Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 07:40 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So why are your daughters whining and (apparently) thinking they are entitled?

My sons were raised around some VERY wealthy people. We were not. They knew their friends would get things and have advantages we couldn't afford.

After whining just a couple of times (and having the economic facts of life explained to them at about the age of five) they wouldn't have thought of whining. They knew that was not going to fly. And they knew better than to tell me I was cheap. It's called respecting your parents. So maybe a lack of respect is a common denominator.
Because that's what their peers do . Did you not read anything I posted here? Well, I don't know if their peers whine but they, certainly, think they are entitled. I think TV is a strong influence here but peers are as well. I don't know if I call whining lack of respect. My dd asks for everything but only gets a few things. Of course then she tells me her life stinks or asks why I hate her... I do recall her PROMISING she'd never become a drama queen....seems kids can't be trusted either .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 07:44 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Neighbors were not that alike in my neighborhood. Some families made way more money than other families (by way, I mean at least double). While most people were Christians in my neighborhood, a good number of denominations were represented. Beliefs on parenting didn't differ too much in as much as the parents were in charge. We kids didn't have all that much in common, either. Lots of different racial and (your favorite) socioeconomic backgrounds. Some were actual immigrants and some had family who lived in the area for a hundred years (long time for that area). Since my schools were not just kids from my immediate neighborhood, we had Muslims, Christians, Jews, and Buddhists at the school. People didn't talk alike as some spoke only English, some spoke Spanish, some spoke Vietnamese, some spoke Korean, etc. A number of kids spoke with accents. Not every neighborhood is like yours.
You are alike enough that you chose to live together and if you send your kdis to the local school, to school your children together. That's alike enough to have a lot in common. I never said you had everything in common. As with anything human, there will be a distribution, however, most in the group will be within two standard deviations of the mean.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:49 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,186,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Because that's what their peers do . Did you not read anything I posted here? Well, I don't know if their peers whine but they, certainly, think they are entitled. I think TV is a strong influence here but peers are as well. I don't know if I call whining lack of respect. My dd asks for everything but only gets a few things. Of course then she tells me her life stinks or asks why I hate her... I do recall her PROMISING she'd never become a drama queen....seems kids can't be trusted either .
I agree that peers have an influence but c'mon, they don't make your child whine.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:49 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Quote:

Who cares what their peers do (and apparently you don't really know anyway. You're assuming they whine because YOUR kids whine)? I can tell you not all kids whine about those things. If your kids feel entitled then that's on you. Just like you put it on the parents of other kids who you believe feel entitled.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:50 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Because that's what their peers do . Did you not read anything I posted here?
Oh yes, I read every word you posted.

I just have a tremendously difficult time relating to your problems because in my home family is a greater influence than peers.

But wait! There's more!

When we felt TV was a bad influence we.... TURNED IT OFF.

No smart mouthed kids. No sense of entitlement. None of my kids ever called me "cheap". (Well, maybe when I pretended to have a hard time coming up with the rent when I landed on Baltic Avenue and it had two hotels on it.)

Old 07-03-2012, 07:53 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan43201 View Post
I find Americans kids to be more disrespectful than others why?
Guess: Probably for the same reason foreigners are so judgemental and bigoted against Americans.

Answer #1: they were taught to be that way by their parents, who didn't know any better, poor sods.

Answer #2: Because you are looking for disrespectful american children. Seek, and ye shall find. Look for lovely children who respect people who deserve it, intelligent children, happy cheerful children, and you'll find those.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:55 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,089,333 times
Quote:
You are alike enough that you chose to live together and if you send your kdis to the local school, to school your children together. That's alike enough to have a lot in common. I never said you had everything in common. As with anything human, there will be a distribution, however, most in the group will be within two standard deviations of the mean.
Oh my word, why can you never admit that you are wrong? Sending your children to the local school does not necessarily mean you have a lot in common. It means yous end your children to the local school.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:01 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,798,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post

Who cares what their peers do (and apparently you don't really know anyway. You're assuming they whine because YOUR kids whine)? I can tell you not all kids whine about those things. If your kids feel entitled then that's on you. Just like you put it on the parents of other kids who you believe feel entitled.
I whined about everything growing up. But that's because I kept getting a reaction. It was rarely the reaction I wanted, but I was a kid. Kids can't be expected to comprehend such lofty notions as future consequences for current behavior. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it! I see kids at the store where I work behaving like that and I cringe, because I remember doing the same thing, and as an adult, it looks so - dorky. I'm still a dork, but I don't whine anymore.

It's possible, Ivorytickler, that all those -other- kids whine, because they see -your- kids whine. Why must it be the other family's fault?

Old 07-03-2012, 08:06 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
My kids were far from perfect but we were very clear on our decisions and the reasons for them. They may have whined about certain rules from time to time or those kinds of things but what their friends had compared to what they had? Not that I recall. Once when my son was in elem school he was going on about some friend's cool car and why couldn't we have that instead of the minivan. I explained that we could, if he was willing to not play sports and have us move into an apartment where he would share a room with his sister. And, when we took vacations, the dog could not come and he'd be squished in the back with his sister and all the other stuff. Never had to have that discussion again.

Old 07-03-2012, 08:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
You are alike enough that you chose to live together and if you send your kdis to the local school, to school your children together. That's alike enough to have a lot in common..
You don't understand how So Cal works. Sometimes the ONLY thing you have in common with your neighbor is that you are stuck in the same traffic jam on the way to work and you both like chocolate cake donuts. Big house. Small house. College student. Millionaire. Food stamp recipient. Mexican. Hippie. Single mother. Surfer. Motorcycle gang member. Retired rocket scientist. Motel maid. Member of the Crips. Business owner. Bus driver. Ex-colonel in the Vietnamese Army. Longshoreman.

And that's only one side of the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting