Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 07:16 PM

141 posts, read 426,242 times

Advertisements

I was spanked as a child but only when I really deserved it. I was never beaten to oblivion or abused in any way. My parents always sent me to my room while they calmed down and then they came to my room and told me what I was doing wrong . Then I got a spanking. As I got older the spankings decreased. I turned out just fine.

I have a five year old daughter and she gets spankings when she deserves them. I try never to give them in public. This is not the only discipline my husband and I use. Spankings are a last resort for us but they are sometimes needed.

If you choose not to spank your kids that is fine. Every child is different so your form of discipline may not work with my child.

I love my daughter very much and I want her to grow up to respect her elders and others around her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 07:20 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Oh crap, just realized this is not in the NYC forum anymore.

I'm going to leave this thread. Mods, edit my posts if you found them overly aggressive.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:24 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Oh crap, just realized this is not in the NYC forum anymore.

I'm going to leave this thread. Mods, edit my posts if you found them overly aggressive.
Umm.. Before you leave:

The real MAN is the guy who steps in. The guy who thinks a girl/woman "deserves it"? (Your words.) No. Not a man. A bully. Definitely not a man.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:35 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Haven't read the whole thread but if and when I have a kid, and he throws a tantrum, I'm going to slap him into oblivion. If any person dares to call the cops on me, man or woman, they are getting slapped too. End of story.
Good. That will put you in jail. I would gladly take your abuse so that a child may be free of it.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:36 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Quote:
Mind your damn business. I can't wait till your nosiness comes back to bite you.... hopefully you learn your lesson.
Children being hit by adults are everyone's business.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:36 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I think the tide is turning.

Many of us have seen enough kids raised without discipline by parents who were afraid of hurting the child's self esteem (such an overused phrase). As a former teacher I saw loads of spoiled brats and the teachers weren't allowed to do anything, the school wasn't allowed to do anything, and the parents who COULD have done something, didn't care or didn't know enough to do anything.

Also....those of you who think it's liberals who support all this coddling of self esteem and lack of setting guidelines and boundaries, it's not true. It has little or nothing to do with our politics but with how we were brought up and what we know.

I was spanked and I'm fine. Every kid I knew was spanked and they also turned out fine. They even have SELF ESTEEM! They EARNED that self esteem. Sheesh. Some people are so clueless. There's a HUGE difference between actual out of control child abuse and simply teaching a child to behave.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:42 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,881,741 times
Quote:
Mind your damn business. I can't wait till your nosiness comes back to bite you.... hopefully you learn your lesson.
This really shows a lack of respect for a child.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:42 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think the tide is turning.

Many of us have seen enough kids raised without discipline by parents who were afraid of hurting the child's self esteem (such an overused phrase). As a former teacher I saw loads of spoiled brats and the teachers weren't allowed to do anything, the school wasn't allowed to do anything, and the parents who COULD have done something, didn't care or didn't know enough to do anything.

Also....those of you who think it's liberals who support all this coddling of self esteem and lack of setting guidelines and boundaries, it's not true. It has little or nothing to do with our politics but with how we were brought up and what we know.

I was spanked and I'm fine. Every kid I knew was spanked and they also turned out fine. They even have SELF ESTEEM! They EARNED that self esteem. Sheesh. Some people are so clueless. There's a HUGE difference between actual out of control child abuse and simply teaching a child to behave.
So you want people to differentiate between actual abuse and spanking but you refuse to differentiate between lax parenting and choosing to employ other discipline methods than spanking.

Bit hypocritical isn't it?

Old 10-02-2012, 08:13 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
So you want people to differentiate between actual abuse and spanking but you refuse to differentiate between lax parenting and choosing to employ other discipline methods than spanking.

Bit hypocritical isn't it?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. There is child abuse. Real child abuse with physical harm inflicted by out of control parents. There is also spanking, and some people have decided that is it child abuse when it is not.

Lax parenting means lack of disciplining their kids. I don't care what kind of discipline the parents use; it's none of my business. If they are abusing their kids, it IS definitely my business and everyone else's business too.

I don't care if the parents discipline by taking away privileges, scolding, giving a stern look, spanking, etc.--whatever works. Kids actually WANT guidelines and boundaries. They want to learn how to behave. It's the parents' responsibility to teach them. Kids want to know that their parents CARE enough to discipline them, kids do not really enjoy getting away with things.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:56 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Good. That will put you in jail. I would gladly take your abuse so that a child may be free of it.
Not me. I'd kick him in the cajones. New York Style
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting