Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 09:31 AM

1,227 posts, read 2,063,577 times

Advertisements

I totally agree that women were mistreated in the past. Many women who abhorred the domestic sphere were frustrated and wanted to work. However, there is also no need to expect all women to do paid work as well now.

The more I read about feminist author Christina Sommer's views, which are about equity feminism, not gender feminism, the more I agree with her. We live in such a fortunate place now in North America. Even Betty Friedan had finally admitted she went too far in being anti-homemaker. The work has been done. Many extreme islamic countries are horrible to women. I am just saying there is no need to continue being bitter and angry anymore. I am grateful for the very good rights indeed that were fought for. My mom is a Physics engineer with an MBA, and chose to be a homemaker, which is what works best for her and her family.

The salary gap is also a bit controversial as many moms have been choosing to work less hours. Many also prefer to be in offices as opposed to some dangerously but highly paid physically demanding jobs.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:45 AM

1,227 posts, read 2,063,577 times
Finster: It is unfortunate indeed that sexism still exists in the work place, but there are laws now that protect women and help them.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:50 AM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSinger View Post
Finster: It is unfortunate indeed that sexism still exists in the work place, but there are laws now that protect women and help them.
Yes, that's good, however for a lot of women that's a big so what. If I ever availed myself of any of those services, I'd never work again - and that's a lot of women's actual reality.

Besides, I don't want to bring the law into it. I've never needed to. I'd rather it changed from the inside out, not because it's mandated by the gov or laws on the books.

Old 09-16-2011, 11:30 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Way back when, it did take one whole person to run a household. There weren't modern appliances. Laundry took longer, cooking took longer, people made their own clothing, etc. It was truly a full time job to take care of the house, even without kids. With appliances as they are now, and so many options at the grocery store, it really isn't necessary for someone to be home full time. Yes, it is a personal choice, and none of my business. I just thought I throw out one more reason (besides blaming it all on feminists), that most woman work outside the home these days.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:50 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
I recently saw (Aug 12, 2011) Gloria Steinem on the Charlie Rose show. She has a new documentary out.

HBO: Gloria: In Her Own Words: Home

Charlie Rose - Gloria Steinem

I am still conflicted on how I feel about the feminist movement. I don't know that it has really improved things for ALL women, honestly. I used to say that I was not supportive of it, but over time I began to feel like a hipocrite for thinking that way. If I wanted to pursue a career and put employment before my family, I could, and I have the feminist movement to thank for that. In other areas of my life, though, things are more complicated. Because the feminists fought so hard for women to be able to work outside the home, I sometimes feel pressure to do that, even though what my heart is telling me to do is take care of my husband, children, home... because I have actually done the working mother thing before and I see how everything suffers when I don't commit myself fully to it.

But so many women these days disrespect homemakers, sahm's, housewives.... and how can you set a good example for your children if you choose to do something with your life that it seems like most people disrespect you for?

It's very confusing and frustrating sometimes when I allow myself to think too deep into it.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:01 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
But so many women these days disrespect homemakers, sahm's, housewives.... and how can you set a good example for your children if you choose to do something with your life that it seems like most people disrespect you for?

It's very confusing and frustrating sometimes when I allow myself to think too deep into it.
Oh, for me that's so easy. You do what you think is right. If someone else doesn't like it, they can lump it.

As my mother used to say, "What do you care what other people think?"

Old 09-16-2011, 03:17 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Oh, for me that's so easy. You do what you think is right. If someone else doesn't like it, they can lump it.

As my mother used to say, "What do you care what other people think?"
Was gonna rep ya' but I gotta spread some around first. I like that... "they can lump it".

That would make a fun t-shirt. "lump it"

Old 09-16-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Was gonna rep ya' but I gotta spread some around first. I like that... "they can lump it".

That would make a fun t-shirt. "lump it"
Idiom lesson of the day: It's very old. Dickens used it.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:49 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Haha, Dew. I thought that said "Idiot lesson of the day" and was about to deliver a smackdown!

Old 09-16-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Haha, Dew. I thought that said "Idiot lesson of the day" and was about to deliver a smackdown!
Not today, Julia. I'm sure you'll have your chance but not today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting