Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 10:17 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,837,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I am having a really hard time figuring out what happened. He says he put a girl in a headlock to make her apologize for hitting him. Someone else says he shoved her against the wall and touched her, but I'm not sure where. People on this thread are using the word "fondle." DID he push a girl against a wall?
Here's what the OP said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco29 View Post
No it goes further 1 parent was concerned and the other 1 was witnessed by staff....I wish it was just the butt....he plays a lot & said he was playn by puttn 1 grl in the headlock and makn her apologize for hitting him but I've been told he pushed her up against the wall & touched her....he admitted that both times were the butt & they were playn with the other incident....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 10:54 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
I don't think that means that he was gropping breasts. I think it means that he smacked butts twice and then the headlocked playing was a separate incident that didn't involve sexual touching. Maybe he did touch her by accident when he pushed her against the wall and doesn't realize it because it wasn't his intent while it was happening.

I'm not making light of this. BUT. When we were in 6th and 7th grade, running around grabbing each other on the playground was all the rage. We coed wrestled too. Today, kindergarteners aren't allowed to hold hands or give quick kisses on cheeks. The world has gone batty.

I feel for the OP's son. Yes, what he did was wrong and something needs to be done about it. But he is being expelled at a very important developmental stage in his life. The expulsion could have long term consequences on his personality development and not in a good way.

It would be different if it were a suspension or a temporary expulsion where he could return to the school at a future date. But permanently removing him from his peers at this age is going to have long term negative consequences. Our school systems' policies on bullying and harrassment are not doing right by our nation's children and future society.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:56 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Here's what the OP said:
Yes, I read it. It says that someone told her that he did, which is not the same thing. It also says that he told her something else. I am asking whether she has concluded what actually happened.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:05 AM

17,391 posts, read 16,540,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't think that means that he was gropping breasts. I think it means that he smacked butts twice and then the headlocked playing was a separate incident that didn't involve sexual touching. Maybe he did touch her when he pushed her against the wall by accident and doesn't realize it because it wasn't his intent while it was happening.

I'm not making light of this. BUT. When we were in 6th and 7th grade, running around grabbing each other on the playground was all the rage. We coed wrestled too. Today, kindergarteners aren't allowed to hold hands or give quick kisses on cheeks. The world has gone batty.

I feel for the OP's son. Yes, what he did was wrong and something needs to be done about it. But he is being expelled at a very important developmental stage in his life. The expulsion could have long term consequences on his personality development and not in a good way.

It would be different if it were a suspension or a temporary expulsion where he could return to the school at a future date. But permanently removing him from his peers at this age is going to have long term negative consequences.

Our school systems are not doing right by our nation's children and future society.
If this kid has a problem, or simply needs to learn appropriate boundaries at school, it's better to deal with it now - while he's still in middle school. An expulsion in highschool would show up on his hs transcript.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:08 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times
The OP says that "she wishes it was just the butt" so I assume that means the inappropriate touching was either breasts or crotch. Both are very inappropriate places for a 14 year old boy to be touching a girl he has pinned against a wall at school.

The fact that this was an expulsion rather then a suspension also tells me that this was a serious incident and not just "horseplay".

Old 12-05-2011, 11:12 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
The OP says that "she wishes it was just the butt" so I assume that means the inappropriate touching was either breasts or crotch.
This is what I thought too, but then I considered that she might have meant, "I wish he had slapped her on the butt and nothing else," because of the headlock. She reiterates afterward that her son said it was the butt and just fooling around. So I'm confused.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:13 AM

17,391 posts, read 16,540,182 times
Quote:

The fact that this was an expulsion rather then a suspension also tells me that this was a serious incident and not just "horseplay".
Does the expulsion mean that he is kicked out of the regular school for good? No chance of reentry?

Old 12-05-2011, 11:19 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Does the expulsion mean that he is kicked out of the regular school for good? No chance of reentry?
It could mean that or it could just be for the remainder of the school year.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:28 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,752,585 times
Quote:
It could mean that or it could just be for the remainder of the school year.
I thought that too but if the administrator is referring him to alternative school, does that mean he has to remain there for the rest of his middle school years?

OP have you read through the student handbook of your son's school?

Out of curiousity regarding this thread and a recent convo with a parent who has middle school children I went and looked at our local schools handbook.

In our public middle school even Public Display of Affection is warrant enough for in school suspension! Our school system has a zero tolernace policy for any inappropiate behaviour, dress code and even (I swear to you) having cell-phones or other devices on campus results in fines, taking away, in school suspension, out of school suspension, campus clean up and at the administrators discretion explusion to an alternative school.

And if these policies are similar and your son was aware of it, then I truly suggest a sincere public apology especially if he never got in trouble like that before and some form of counseling involvement. Times have changed and school is not the way it use to be in our generation.

Again I am not trying to belittle the situation for all parties involved but if you say that your son never ever in God's honest truth got in trouble like that before and is an Angel then you need to be proactive, work with the school and not against them, work with this girls parents and come to a solution even if it is not one you may like.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:29 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,359,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't think that means that he was gropping breasts. I think it means that he smacked butts twice and then the headlocked playing was a separate incident that didn't involve sexual touching. Maybe he did touch her by accident when he pushed her against the wall and doesn't realize it because it wasn't his intent while it was happening.

It would be different if it were a suspension or a temporary expulsion where he could return to the school at a future date. But permanently removing him from his peers at this age is going to have long term negative consequences. Our school systems' policies on bullying and harrassment are not doing right by our nation's children and future society.
Excellent post. Not sure why some are trying to turn this incident into a homicide case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting