Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2012, 03:10 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,752,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
[/b]
Yes, one example of this would be deciding whether to do something forbidden by the parent.

Say you had a rule that while at the park, Jennifer is not allowed to go to the edge of the stream. If you're there, even under lurker status, she's not going to go because you're there and she could get into trouble.

Once there's no parent there to answer to, it's up to the child to make the decision - does she do the right thing even though there's nobody to catch her doing what she's been told not to?

Just using the park as an example, it could be anywhere the child is not supervised directly by the parents.

There are plenty of situations/scenarios that shape our character growing up when we have to answer to/decide for ourselves and ourselves alone.
Great post Fin and a great example.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:00 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
[/b]
Yes, one example of this would be deciding whether to do something forbidden by the parent.

Say you had a rule that while at the park, Jennifer is not allowed to go to the edge of the stream. If you're there, even under lurker status, she's not going to go because you're there and she could get into trouble.

Once there's no parent there to answer to, it's up to the child to make the decision - does she do the right thing even though there's nobody to catch her doing what she's been told not to?

Just using the park as an example, it could be anywhere the child is not supervised directly by the parents.

There are plenty of situations/scenarios that shape our character growing up when we have to answer to/decide for ourselves and ourselves alone.

And a lovely life lesson when they choose to do what they are not supposed to do and need to deal with the real consequences of those actions without Mom or Dad there to rescue you. The child goes tot he edge of the strem, falls in and has to get herself all the way home soaking wet for example.

There is a balance to be struck. You need to protect them from real significant harm. But light non-permanent harm is a really strong educator!

Old 05-21-2012, 09:01 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
I think you are being irresponsible. There are many ways to allow children to feel responsible, to learn age appropriate skills. Voluntarily putting them at risk is not one of them. Kids are not safe these days....not alone in a park and not walking home by herself...No........ Just what are you thinking?? Question....have you done the sex offender search for your town??
National Sex Offender Registry - Family Watchdog
Welcome to Kids Live Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hml1976 View Post
I'm going to bring my almost 8yr old to the park on Saturday and attempt to leave her there for an hour or so (as long as there are other kids around). She can walk home. Does it make me nervous? Heck yes, but I agree with the concept of letting our children have some independence and freedom.

What do you all think about this?

Are Your Kids Safe Alone at the Park? | Healthland | TIME.com

Last edited by JanND; 05-21-2012 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: add text

Old 05-21-2012, 09:17 AM

13,429 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I think you are insane! Kids are not safe these days....and walking home by herself...No........ Just what are you thinking??
Oh for the love of all things reasonable. Kids have never been "safe".

Nobody's safe, the world is not safe, life is not just about being safe.

Being prepared and aware is the closest anybody's ever going to get to being safe.

Of all the beloved childhood memories people carry with them, not many include the thought "I didn't get to do (whatever), but at least I was safe".

Old 05-21-2012, 09:22 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
Quote:
I think you are being irresponsible. There are many ways to allow children to feel responsible, to learn age appropriate skills. Voluntarily putting them at risk is not one of them. Kids are not safe these days....not alone in a park and not walking home by herself...No........ Just what are you thinking?? Question....have you done the sex offender search for your town??
National Sex Offender Registry - Family Watchdog
Welcome to Kids Live Safe
It very annoying when people don't read the thread.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:29 AM

I read the OP's post. I responded to the OP's post. Responding to everyone else's posts is not necessary.....

Old 05-21-2012, 09:38 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,515 times
Quote:
I read the OP's post. I responded to the OP's post. Responding to everyone else's posts is not necessary.....
The points you raised were already raised by others and countered by yet others, discussed back and forth in great detail until the horse was dead, and the OP already checked in and reported that the child's trip to the park was uneventful. ETA: The upshot of the thread is that different families have different types of parks, different types of neighborhoods, different thresholds for allowing their children different types of independence, different kids mature at different ages, and different parents seem to have different ways of interpreting documented risk vs. perceived risk. It is really oversimplifying to say the OP's choice was "good" or "bad."

Last edited by eastwesteastagain; 05-21-2012 at 09:54 AM..

Old 05-21-2012, 09:47 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
I just checked my town and the surrounding area. There is one registered sex offender.

Hopefully, this helps parents understand that there is NOT a sex offender on every corner. I live in an area where some kids actually walk home from school. Others are bussed or picked up by parents. The walkers are probably more in danger from the masses of cars that gather in front of the school, speed through the school zone and pull into traffic without checking their blind spot.

We have a local park. Kids walk to it and play without parental supervision.( I'm very thankful to live in an area where that's possible and where parents feel OK to let them do that.)

Old 05-21-2012, 09:53 AM

13,429 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I just checked my town and the surrounding area. There is one registered sex offender.

Hopefully, this helps parents understand that there is NOT a sex offender on every corner. I live in an area where some kids actually walk home from school. Others are bussed or picked up by parents. The walkers are probably more in danger from the masses of cars that gather in front of the school, speed through the school zone and pull into traffic without checking their blind spot.

We have a local park. Kids walk to it and play without parental supervision.( I'm very thankful to live in an area where that's possible and where parents feel OK to let them do that.)
Not to mention that you can pee in a bush when you think no one's looking and end up on the sex offender registry.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:03 AM

I stand by my comment, which was based on my own opinion, not my opinion of other folks opinions. Everyone has their own opinions....To attack my opinions or my right to state my opinions on an open forum is your problem. I question folks that make a hobby out of offering derogatroy commentary on other opinions. Looks to me like this subject has been covered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting