished with their education.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:29 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
That's not really true. Maybe for some slackers and their parents but most young people want their independence, they just can't find jobs that pay the rent.
independence is found in self government. discipline.
some slackers??? highest prison population on earth. the orchard did not yield fruit this season and the creditors are coming to take back the land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting