Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 10:23 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That's because it's a common problem with the modern prepaid lunch programs.

I had the same problem with my children overspending with their prepaid lunch accounts.

My solution wasn't to make them go without food at school.

I simply stopped using the prepaid lunch account and gave them cash each day.
I thought maybe they didn't allow that any longer or something these days since it seems like the logical way to solve the problem!

My son takes his lunch so I've never had the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 10:45 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,807,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I too am having a creepy feeling of deja vu ..... something about the whole tone.
lol, I thought the same thing.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:12 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
No way I'd have driven over there unless I saw smoke rising from that part of town.

So he misses breakfast because he's doing his hair? OK. Guess he's going to miss breakfast. He's a big boy. If his hair is more important than breakfast so be it. He's buying "double lunch" because he's in the blinkin' bathroom doing his hair. No extra lunch money from THIS mean mom. (Meaning me.)

Then to top it off this starving child who has NO breakfast and NO lunch is in the GF's basement "watching movies" (yeah, right) and misses a meal he KNOWS is waiting for him?

No supper for him. You have a dog? I wouldn't waste perfectly good food. It goes to the dog or the meal is saved and re-heated. And not by The Wonder Boy Who Doesn't Need Food. He'll learn to pick up a phone and have the common curtesy to say, "I won't be home by six but please save something for me because I love you and I was raised not to expect you to jump over hoops for me."

Old 11-16-2010, 11:13 AM

556 posts, read 798,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I think grounding him and taken away his ipod is justified. However I would personally never punish a child by not letting him eat dinner. I think it's cruel. I'm not saying you are cruel but I myself find it cruel to deny food. You went overboard with that one.
See I think that was the most justified part of the punishment. It directly tied to the infraction.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:21 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,093,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamom1 View Post
My 16 yo ds, who I have written on here about before, came home late. The rule is he is supposed to be home by 6 for dinner. He is usually good about it. Tonight 6 o'clock came and went. I hadn't heard anything from him and was starting to get worried. He had texted me around 3 saying he was going to his girlfriend's house. So at 6:30 I drove over there to see if they knew where he was and he was in her basement "watching a movie". I was so mad! So I grounded him(until further notice) and took away his ipod. His dinner had sat on the table for more than 1/2 hour so I threw it away before I left to find him. He keeps coming out of his room all angry complaining about how he hasn't eaten all day. He didn't have breakfast because he spends an hour on his hair in the morning. He didn't have lunch because he used all his lunch money already (I had put enough in his account to last him two months and he was buying double lunch and used all the money). And his dinner ended up in the trash. If he seemed like he felt bad about it, then I would probably lighten up a little. But he is acting like it is my fault that he didn't come home and missed dinner.

Am I being unreasonable?

And please don't start about how he is 16 and he should be able to stay out later...blah...blah...blah. That is not what I am asking about. I'm asking about the punishment.

OMG..are you trying to get him to resent you..
Lay off..he's 16
PUNISHMENT?? for watching a movie with his girlfriend.
ARE YOU SERIOUS?
I feel sorry for your son
Who threw his dinner in the trash?
You probably embarrassed the poor kid
GEEZ

Old 11-16-2010, 11:29 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
WRT the lunch account....the poster said she put a set amount in the lunch account to teach him how to budget money. She told him how long it should last if he bought one lunch per day. He chooses not to eat the entire lunch, instead purchasing 2 lunches and eating the parts he prefers. He runs out of money. Giving him cash would then defeat the whole point would it not? The poster said he is able to pack his lunch. I am still not feeling too sorry for this boy regarding how hungry he is. His hunger is based on his own choices.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:32 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
lol, I thought the same thing.
me too!

Old 11-16-2010, 11:45 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,807,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
me too!
If this kid starts buttering the floor, I'm outta here!!!

Old 11-16-2010, 11:52 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
If this kid starts buttering the floor, I'm outta here!!!

Sorry. I'm a little slow-witted this morning, but you get a !

Old 11-16-2010, 12:19 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,648,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think requiring a 16 year old boy be home for 6 o'clock supper is unreasonable. Maybe if it is a special dinner with company but not on a regular basis. let him know when dinner will be served and if he is there he is welcome to join you but if he isn't then his dinner will be covered up in the fridge. So he was at his girl friends house? Big deal. he could have been in a drug den or something.

When my kids were 16 they had all sorts of after school activities which kept them out till about 7 about 3 nights a week. When they got home, they fixed thier own supper and headed to the books.

Give him some latitude. If he can keep his grades up, doesn't get in trouble, let him learn to exercise some discipline in his time management.
So yes,I think you are WAY over reacting. Sounds very controlling to me.

Also the idea to make sure there are no leftovers for him is unreal. Why would you throw away perfectly good food when you have a growing boy in your home.

I agree with this !!

Whoop-de-doo, so he missed a dniier.....

There are far worse things the boy can do. I have 3 boys, and believe me, they have missed a meal or two,......so eat later...no big deal.
To a 16 year old their social life is the most important thing on earth, remember when we were that age???

I say yes, you over reacted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting