Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 03:13 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I wish the weather was better.
Isn't that the truth! I'm going to confess - I'm still in my p.j.s...... I am about to go take a shower though!

Old 05-15-2011, 03:14 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Two girls down the street have opened up a sno cone stand. Your choice of cherry, grape or root beer for a mere 50 cents. I had the root beer. Quite refreshing and their business is really starting to pick up.
That reminds me of that cute Verizon commercial - the little girl and the lemonade stand!

Old 05-15-2011, 03:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I'm going to confess - I'm still in my p.j.s...... I am about to go take a shower though!
I'm still in mine too! I love hanging out in my p.j.s.

I'm much better at doing laundry if I stay in p.j.s. It prevents me from deciding I need to go somewhere and do something.

The big bonus of summer is getting to wear clothes that feel like p.j.s without looking like p.j.s., like my linen draw string pants.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:25 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
There are quite a few different shows now. Some trace records, and some trace DNA. Both equally fascinating.

The standing joke in my family is that my mother and her father were both under 5 ft, jet black hair, fairly dark skin, green eyes, they look completely Middle-Eastern but swear it's the Scottish blood. Umm, yeah, okay. So needless to say I think my mom is a little anxious to see what my sister finds.
I was born with jet black hair and when I am in the sun it glows the copper red color and lightened a bit as I got older to a dark chocolate brown but it still glows a copper color in the sunlight.
I'm naturally pretty pale and have green eyes that actually change color based on mood, they just get brighter green when I get pissed or really upset.
Oh I have SOME freckles too, my shoulders have more than anywhere else and my face only has a few.

I'm pretty much solely irish/scottish, a smidge german and english but you can REALLY see the Irish/Scottish combo in me.

SOOOOOOOO
We went out to my great grandmothers house, its still her but she doesn't live in it and she lives with my grandmother because her house really should be condemned, mold, asbestos, water damage etc anyways my grandmother old bed is still out there and LUCKILY its still in good condition and hasn't been affected by anything thankfully, and I found a memory foam thing on top of it, the SAME exact kind I have on my bed back home, pulled it off the bed and brought it home, going to wash the crap out of the cover and use it. And they (her and her sister) are moving a bunch of furniture around and stuff and swapping things and we're going to have the bed moved out here and put it in the loft where I am so I'll have bigger bed again, it's like a full or queen and its in awesome shape.

She still hasn't decided anything about her knee yet but I definitely will be coming out to visit more often and as a cop, I can ALWAYS, since I'll have 3-4 days off in a row a week, just fly out at the end of one shift and fly back before the next one. So say I work Wed, Thrus, Friday, Saturday with Wednesday being an alternating work/training/off day, when its an off day and I only work Th-Sa leave out after my sat shift and come back before work on Thursday.

Still haven't gotten her stuff set up yet, I have no clue how to and AT&T hasn't come back out to fix their mistake and they say they won't do it.

My grandmother even said if I came to live here that she'd put in a door to the loft where I am staying, its only like a one story house, with this loft type deal over the garage and it doesn't even have a door way, you'd need to finish a way the rest of the way up and then add the door frame and door. My grandmother wants to put glass bricks the rest of the way up the half wall to create a section to place the door at the top of the stairs. Shouldn't be too hard.

My great grandmother is 92 and of course asked, "What do you need a door for?" and my grandmother explained to me my great grandmother doesn't understand the concept of privacy and doesn't think anyone needs a door.

Old 05-15-2011, 03:35 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,805 times
Don't ya just hate it when you walk into the store, needing a few things, and an hour later walking out with a cart full of stuff, but nothing you actually went there for in the first place?!

Old 05-15-2011, 03:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Don't ya just hate it when you walk into the store, needing a few things, and an hour later walking out with a cart full of stuff, but nothing you actually went there for in the first place?!
Oh, that sounds real familiar.

The two little entrepreneurs started going door-to-door to drum up business. Judging by the traffic they've generated I'd say they've easily cleared $15 after the initial outlay of funds for supplies. Not bad for a quiet, small street.

Yes. Just like the Verizon commercial.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:13 PM

Strawflower, that sounds extremely familiar, except for the walking part.

I'm constantly forgetting to get the very things I go out to buy. Constantly.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
There are quite a few different shows now. Some trace records, and some trace DNA. Both equally fascinating.

The standing joke in my family is that my mother and her father were both under 5 ft, jet black hair, fairly dark skin, green eyes, they look completely Middle-Eastern but swear it's the Scottish blood. Umm, yeah, okay. So needless to say I think my mom is a little anxious to see what my sister finds.
Ever hear of Black Irish? Well, there's Black Scots too.

It's very likely that your mother doesn't have anything unusual in her bloodline. 3% of Irish have jet black hair. I'm sure the same applies to the Scottish.

It's interesting to read about where the "black" comes from in Black Irish:

Black Irish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In a nutshell, it's the genetics from the Basque people, which have something to do with Spanish and French genetics.

btw, I'm Irish and Scottish --- 50% Irish from my mother's 100% Irish and 25% Scottish from my father's 50% Scottish. The other 25% is English but we ignore that part. LOL

Old 05-15-2011, 05:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
I'm part Scottish too.

Txt- glad you made it to your destination.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:30 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,489,116 times
Speaking of PJs (upthread), we're experiencing a cold snap Downunder, as we head into winter. Before bed last night I put on my matching PJs - black with splotches of various shades of pink. All well and good, except I was too cold so I swapped the sleeveless PJ top with a warmer 'Buddy Guy's Legends Bar' T-shirt which is white and blue.

This morning it was still cold and, since I haven't yet replaced the slippers that fell apart last winter, I put on some socks. Opening the sock drawer, I figured there's no point in rummaging for a matching pair, I'll just use two of the many odd ones lying there forlornly. So I pulled out the two that were on the top - a brown one and a green one.

Usually I clean teeth and brush hair pretty much before doing anything else, but because I planned to shower and wash hair once the day had warmed up a bit, I didn't bother.

Waiting for the kettle to boil, I realised it was still very chilly. My dressing gown is in a pile of other winter clothes waiting to be washed, so I threw on a very old, very shaggy and very over-sized grey woollen cardigan.

Then I drank coffee and checked emails etc. There were a couple that need to be replied to so I settled in and did what needed to be done - which took much longer than I thought. So then it was 10.30am... I'm sitting at the computer wearing black and pink pajama bottoms, a blue and white T-shirt, a daggy grey cardigan, one brown sock and one green sock. And don't forget the tangled hair and unbrushed teeth.

Then I can hear someone coming in through the side gate and along the path to the back of the house (they do that in country towns around here - front doors are only for Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses). By the time I can hear him, he can see me through the glass sliding doors.

It's the water meter reader... He looked at me verrrry strangely before asking me to please make sure to cut the overgrowth around the meter in the next few weeks because it's almost impossible for him to get to.

To add insult to injury, this wasn't some middle-aged, nondescript water-meter-reader like they usually are. Oh no - this time it was a George Clooney lookalike. He might have been half my age, but I do have half a shred of vanity left.

I have a feeling today isn't going to be a good one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.