Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 04:25 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,958,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
jk - he can do that in college too....DD gets many of her books used off of Amazon or halfprice.com (I think that's the site).....
We'll have to remember that. It does help quite a bit! The one's I can't get at the used book store will be way, way cheaper for him to download - in fact, some are cheaper to download than the used book. Isn't there a way to also "mark" the book electronically?

Old 05-16-2011, 04:28 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
I know there is on the Nook (and I'm assuming the Kindle too)...I can highlight and make notes (and look up words) on my Nook...those are the two main formats so I'm sure you could on the iPad.....or whatever he has....You just can't then turn around and resell it at the end of the semester....depends on if it's a book he wants to keep. Some are not keepers!

Old 05-16-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
I know there is on the Nook (and I'm assuming the Kindle too)...I can highlight and make notes (and look up words) on my Nook...those are the two main formats so I'm sure you could on the iPad.....or whatever he has....You just can't then turn around and resell it at the end of the semester....depends on if it's a book he wants to keep. Some are not keepers!
I think he's downloaded the kindle and it's on his mac and also on his iPhone I'm assuming.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:35 PM

That reminds me - question for you.....I know you have an iPad....DD's laptop is questionable to last another year....Can the iPad replace her laptop completely? I know that's what she'd prefer to get - just didn't know if it could handle being the only computer one has?

Old 05-16-2011, 05:07 PM

Well, it depends - what does she use her computer for most of the time? I know when they first came out, printing was obviously an issue - not sure if there is a fix for that now.

There are apps and such you can get for writing, etc. and she can get a keyboard to attach to it. Me personally - I wouldn't want it as my only computer. But then again, the programs I use couldn't be used on an iPad. So it might work for her. But I would think doing papers and other major stuff could be a problem.

I'll ask DH. He's the "expert" everything Apple and has gotten a lot of apps and such for the iPad. I'll ask him what he thinks and tell him what her primary needs are if you let me know.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:13 PM

Thanks - She has a keyboard....I know she uses it for school stuff (papers) obviously (although-not sure how much more of that she actually has left) so printing is a must.... She does use Skype a lot (which I'm guessing would be an issue)....so far she's ok but just not sure how much longer it will last....We were looking at the new iPads when she was home and they are really sweet. I was thinking just the other day how spoiled we're getting. Remembering when I started work right out of college - no computers - we still had typists and shared a phone line. When we got faxes it was HUGE - and that was with that paper that curled! LOL....now here I am complaining about how cumbersome a 15" laptop is....

Old 05-16-2011, 06:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
I avoided the Dyson for years because of the price. Three vacuum cleaners later, I finally broke down and bought one. It's totally worth the money. In the long run, I'm spending less money because I'm not replacing vacuum cleaners every year or two. Dysons really stand up to god hair.

I HAVE A STUPID COOKING QUESTION:

Crabcakes. I love them. I have no idea how to cook them. I don't really have experience with cooking seafood.

I look at recipes and get confused on the most elementary thing: Where to buy crabmeat? Surely it's not in a can, is it?

I know, I sound like an idiot! Help me! I want to learn how to cook crabcakes!

Old 05-16-2011, 06:10 PM

Hopes...you can get it in a can or fresh....I love love love crabcakes....not something we get much of out here....

Old 05-16-2011, 06:11 PM

btw, about the Dyson. Kmart has layaway again if you don't want to charge it.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Hopes...you can get it in a can or fresh....I love love love crabcakes....not something we get much of out here....
It's one of my favorite meals. I always order it if we're at a restaurant that has them. I want to learn how to make them myself.

Hubby and I were at Sams today. A cooking magazine had a beautiful picture on them. I read the recipe and it said "1 lb crabmeat."

I showed hubby and admitted that I had no clue. He didn't either and told me to "ask those people on the internet. I'll bet one of them will know."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting