Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 03:47 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,052,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
There is nothing wrong with peanut butter, but my entire lunch consisted of peanut butter on a spoon topped with chocolate chips!
Well a balanced diet is a good thing. Food for the body. Food for the soul.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:50 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
What wrong with peanut butter? It has WAY less calories and WAY less sugar and WAY less saturated fat and cholestrol and sodium and about the same amount of fat as a Starbuck's Frappuccino but packs a much more powerful punch in the protein and vitamins dept. Most of the espresso drinks at coffee places like Starbucks have more calories than a serving of PB, without the benefits of the proetin or nutrients.

I just picked a frappe or coffee at random, also because a lot of women watching their weight will skip a meal but get a coffee... but still. I feel sorry for PB. Everybody gives it such a hard time but seriously there are foods a lot of people eat everyday without thinking twice about it that are far worse. If given a choice between a salad from a fast food joint or your average American restaurant or a spoonful of peanut butter - I say go with the peanut butter. Some salads have as much as 450 calories and 24 grams of fat! Woah. High sodium, too. (And that's BEFORE you put the dressing on.)
My family aret primarily vegetarians (no red meat, very little other meats) and WE LOVE peanut butter. A WHOLE food all the way around. I like the organic kind you have to stir the oil into, must burn at least 20 calories mixing it in. High protein, good fats, good for the environment. Go PB!

Old 09-15-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Huh?

So I am curious, though - who cared for you when you were young? Day care? A nanny? Your mother? A grandmother?
My parents.

They were also the ones who taught me you respect people for what they do (and I do not mean their job) and their character, not just for breathing.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:58 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
My parents.

They were also the ones who taught me you respect people for what they do (and I do not mean their job) and their character, not just for breathing.
So someone who doesn't have a job can't have good character? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:59 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
My parents.

But apparently you DO mean their job.... How on earth do you know what a person does with their time or how it benefits anyone? And even if you did, why is it up to you to determine whether it's "worthy"?

Old 09-15-2011, 03:59 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSinger View Post
Lkb: I did not write that quote you posted in parenthesis.

-Get up before hubby, get dressed, prepare and serve breakfast
-Pack his lunch
-Make bed, do laundry, iron, make clothes, knit, crotchet, sew
-Clean the bathroom every day
-Deep clean a room each day
-Dust every day
-Sweep and wash floors twice a week (more for the kitchen floor)
-Decorate
-Clean dishes
-Make lunch and dinner
-Prepare and plan grocery lists and menus, shop
-Bake breads, muffins, cookies
-Take time for my appearance (homemade manicures and pedicures, make up, etc.)
-Declutter and organize
-Make soap and cheap homemade cleaners (using vinegar, Borax, baking soda, bleach etc.)
-Pay bills and budget
-Make phone calls and appointments; organize files
-Learn new skills like repairs and painting
-Be there for the repairmen
-Feel relaxed and enjoy DH's evening company
-Serious homesteaders take care of animals for meat and hens for eggs. They also grow gardens, can and preserve their produce.

I honestly don't feel like I am on vacation or retired. There is a lot of satisfaction and fun in being a homemaker! I've never claimed to do the same work as SAHMs. The fact though is that the words SAHM, domestic diva, domestic engineer etc. have replaced the now dirty word of housewife! I realize not all SAHMs feel it's their job to do the homemaking and that's their choice. Others do view themselves as radical homemakers first and therefore keep themselves quite busy during school hours without even volunteering.

I play the violin, the piano and sing opera. I am fully fluent in French and have learned Italian, Spanish, Latin and German in the past. I read when I have some downtime and rest when I don't feel good. I am my own boss and am happy to decide what I do with my time as opposed to answer to a boss! I can take an online or regular class if I want to further my education or pick up new hobbies. However, I prefer to spend time with hubby after work as I feel quite busy being a homemaker already! I hope that answers well your question.
I highlighted the things that I do. Your house must be spotless. Would you like to move in here for a while? It sounds like you keep a very nice home, but nothing needs to be dusted every day. Bathrooms don't need to be cleaned every day. Floors don't need to be moped twice/week if only 2 people are walking on them. I don't know... It just seems like overkill. And if I baked that much I'd weigh 200 lbs!

Old 09-15-2011, 04:02 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,055,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Bathrooms don't need to be cleaned every day.
Young boys have poor aim. Just sayin'.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:05 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Young boys have poor aim. Just sayin'.
She doesn't have kids. Just her and hubby.

I, on the other hand, have 2 boys. I hand them a clorox wipe and make them do it.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
But apparently you DO mean their job.... How on earth do you know what a person does with their time or how it benefits anyone? And even if you did, why is it up to you to determine whether it's "worthy"?
I only can go by what people tell me. If they tell me they clean house and wait on their husband that is all I can go on.

If I have no idea what they do, I tend to assume most people on the planet do things for each other and the betterment of their society. I mean look at this board, nearly every single SAHM is volunteering for the school, helping their neighbors, taking care of elderly family members or others who cannot do for themselves. And if anyone has no time to spare, it is the SAHMS.

Seems the vast majority of people are doing ALOT. Makes those who do very little for other, especially when they have so much to offer, seem wasteful.

And I am not sure why you have "worthy" in quotes. I never mentioned this housewifes (NYsomethings) worth, especially since no one can assign someone worth, I said she doesn't have my respect. Someone with so much education (by her own admission) and so many skill has so much to offer even if it isn't at a paid job. I was raised to give back, everyone with what they can. Some can give more of themselves than other but everyone can give something. And those who are lucky enough to be very talented or educated can give back in ways the rest of us cannot.

And in reality, no one respects everyone. I also don't respect the guy in front of my car this morning who through an entire bag of litter into the road. What are you supposed to respect people for (or not in this case) if not their actions?

Old 09-15-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
She doesn't have kids. Just her and hubby.

I, on the other hand, have 2 boys. I hand them a clorox wipe and make them do it.
Swish n swipe!! I swear by it.

We have a bottle of baking soda in water with a drop of dishsoap (yes even non-housewives can make cleaners) after I brush my teeth, spray the mirror, sink and toilet. Wipe them all down with a microfiber rag (I have dozens of them I hate paper towels) including the base of the toilet and run the toilet bowl around the bowl (I keep it in one of those canister things with some other soap in it). Literally takes 90 seconds.

I make my brother (he is 22) do his own bathroom since as you say boys "miss" and never seem to get over that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting